| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wheel Ez case question for owners?
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 5:15 am    

Is anyone using a wheel ez case, and if so, did it replace your original steel guitar case? What are your thoughts on the wheel ez, does your guitar fit in it or do you have to modify the case for each type of steel, ie: single neck 10, single neck 12, doubleneck 10, & 12. I am curious about the cases as to weight & sturdiness. Any other comments you may have about these cases for pedal steel guitar.

Ernie Pollock Confused
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 6:06 am    

I've been using one for my D-10 Fessy and then, the same one for my MSA Millenium D-10. Sierra had measured the Fessy and blocked it perfectly to fit that guitar. When I got the MSA, it fit pretty well, though not perfectly, but I put some extra padding on the end and it's fine. Yes, it replaces the original case and I fly it on planes all over the USA and Europe, without any problem. (Though if you do this for a living, I would still recommend a 'real' flight case). But I can get my MSA D10 under the airline weight limit of 50 lbs as long as I put the pedal rack and legs in my suitcase. That saves me a lot of money on every flight.

My back says 'thank you' every time I go to a gig.
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 6:20 am    

I have one that came with my Sierra. As far as I can see they must buy them from SBK and add the foam themselves to fit their various guitar models. If your guitar is not very similar dimensionally to the Sierra you will end up doing some foam work to get a decent fit. That said is seems to me the way to go would be to but an SBK case and do you own foam fitting.
As far as its sturdiness –
They seem quite strong to me. The plastic and aluminum they are made from will give and even bend if it takes a good enough impact. Mine had a sizable dent in one end when I received it (I bought the guitar used) that might have even happened during shipping, say if they dropped it off a loading platform and it landed on end. I personally think that the foam interior and the somewhat sacrificial nature of the case itself will probably give a little better protection to the guitar than a traditional rigid case when taking a major impact. On the other hand you will probably never need this much protection but its good to know you have got it. Better to but a new case than a new guitar.
They are quite light and the wheels work just fine over any surface from blacktop to carpet.
My guitar, by the way, survived whatever hit it had taken without a scratch and I was able to literally bang out the dents in the case and straighten and true it up enough so that I did not need to buy a new case. (this was 2 1/2 years ago)
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 7:12 am    

I've used my Wheel-Ez case many times, off and on, since the mid-1990's. Never had a problem with it, but I did remove the devider flap that separates the pedal bar from the guitar body. I put a nice bath towel between the two, which makes the lid easier to close, and also had a vynal pouch made to slide the complete pedal bar into. No scratches that way, and it lays right on top of the guitar body. It's not a perfect fit for every guitar I used, but doesn't hurt the guitar if fits a little loose. It will fit a Zum, Mullen, MSA Mill, MSA Legand, Rains, or Emmons, without any trouble. I once sent a Zum back to Bruce Zumsteg for repair, and he freaked out, worrying about the case accidently opening and possible damage to his product, but that never has happened. BTW, it's for the guy who works local gigs, or for transport in a bus or truck without high risk of damage. Not where an ATA flight case is required for safety of the guitar. D.D.