| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Albert Lee, Hogan's Heroes, and some stellar guests!!!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2010 7:55 am    

Gerry was kind enough to send me this YouTube link showing the band playing at Martyrs in Chicago last week.

They were joined on stage that night by Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, Bobby Cochran (nephew of the late Eddie C.) and James Burton!!!! The video is somewhat compromised and the sound is not the greatest, either, but what a delight it is to have some record of such a confluence of talent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGfh3kiPF_Q

Albert is singing 'Tear It Up' and everyone takes a solo or two (a fine job by Gerry on C6thl!) Bobby is (I believe) playing a Gretsch; I can see the headstock weaving in-and-out of view. Ricky Skaggs has a b-bender on his acoustic! (IS that guitar a Tacoma?) Vince has a gorgeous old Tele, Albert his 'signature' MusicMan, and I assume Gerry has his JCH, although we don't get a glimpse of him. James probably has his signature Tele; while we see him clearly, his guitar is elusive.

The drummer is Peter Baron, on bass is Brian Hodgson, and I'm assuming Gavin Povey is playing piano (I can't see him!) Perhaps Gerry will confirm that for me.

As I said, it's not of terrific quality, but to see so many influential pickers under the same roof has to be well-worth a serious look! Many thanks to Gerry for giving me the 'OK' to share this on the Forum.

(Why am I always in the wrong place at the wrong time????)
Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2010 12:57 pm    

Roger,

Thanks for posting this! It was a very special evening for all of us! You're correct that Bobby was playing a Gretsch (White Falcon, I believe - beautiful guitar). Ricky was, indeed, playing a Tacoma with a string-bender! Vince played a lovely old white Tele and James played one of his signature Teles.

Yes, Gavin Povey, our great piano / keyboard man did play that terrific solo and I actually used my E9 neck on the PSG solo. Cool

It's testimony as to how much Albert is rated that Vince, James, Ricky and Bobby all came along to play! I feel very lucky to have been up on that stage that evening. What a shame that you missed it, Rog! Sad I know how much you'd have loved it.

Thanks to Peavey, who helped out Brian, Gavin and myself, with amps. We're all very grateful. Thanks, also, to John Norris, from Peterson Tuners, who came along to the gig; and thanks to the whole of the sell-out crowd who were there to witness the evening and who were so enthusiastic! Very Happy

Gerry

Gerry
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2010 1:16 pm    

HA!!!!! Fooled again! If that'd been me playing that solo, it would have been on E9! That'll teach me - and to think I nearly erased the 'C6th' from my original post to be on the safe side.... Embarassed

All those guys are truly significant players, but James is so deeply ingrained in my musical upbringing (we're talking Ricky Nelson here!) that I'd have been a bit over-awed in his presence; well done for keeping your head and playing so well!
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2010 9:02 am    

Gerry....PLEASE do us West Coasters a favor....have Albert book Hogans Heroes out here in the wild west soon!

Hope you've had a great trip to the Colonies my friend!

Rick
Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 1:33 pm    

Rick,

I hope you're having a good Independence Day! We had a great time during our first experience of touring the Colonies as a band. Of course, Albert has been over there, undercover, for 35+ years and has done a stalwart job, paving the way for this current campaign! Winking Seriously, everyone we met was super-friendly and the audiences were most appreciative. It far exceeded our expectations.

I shall pass on your wishes to Albert and see what can be done. It'd be really good to see you again. What are you up to? Any chance of you coming this way and over the pond?

Gerry
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2010 1:41 pm    

Here is another cut looks like from the same night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpEV5CTWbE&NR=1

Some bodacious picking here. Also looked like they had a lot of fun. I heard some yellow rose of Texas and smoke on the water mixed in there. I used to know the name they used when they put stuff like that in another piece of music but for now it escapes me. It is a great listen. I have a cassette of Albert way back yonder been listening to him (and Burton)for many years. Very Happy
Mark Lavelle

San Mateo, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2010 10:00 pm    

Great stuff! Thanks for the link...

Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2010 10:05 pm    

To locate more gems search Youtube for: albert lee Martyrs
Des Hetherington

New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 1:36 pm    

i just hate the sound of that tinny thin sounding guitar Albert plays theses days, wheres his old Tele?

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 10:09 am    

i know des must be kidding. albert's tone is anything but thin and tinny. he does get his distinctive signature tone from his fingers and rig.
i've been really fortunate to play a few gigs with albert...not because i'm good but cause i'm so cute!
please tell albert hello from me!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 12:28 pm    

Chris:

I wouldn't describe Albert's tone as 'tinny', either, but, like Des, I did prefer hearing him on a Tele; his 'signature' MM is Strat-like, and I've always favoured Teles over Strats.

He's just so musical, as well as accomplished.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 3:04 pm    

oh i understand..i pretty much prefer anyone on a tele also, but i've come to appreciate the sound he gets now and when he wangs the low e it's anything but thin and tinny! it's also a sound unique to himself, which more people should work on, i think.

vince's tele tone is absolutely one of my favorites and also unique to himself.
Des Hetherington

New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 3:43 pm    

ohh yes, Now, Vince has the tone to die for, and his execution of notes is stunning, but i just cant adapt to Alberts new guitar, sorry guys i just can to get on with it, i love his playing and always will,

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2010 8:35 am    

...by the way...albert's 'new' guitar (if we're talking about going to music man from tele) has been his guitar of choice for 'at least' over 10+ years...maybe 20!