| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing a Carter Starter
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2010 4:37 pm    

Now that I have your attention, one of my students (Mary) has a Carter Starter and when the pedals are pressed the pedal board bends. If we had a new pedal board made from hardwood would that be better? Or should we just get some regular Carter legs and pedals and use those? Your advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Brian Henry on 17 Jul 2010 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 6:21 am    

One more question, what is the starter's pedal board made of?

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 6:29 am    

Smile mite just get a piece of Al bar stock from the hw store and reinforce the Carter bar....just a thought ..Stormy Winking
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 9:27 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187596
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=182214
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=107223
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=107825
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=155529
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=161133
Check out the above.

Brian, that was the first thing I noticed on the Carter Starter. The pedal board is made of wood, and it always bends. You need to have a completely new metal pedal board made, and while you're about it change those awful L-bar pedals and move the pedals and knee levers to the right. Then change the pickup. I've done all that. It's hardly worth working on a Carter Starter though. You can spend hours on it and it's still a cheaply-made instrument.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2010 10:31 am    

so what if it bends if the function is still correct.!?
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 12:11 pm    

Even though I haven't played on in about 5 years, I'm still pretty impressed with the Carter Starter and would recommend it to any beginner.

As for your question, You could buy some aluminum channel pretty cheap and make a new pedal board. But if it doesn't affect the tuning/playing of the instrument, why bother.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 7:19 pm    

Alan, You are dead on Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Remember the YUGO, No matter you much time and money you spent on it, It was STILL a piece of --it. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2010 11:08 pm    

Can you get a better pedal steel for $500?
Seriously, I'm asking.
gs

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gary Richardi

SoCal, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 11:29 am    

Of all the things that make me a terrible steel player, the pedal bar bending on my CS isn't one of them. I know 'cause I sound the same on other instruments. I never noticed the bar bending. I had to read about it here.
Rick Lodholz

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 12:20 pm     Fwiw

I have a Carter Starter at home with a cheap Crate amp set up in my "Music Room"-(spare bedroom). I keep headphones plugged into the amp and the guitar is set up right in front of my TV for practice with the various DVD's and books and tabs that I have accumulated. I do most of my practice in that situation.

I also have a 74 LDG with a Hilton pedal and a Fox modded NV 400 that I leave at my buddies house 32 miles away. I practice there every Mon nite with him and a few very talented musicians who show up regularly just to play. These gentleman invited me to sit with them and are very patient and kind to this fledgling. I am very fortunate in that respect.

I have found that I have to work hard to have the mechanics down pat on the Carter and that in doing so the transition to the LDG feels really good when I take what I practiced at home to that environment. It all seems to come together, if you will.

It may not make sense to others, BUT I find this forces me to be better-Carter requires more pressure on the tone bar, the LDG/NV sounds better, the LDG is easier to pick, etc. Anyway I believe it's working for me and I feel good about it...The Carter has a place in my heart...YMMV.

Regards

Rick

74 LDG-George L Pup & cables, NV 400 w/extreme mod by Ken Fox, Hilton Pedal, Tama Throne.

International Sho-Bud Brotherhood Member # 1974