| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel Tuning for Kids
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 4:39 am    

I'm preparing to introduce 6-string lap steel to one or more of my grandkids...age 8-to-10 (we have 9 grandkids; 7 of them age 10 and under). I hope to spur some interest, without intimidating them.

QUESTION: What tuning would you recommend that I start with? I'm considering C6th (E-C-A-G-E-C), but there may be an easier tuning conceptually for kids. Any suggestions?

QUESTION: Any beginner-level teaching material (probably with tuning) that you know of?

Thanks,

bUd
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 7:57 am    

I have worked some with a young granddaughter and am currently working with a 6 year old grandson. Have found that A tuning (E,C#,A,E,C#,A) works well. With this tuning I can teach them to strum and chord in 3/4 and 4/4 time early on, and they can also play along with Pap after learning to chord. Later can teach them to play in high and low register for variety. Also, it worked well when I was taught and learning (in 1949). I have selected a Gibson BR-9 for the teaching instrument.
Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 9:11 am    

I'm about to give a Chinese Recording King lap steel to a friend's son who is 8 years old and interested in learning to play. Figured open G would be the friendliest place to start. DGDGBD.

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 9:23 am    

This one's tuned to open D. It just seems easiest for him. For now, I've got him using a flat pick. He doesn't know it yet, but I've got more plans for this lil' fella...

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 9:30 am    

I'd set it up with open D or E, so that they could play a do-re-mi melody on the first string, as well as making I-IV-V chords with a straight bar.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 11:43 am     What a diversity in tunings being offered here to beginners.

Isn't that sorta like teaching someone to drive from the right side with an automatic transmission, like they do in some foreign countries, then hoping one day that they'll be able to jump right in on the left side with a manual five speed and a clutch?

Why not do them an honest 'service' and teach them a standard tuning on which they can base all of their future playing? That approach makes sense to this olde man.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 12:25 pm    

You make a good point, Ray. But this kid has the attention span of a gnat. I'm just tryin' to ignite the spark of interest, in hope that the flame takes off. I only wish I was able to have started at his age. Wink

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 12:25 pm    

For a kid at that age I would have chosen a major chord tuning, mainly because of their strumming capabilities, so they get a feeling of actually 'making music' without things being too complicated at first.
Felix Blevins

Dunlap, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 12:33 pm    

If all else fails try, from High to Low E B G# E B G#.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 2:42 pm    

Any six string tuning that repeated the first three strings in the next lower register used to be called a "High Bass" tuning.
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 4:01 pm     To: Ray Montee

Ray Montee wrote: Why not...teach them a standard tuning on which they can base all of their future playing?

That's what I want to do. That's the very reason I suggested the C6th approach.

Ray, what tuning would you recommend to accomplish that?

When I started playing (Dickerson 6-string) in 1948, I used an E tuning, I think. It seems like it had a triad base. It was not a very versatile tuning, I do remember that.

Let me know what you think.

bUd
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 4:28 pm     I see nothing wrong with C6th or.....................

My comments were NOT directed at YOU!

Each suggestion in it's own right was worthy, IMHO.
It just seemed to me that a couple of them really had no basis for future playing.......as such.

Not anxious to cause a confrontation with anyone. It just seemed some of them were quite a bit off of the beaten path.

THANKS for taking the time to work with him.
Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 4:40 pm     Re: Lap Steel Tuning for Kids

Bud Harger wrote:
I'm preparing to introduce 6-string lap steel to one or more of my grandkids...age 8-to-10.

QUESTION: What tuning would you recommend that I start with? I'm considering C6th (E-C-A-G-E-C), but there may be an easier tuning conceptually for kids.

QUESTION: Any beginner-level teaching material (probably with tuning) that you know of?

Bud; it depends upon the 10 year old. I think the C6 tuning you chose is an ideal tuning for kids of that age. You can play major & minor chords on that tuning and books about using that tuning should not be difficult to locare.

