| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good Pedal Steel for Beginner and Beyond
Ryland Buller

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 10:26 am    

I'm looking into getting into pedal steel (lap steel for now) and was trying to get a gauge on what steels are out there that would be user friendly for a beginner but also have good crafstmanship and sound. I'd say a good estimate for price range would be around $1500-2000; a used instrument is fine as well. What do you all think?
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 10:37 am    

a newer sd-10 all pull guitar. an emmons legrande,1,2, or 3. a fessenden is a great option, a mullen, a GFI, or a desert rose would probably be a good choice also. just make sure whatever you get has at least 3 pedals and preferably 4 or 5 knee levers. JMHO...

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 12:29 pm    

RYLAND.....
I've posted this before when asked , but I asked myself several questions and the best answer always came up as a new STAGE-ONE .Altho if you'd like to get into C6th someday maybe a used D10 is the answer .The internet between the SGF & manufactures sights really can help .

****Bob V****
Peavey Guitars
Chris Dorch

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 12:37 pm    

New, there are some good things in your price range. Used, there are some things that are better than "new" in your price range.

You have a large pool to choose from. Your price point does put you out of the market of the "top of the line, best in class" type steels that everyone raves about. But, there isn't much you can go wrong with in your range.

Study up on the features you want... 1 or 2 necks, body type (Single size/Double size), how many raises/lowers, pedals/levers, 8/10/12 strings, tunings.. etc... then find something in your range.

Good luck and welcome to the sickness..
Paul Fowler

Louisville,Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 2:20 pm     carter starter

Very Happy I was lucky to find a good used carter starter that looks like new and plays well,being a newbie i had been looking aroung for quite some time .however i did not have a great amount of money,so i chose this one from a private source.I AM PLEASED WITH IT,AS TIME PROGRESSES AND I LEARN MORE ,I WILL PROBABLY LOOK INTO THE DERBY STEEL AS THEY ARE MADE HERE IN KENTUCKY.GOOD LUCK PAUL.[/u]

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 8:25 pm    

Ryland,the Jackson Steel Guitar Company makes great steels, and they've got several models for players of all levels. If you are looking for a single neck ten string, they build a model called the BlackJack that is perfect for any player-very light guitar, a BlackJack Custom, similar to the BlackJack for players of all levels too, and the Ultralite, which is another great guitar. All of those guitars have three pedals and they can have one, two, three, or four knee levers. They are built by David and Harry Jackson, who are the sons of the man behind the Sho-Bud steel guitar, Harold "Shot" Jackson.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 9:33 pm    

I will say, yet again, beginner and beyond... Zum Stage One cannot be beat... my weapon of choice...

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 9:52 pm    

Agreed. Zum Stage One. Ultimate beginner steel.
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2010 11:35 pm    

I didn't just pick the STAGE-ONE as a student guitar, but as a lite weight,reliable,well built,economical guitar. Smile

I will always be mainly a 6 stringer ,so an expensive guitar was foolish (IMO)for me .And I didn't want to start out repairing stuff either,altho I craved for another BUD Razz (and since I couldn't get a BUD LITE) Razz . Also due to an injury weight was key .

Finally with help from Cool MIKEY D Cool ,I figured if he could record with his I could putz around with mine !

****Bob V****
Peavey Guitars
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 6:02 pm    

Bob Kindy at the Montgomery County Music Center in Conroe, Tex, 936 756 0252 has purchased the Carpsteel line and is building under the name LEGEND. This guitar will take you through beginner, intermediate, and in to the pros. Give Bob a call. Jody.
Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2010 7:39 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=188377
Ryland Buller

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 9:54 am    

Thanks for all the Replys. As I am a performing musician, I am interested in the how the Stage One will perform as a gigging instrument (is the tone up to par, etc...)
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 11:00 am    

Ryland, (scroll down the thread) http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=186482&highlight=

fwiw, it's my main guitar. Recording, under the microscope, it's excellent. Hence, it also is, live.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 6:45 pm    

I started out with a sd 10 msa.And am also learning from this great forum.If you are serious about playing and willing to spend what you said.Get you an instrument beyond the intro guitar.I agree with everyone that 3 pedals and 4 knees should be the norm.That way you won't have to buy another guitar when you run out of options.I think this forum has a selection of guitars in the for sale section.These members will guide you. Elbo
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Ryland Buller

Alaska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2010 5:39 pm    

I feel a bit limited by the non-adjustable linkage. I definitely like to get "comfortable", and am picky in regards to that area. Would this be a hindrance for someone like me? I appreciate all the help so far.
Blaz Patty

Slovenia
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2010 8:06 am     Think of PROMAT

Hei

I have a single neck guitar from PROMAT. Great guitar to start with and to stick with it forever.

Since you are searching for one you should definitely take a look at PROMAT guitars.

Here is a web link to their site:

http://www.promatsteelguitars.com/

I got a brand new S-10 PROMAT made by mr. Papič and guitar is absolutely fantastic. I was having opportunity to try out some other student and regular guitars but for now there is not one out there fitting better to me.

When you play a PROMAT you will notice difference in ton, sustain and to me much important subject of a pedal steel - response of pedals and levers which is corect and sensitive. Promat is great...

Here you have some pictures of my guitar:

All my best!!!
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 10:33 am    

Blaz,

your guitar is 100% professional model and not a student model... right now Promat is working on the student model wich is going to be push pull also. Here are few pictures but for questions people need to contact Mr.Papic directly.

Db