| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie Question
Ron Ross

Midwest City,Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 8:51 am    

Hi all...Im brand new to the forum and looking to by my first pedal steel..I dont want a "starter" model.Im considering all brands..could use some input from the forum.Im thinking maybe a Rains or a Jackson.Maybe a Mullen or a Zum..Also which is better for a newbie to learn on..Day or Emmons?10..12 or ext e9?.Im sure all these questions have been asked and answered before but like i said im a newbie..Thanks for all your help
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 9:09 am    

I can't answer your question as well as many other members can, as I haven't played all the brands you mentioned, but I'm glad to see you're not considering a starter model. You're much better off buying a used professional model.
I've never heard a bad Sho-Bud. Don't buy an Emmons unless you like to tinker... they need a lot of tender love and care to get properly adjusted. Get a twin-necked 10-string model, with at least three pedals and four knee levers, and stick to E9 and C6 tunings, so you won't be out-on-a-limb when interacting with most other players. (As a beginner, if you buy a 12-string with Universal tuning you're jumping in at the deep end.)
Steven Dingle

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 6:52 pm    

Hi

I went through this a while back... I totally agree that if you have the money, buy a professional grade PSG. Everyone has a favorite, but for my $$$, give Fred Justice (Justice Steel Guitars)a call at 480-986-2599. And, Nah...he doesn't pay me...just teaches me and makes a killer axe.

Good luck!
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 8:35 pm     Re: Newbie Question

Ron Ross wrote:
Hi all...Im brand new to the forum and looking to by my first pedal steel..I dont want a "starter" model.Im considering all brands..could use some input from the forum.Im thinking maybe a Rains or a Jackson.Maybe a Mullen or a Zum..Also which is better for a newbie to learn on..Day or Emmons?10..12 or ext e9?.Im sure all these questions have been asked and answered before but like i said im a newbie..Thanks for all your help

Ron, the Jackson Steel is a wonderful steel. As a Jackson Steel player/owner, I can tell you that Jackson steels are wonderful in every way. If you like the legendary Sho-Bud sound and tone, the Jackson Steel is the steel for you. They make several models-the BlackJack, the BlackJack Custom, Pro IV, Madison '63, and The Edge Ultralite. The BlackJack and BlackJack Customs are not starter steels-they're built for any level. David and Harry Jackson build the wonderful Jackson Steels, and they are the sons of Shot Jackson, who built Sho-Bud steel guitars.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 9:04 pm     Re: Newbie Question

Ron Ross wrote:
...Im thinking maybe a Rains or a Jackson. Maybe a Mullen or a Zum...

Ross,

I'm thinking you've already got the right idea. Idea

All four are top brands.
Play before you pay is all I can say (if you can).

Personally I bought a Mullen.
Its a narrow SD10 3X5 which is enough to last a lifetime in my opinion.

There are lots of steels available at low prices these days, so you have a buyers edge. Its a good time to get a great steel! Let us know what you wind up deciding on. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Smile

Clete
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2010 4:33 am    

EVERYBODY makes good steels these days. It's no longer a question of "What's better," but rather "Which brand has the features I like?" For the answer to that question, the best thing to do is attend the convention where you can see and test drive them all. If you can't do that, then you should go to a steel guitar shop that has many different brands.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2010 4:50 am    

I believe it takes a year or two just to figure out what you prefer.
Then you will prefer what you started with and continue trying different things before you settle into what is best for you. Shocked Smile
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 1:13 am    

Quote:
I've never heard a bad Sho-Bud.

You never heard or saw the Sho~Bud Super Pro I used to have.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2010 2:57 am     D-10 Carter

There was a D-10 Carter for sale here somewhere..There was a thread about someone who bought a Sho-Bud Maverick and the person who sold it to him had the Carter for $1200.00. That's a great buy if you can find it...Carson