However do not set your expectations too high. If kids are fond of Hip-Hop the lap steel may seem like something that only "OLD" people play.

-E

Last edited by Eugene Cole on 11 Jul 2010 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 6:50 pm    

High C6th is easier than standard C6th...low to high: E G A C E G

But I'd go with regular E major tuning...E B E G# B E.
There's several reasons for this.
1. It's versatile. Good for country, rock, blues, etc. It's even good for western swing and some jazz, if you're good with a lot of slants. But for kids, they're probably going to want to play more rock stuff, and it's great for that.

2. It's easy to make it sound good right away. A kid can play (very rough sounding) slide guitar blues pretty quickly. C6th sounds Hawaiian until you get really familiar with it, and that's not something a lot of kids are going to be interested in.

3. It relates well to E9th, (at least the positions) if the kid wants to learn pedal steel later on.

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 9:20 pm    

When I was very young, the E major tuning was easier than the old A major. I hated the A major back then!

Then C6th opened the door to even easier playing. If the child is old enough to grasp the C6th, it will be a good short cut, in my view.......
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 5:19 am    

My firist tuning was an "A major low bass" and an old
Nick Manaloff instruction book.
After a few months of struggles, I found a teacher
(We were living in Japan at the time.)
Who introduced me to the "High Bass", and then when
I complained that I wanted to learn "Steel Guitar Rag" he showed me the "E Major" tuning.
About 6 months later, a high school friend who had
taken "real lessons" at a younger age showed me
the C6th. Suddenly I could make sounds similar
to the country recordings of the day.
I started late at age 15.
The earlier tuning studies were not wasted...they helped me relate to what was going on with the C6th.
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 5:30 pm    

The following comments are in addition to my earlier post:

I looked back at the 3 Jerry Byrd courses which I have and reviewed the tunings Jerry used for instructing beginners.

The 1960 course started with the A major tuning E C# A E C# A, followed by E major, E 7th, C# minor, C# minor 7th, and C 6th tunings.

The 1990 video instruction atarted with the A major tuning, followed by E 7th, and C 6th tunings.

The last instruction course I believe was in the early 2000s (don't find a date on my course). Instruction in this course started with A major, followed by E major, E 7th, C# minor, C# minor 9th, E 13th, B 11th, and C 6th tunings.

In Jerry's book, he gives "The Evolution of Tunings for Steel Guitar" on page 120.

As stated earlier, I learned and was taught using the A major tuning, but have had no difficulty playing in each of the above tunings. Currently, the majority of my playing is in the A 6th tuning on 7 string lap steels.

Although I never met Jerry Byrd, I did have written communication with him during the last years of his life, and was always a very devoted fan.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 8:16 pm     AS Mr. Jackson stated above.....................

I sat down awhile ago and listened at length to JERRY BYRD explaining about his teaching routine.

He mentioned that most of his students ranged in age from 11 to college age. The majority had no idea what steel guitar was all about so they had fertile minds for him to mold.

Initially, he'd have them concentrate on the LEFT HAND........bar control and accuracy of fretting.

He started them out with six strings in A-tuning, Typically they'd cover 11 lessons in that tuning. He explained it was easier for the 'new ears' to hear the accuracy with their forward slants. The use of a tuning with "thirds" enabled the students to more readily recognize their good progress. He wouldn't get into reverse slants until later in the course.

(Personally, I have NEVER really liked that tuning, except for the BUD ISSACS' tunes; amd others like "B-Bowman Hop", "Playboy Chimes", "New Panhandle Waltz", etc.)

JERRY told me that he next moved the student into the E Maj. and E7th tunings in about 6-8 lessons.
This tuning required fewer bar slants and provided some great chords to strum.

Moving on, he'd then go thro' C#min and finally C6th.
He stressed that NOTE reading was an OPTION.

After about 22 lessons, the majority of his students could play really quite well.

