| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Odd Copedant?
Richard Park

Alexandria, Virginia
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 6:48 am    

After a lot of frustrating hours with instruction books and videos, I'm taking my recently purchased Pro II in to have it set up in the standard Emmons E9.

The pedals all conform to that copedant now, but the knee levers do not. Here is how they are currently configured. Is anyone familiar with this set up?

LKL = Raises 8 and 4 a half step

LKR = Raises 7 and 1 a half step

RKL = Lowers 8 and 4 a half step

RKR = Lowers 2 a half stop / whole stop
David Griffin

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 7:07 am    

That's a standard Sho-Bud setup.I think the only difference would be to swap the inside knee levers,right?

Last edited by David Griffin on 5 Jul 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 7:54 am     Rkl

http://b0b.com/tunings/franklin.htm

Not sure how old or current this might be, but this shows Mr Franklin lowering his Es, RKL. Many do, including myself and have from the start. I think I got it from the Winston book. What little I play, it works.

Actually, I think it can be argued for or against either way.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 8:55 am    

I don't see anything odd in this one at all.

Your LKR is what I would call "old school", though. It was very common in the 70's and 80's to raise both F# strings to G. Today, people usually have full-step changes on their 4th knee lever to play some of the more recent Nashville-style intros and solos.

The other 3 levers are a lot like mine. http://b0b.com/tunings/b0b_d12x_2009.gif

N.B. Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 9:26 am    

Richard,,that is a standard Sho-bud set-up...It was the one I was used back in the 70's and there is nothing wrong with it...I changed my set-up to having both the raise and lower E changes to the left knee,,about 20 years ago..Every once in a while I still go for that right knee to lower my E's..Sometimes I think I should have never changed it....Carson
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 12:21 pm    

I like having the E raises and lowers on opposite knees. You can make the change much quicker if need be, and there's never any dead spot E in the middle of the change. You can move both knees at the same time.
Dana Shaw

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 1:29 pm    

I wondered if anyone else discovered the advantages of raising and lowering the 'e' s on opposite knees. I lower with the LKR and raise with RKL. Makes these changes so smooth, and these are the most used by far. Also seems to line up quite nicely with the pedals as pedal B often uses the lever that lowers the 'e' to get a dominant 7th and that being LKR seems to work well for me. It works nicely with several other combinations as well. This leaves my Ƭnside knee`swings' to either lower or raise the 'e's. That helped me organize things better mentally...and lord knows ya need all the help you can get!!
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 1:59 pm    

I use LKL AND RKR on my U-12 so that when I engage the lowered E's my left leg is free roam pedals 4-8 (essentially B6 pedals) uninhibitedly.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 3:44 pm    

Bob,
That's the way my Uni Kline is set up. And I've set my Shobuds up the same way since '72.