| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  is this what i need
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 4:57 pm    

i know i had a post not to long ago about learning material.my goal is to learn the chords and other things i need to know to play the pedal steel guitar.i have had several people tell me the jeff newman material is what i need.i just want to know if this material would be helpful.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 5:12 pm    

It's some of the best instruction you an get. There are others who have very good stuff, but I think Jeff covered all the bases just fine. I like his approach the best. He teaches you HOW to play, not WHAT to play.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 6:24 pm     What you need?

Daniel, read this thread and then get Winnie Winston's book. You will not be sorry you did, it is historic, chocked full of info and a great place for a beginner of steel to start his library of information. Then, by all means get Jeff Newman's "Up From The Top Series". Not cheap, but about as good as can be bought. IMO

The thread: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187692

The book: http://pedalsteelmusic.com/instruction.html#I200

Last edited by Dick Sexton on 13 Jul 2010 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 2:07 am    

I agree...get the Winnie Winston book.

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 2:36 am     Winston

I think the Winston book, will give you a "quick start", as well as information about the mechanics, maintenance, and more !
Good luck
Rick
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 8:01 am    

I think Jeff Newman's VIDEOS (now in DVD?) are great as they start at the beginning and PROGRESSED from there.
I also believe that everyone owes it to themselves to study Maurice Anderson's "The Missing Link" course.

... J-D.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 9:19 am    

i have got the winnie winston i have read some of it. i am not really learning anything from it it seems hard to learn from it.
Bruce Tyner

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 9:40 am    

Daniel, I've been doing E9 for about three years now. Its alot of fun. I got the W. Winston and Dewitt Scott book, also there is a Melbay chord chart available too. Alot of the other material available is kinda expensive, if you're not sure about the content. What helps me the most is going to see some guys play. Watch, listen, and ask some questions if you can. If your ever in the New Orleans area, i'd be happy to show some of the things i've picked up. Good luck.

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 3:50 pm     beginner materials

Daniel McKee wrote:
i have got the winnie winston i have read some of it. i am not really learning anything from it it seems hard to learn from it.

I agree that the Winston book is hard for a beginner. The theory and mechanical stuff is great, but the songs are tough to play right off. Spread out three note grips, three pedals, grace note fills, and playing way up the neck are all great to learn, but a little challenging to start with.

I did much better with the Mel Bay's Deluxe Pedal Stel Guitar Method by DeWitt Scott. It starts off with single and double note melodies. I know some people cringe at the thought of playing "Careless Love" over and over, but that's what I had to do for a long time.

I still go back and play that stuff when I get rusty. I guess it depends on how quickly you learn and progress: for me, on psg, it is slow, very slow!
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 4:31 pm    

I've never had Scotty's Mel Bay Pedal Steel Guitar Method, but I found his Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar useful when I was starting out. There's lots of simple material, but if you feel like testing the waters you can flip to the back and dig into some challenging stuff from accomplished pros.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 7:29 am    

I learned the most about playing pedal steel from Scotty's material.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 7:59 am     Re: is this what i need

Daniel McKee wrote:
i know i had a post not to long ago about learning material.my goal is to learn the chords and other things i need to know to play the pedal steel guitar.i have had several people tell me the jeff newman material is what i need.i just want to know if this material would be helpful.

What tuning are you using, Daniel? How many pedals and knee levers?

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2010 12:37 pm     is this what i need

daniel this is just my 2 cents worth first off really learn you basic stuff like your right hand picking your left hand bar control you have to crawl before you can walk and if you cant pick it you cant play it this alone will take some time to learn it effectly practice this at 15-20 min intervals 4 or 5 times a day some times you will think your getting nowere on it then one day youll set down and low and behold you got it till you get the basic stuff down dont get so wrapped up in trying to learn a bunch of stuff you cant play yet it will just get overwelming and discourge you and tring to absorbe to much at one time will do the same practice every day till you get confident in what you are doing and it will go faster for you your learning curve that is dont get so wraped up trying to learn everything at once it will just eat you up i know you see and hear these storys were this person never has played a steel before or any other instument and they got one and in a week he is a player well it just dont happen like that so get you matterial that deals with the basic stuff and go slow till you got that down then move to the next level and dont get discourged an d have patience after all this is going to take years to learn thats my 2 cents