Just tho't I'd share this with you. JERRY shared quite a lot of info' with me down thro' the years.
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 7:04 am     Hi

I would agree with Blake here A major with high bass is the best for new leaners.C6 is not a major tunning as for as I am conderned. With a you have the chord on the first 3 strings on the 3rd fret 1 & 2 the 3rd fret slant 5th fret slant and on up you have the scale notes.
They started us with A low bass and diagrams and we strumed the strings, it was easy and sounded good right off the bat, after 3 weeks we then tuned hight bass and started learning songs by notes. I think the diagrams just gave us the sound and feel of steel guitar.

ernie
Richard Sevigny

Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 9:06 am    

I think it would depend on what the child's musical tastes are like and how musically sophisticated they are.

Major tunings (especially E or D) allow the player to start making music right away and would give them a chance to concentrate on technique.

As much as I like C6's melodic flexibility, I wonder if it's a too complex for a novice player with little or no musical knowledge.

Ultimately, it would depend on how much time and effort you expect to invest.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

-Albert Einstein
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 10:19 am    

Here is Jerry Byrd talking about his teaching method for several minutes in 1976. This is what Ray Montee was referring to above.

http://picosong.com/RWs

He starts young students off in A and explains why.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 10:30 am    

Most students don't want to be loaded up with learning, they wanna rock right now. To me, starting them off with one of the sophisticated (less limiting) tunings is the way to go, and if they stick with it the other tunings are there for them to explore. C6, E13, B11, and their variations are great. I use a glorified E maj - G# E C# B G# E B E and can easily get most everything I'm capable of conjuring in any genre. Get them into exacting slants early, that's where the fun is, and where they'll get the best ear training, along with a great vibrato and proper glissing. Those basics will take them far, and an 8 string guitar should be highly considered to start off with.
Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 11:54 am    

Richard Sevigny wrote:
I think it would depend on what the child's musical tastes are like and how musically sophisticated they are....

As much as I like C6's melodic flexibility, I wonder if it's a too complex for a novice player with little or no musical knowledge.

Richard; I appreciated all of th points which you made. Your point about "what the child's musical tastes are" lies at the heart of which tuning I would select. I am going to tackle responding to your C6 being "too complex for a novice player..."

I want to believe that when I introduce C6 to a novice player I dumb my explanation of C6 tuning down to the following 2 points:
1. These string give a major chord.
2. These string give a minor chord.

I then play/demonstrate the major and the minor chords and explain that the bar allows a person to transpose those 2 chord in to any key.

Note: It is my premise here that most novices can hear the distinction between major and minor chords even if they have no idea why they sound different.

This is all that I feel I need to show a novice to give them the most-rudimentary aspects of C6 tuning to experiment with it.

Some days I think that any tuning is too complex for me; even after all of these years. But this issue is partially independent of this discussion.

It is not my opinion that C6 is too complex for a novice player to start with. But I do agree that most any open-major tuning is (by lacking a full-triad minor chord) less complicated.

If a persons musical tastes do not include music which uses many minor chords; then adding minor chords to the soup of their tuning is a waste of time.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Last edited by Eugene Cole on 14 Jul 2010 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 12:22 pm    

For 8-10 year old kids I'd say the most important thing to being with is - let them have fun! I've never had any lap steel students at that age, but quite a few guitar students, and in my experience the best way to feed their interest is to make it fun. The serious stuff comes soon enough....
Richard Sevigny

Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2010 2:59 pm    

Steinar,

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.

Eugene,

I like your approach to teaching C6. When completely deconstructed, it's actually two power chords (A and C) separated by a minor third.

As far as its suitability for a 10 year old I think back on my own son. I put him in guitar lessons about at 9 or 10. At that time he was little interested in music theory and didn't give a damn about anything except power chords. His teacher was more patient and imaginative than me and found songs that a) he liked and b) taught him a bit of music theory. Now, after 5 years of school band (playing trombone, of all things) he's become more musically sophisticated (he's outgrown the metal phase and has steered more towards pop & jazz).

That's what I was basing my "complexity" statement on Winking

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

-Albert Einstein