| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Does Anyone shoot Archery Bows and Arrows ?????
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2010 11:47 pm    

I traded some radio gear and recieved a now and arrows, came home one day and the 2 boys were out trying to hit the target, no luck, we decided to take lessons, the whole family fook up the sport. 6 weeks of classes, after a year I finnaly beat my instructor, he was 8 times state champion. Wing Company sponsered me after that. in 1972 I beat 5 state champs at the Feista of Five flags compi tition we put on in Pensacola, Fl. One of them was the pro shooting for Bear archery Co. Nan won 1st in class, Belinda won her class, the 2 boys came in 1 and 2, exiting times.
I think it is interesting to heat what we do on the side, I know playing is now firat place in our lives, but we also have other interest that is exciting also, so what do you do after work with steel???????
I would like to hear more from us steelers what we know on the side, makes life more interesting,
I have some very interesting stories I would like to share, 1 being some history afer the war north and south as it touched lake City fl. it is something that has never been printed before I live it here.

ernie

Last edited by Ernest Cawby on 12 Jul 2010 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Kirkley

Helendale, California
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 12:03 am     Other things besides PSG

Hi, Ernie,

Mate, I have four main things in my life...one is my Mrs and the family, second is aviation and the maintenance thereof, third is my Sho-Bud and the playing thereof, and fourth is woodworking. I am blessed to live in Tasmania now, where there are some really fantastic types of hardwoods to choose from, one of my favourites being Tasmanian Blackwood. I consider myself very fortunate that I have the opportunity to travel in pursuit of aviation maintenance, as in all over the Pacific, China, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, etc. While I am on these travels, I am constantly looking for hardwoods to send back to my little shop in Tasmania. I also have had some wonderful opportunities to play music on the ol' Sho-Bud with some fantastic artists, here in Australia and in other places. I love my Mrs more than all the other stuff combined, though!!

I know this sounds a bit disjointed, but I love my life, I love my Mrs, I love my tools, and I love the ol' Sho-Bud!!!
Mike
Geoff Cole

Marrara N.T. Australia
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 1:38 am    

Cricky Mick, we'll have to do something to cheer you up . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 11:38 am     Does anyone shoot Bows and Arrows Archery

Not for 40 years, but in my early 20's I was into it in a pretty big way. Belonged to an Archery club and competed just about every weekend. Inside in the winter and outside through the summer. I got pretty good, bare bow,in the upper B class, but never quite made it to A class. Lot of fun and good people. Still have my old Bear Polar Bear bow and aluminum arrows. I still have my hunting bow, I think it was called a black widow, or something like that. Do you have any idea if either of these bows have any collector's value?
Carson Leighton

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 12:14 pm    

I like being home now and working in my vegetable garden..It gives me peace and contentment..I used to hunt a lot, but never used a bow..I most always used a .308 semi-auto rifle for hunting..I'm getting so I don't really want to kill anything now though,,unless I absoutely had to, and to tell the truth,,as much hunting as I used to do,,I have always liked animals, and still have a lot of respect for them... I would rather just target practise a little,,but not with a bow..I guess I just never got into using one.. I still like to go fishing and I enjoy wood-working too,,and have a lot of nice tools to work with... I like airplanes too, WW2 stuff,,espcially fighters like the Vought Corsair and P-51 Mustang...I also like going on mini-trips with my wife,,just a couple of days or so at a time..We usually take in an air show every year.. I'm not so interested in playing anymore, like I used to be,,and I really don't know why..I would just as soon listen to someone else, and I like helping people if I can....Regards,,,Carson
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 2:19 pm    

Back when I was about 19 years old I got into Archery with my good Musician friend Spike (Tommy) Doss who took Bob Nolan's place with the Sons of he Pioneers. I had an all aluminum, 50# pull, Bow and we made our own strings. We would go to the "Roving Archery Course" in Los Angeles's Griffith Park. There were a series of long and short targets in a Canyon where you would shoot uphill and down hill and keep a score card. This part of the Park was really in the Boondocks and We would run into rabbits and sometime small deer in your sights. We did not shoot at them as it was illegal. I really enjoyed the sport but finally got away from it. The big famous Archer at the time I think was named Howard Hill.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 6:25 pm    

Ernie ...after playing music and rugby, Archery, and bowhunting in particular is my other passion.
I have been Bowhunting for more than 35 years, all over NZ of course, but also in Aussie and the US ..I also shoot 3D and FITA target archery competition as well when I can. (I have retired from playing rugby though!!)

Not that I get as much time to hunt as I would like because of my music schedule - but when I get the chance I have my bow in my hand !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Eric Dunlop

Hampshire, UK
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 6:41 pm     Archery

Hello Ernie, I have been shooting traditional English Longbow for nearly a year now.
I tried Recurve and compound bows with all of their site aids but have found the longbow to be more challenging.
At 71 years young, perhaps I may have left it a little late in life to expect to reach a competition standard but at 30 yards I can hit the butt every time. Its a great sport and give me a lot of pleasure.
I have to be careful that it doesnot interfere with my Fender Sho-Bud tuition time as both are very addictive.
It is nice to see that other steelers are also bow people.
Best regards
Eric
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 7:04 pm    

In before the lock...

(These non-steel threads usually don't survive long here.)

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
David Griffin

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 7:26 pm    

Mike: b0b's on vacation! Mr. Green

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 11:56 pm    

Hi Ernie, I shot long bow when I was a kid, but haven't shot in a long time. I couldn't afford to buy arrows so I bought the parts and made them myself. Larry
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 7:12 am    

closed as off-topic