| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  shipping to France
Ron Castle

West Hurley,NY
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 2:22 am    

Don't know if this belongs here but it seems someone might know:

Whats the best way/carrier to ship a psg to
France from the US? What paperwork is needed?
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 4:03 am    

I've shipped several guitars to France. I've used UPS, FedEx and USPS. Believe it or not, USPS has been the easiest and best so far. Take the guitar to the post office and fill out one form... you're done.
Remi Villeneuve

Montreal
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 4:21 am    

USPS is the way to go !!!

Never had a single problem with them and I've been buying stuff from US for many years.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 6:29 am    

if the item's weight & size does not exceed the limits you're good to go w: USPS Ron
Cheaper & reliable
send via Priority Mail Intl ( 6/10 days - cheaper ) rather than by Express mail Intl ( 3/5 days)
mandatory : include a bill of sale & waybill in a accessible clear enveloppe on the box for customs & handling agents
USPS will give you a customs form to fill out :
nature of goods : used musical instrument
declared value : 350 $
check : gift, merchandise, sample accordingly
weight : 12 lbs
that's it
important : do not insure for more than the '"declared value" for customs or the receiver won't get it
important : make sure the receivers fone # is included w: the address - that makes for a smoother delivery

if your item won't go via USPS, then DHL FedEX or Bax Global (airport pickup only) will be the alternatives
more expensive tho'
need any further assistance, give me a shout Ron
Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 4:47 pm    

Bax Global is cheapest by far if it's over 75 lbs.
Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 6:57 pm     International Shipping (France)

USPS is the only way to go. But their are limits.
You would be using US Priority Mail International

There are dimension limits and I believe it can not weigh over 70 pounds total shipping weight. The maximum size dimensions for Priority Mail International parcels vary by country and are noted in the Individual Country Listings. See 231.23 for determining length or length and girth combined for rectangular and nonrectangular parcels.

For example I shipped a Zum SD-10 to Australia using the US Mail Priority International. The price from the US Postal Service using Priority International was $386.25, and that was insuring for $3,200.00. I checked Fedex prior to shipping and their price for the same was $692.00. So it was almost double.

Also certain countries will not insure for full amount. I just shipped a pedal steel to England and they would only insure it for $650.00 Maximum. I sold the pedal steel for $1,300.00. I left it up to the buyer if he wanted to take the chance of it only being insured for $650.00 and for the price difference in shipping it was a no brainer to him. So I just packed it up real good and used a lot of bubble wrap.

So I use Priority Int'l whenever possible.

Also there is only one form to fill out and that is
a CUSTOM's DECLARATION FORM and only take a couple minutes to fill out.

Al Vesel Smile Smile
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 7:24 pm     International shipping (France)

I agree with everything said here. Don't neglect the "commercial invoice" for France (and many other countries). I had an item held up in a Paris post office once because I'd neglected to include two copies of one (plus one in the box), and even though I faxed one as requested the item was still returned and I had to resend at my expense. Those are the lessons you remember best, when it costs. If you want, I have a PDF of a commercial invoice fill-in form that I can send you that I got off the web someplace. The only other problem I had with France was when I happened to ship there during a postal strike, and the item got held up for some time.
Incidentally, it's worth getting acquainted with the international postal regulations for various countries to find out which ones require commercial invoices if you do much shipping overseas. It's all at the usps.com site. Last tip: the H.S. Tariff code for most guitars is 920290. This is optional info on the customs form but it doesn't hurt to be complete.
Ron Castle

West Hurley,NY
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 2:55 am    

wow thanks folks, I never even thought of
USPS although I use priority package service every day in the US. Guess this was the right place to post the question
Many thanks to all
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 2:57 am    

For postal service shipping there is a size limit for combined length, width and girth. However, even if your item exceeds that limit it often can, but not always, still be shipped as "oversize" which entails an additional fee. That additional fee is often hefty but nevertheless it is an option.

Finally, restrictions for overseas shipping via the post office is country dependent. That is, what applies for Great Britain might not apply if the same item is shipped to, say, France, Israel or wherever. That is especially true for insurance limits as a previous posting mentioned.

I work for the USPS.
Eddy Scheepers

Belgium, Europe
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 5:29 am    

I received my S-10 from Ann Fabian/Carter via BAX global/Schecter :appr. 200 USD. Paid for the shipping upon arrival of the package, bill for income taxes/VAT was sent to me later. BAX was very helpful.

Eddy Scheepers
Robert Mayo

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2010 8:18 am    

I use USPS for all overseas shipments, easy, no extra fee's for the buyer and they (USPS) has all the customs forms for free.