| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Odd Copedent
David Dixon

Gadsden, Alabama
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 7:33 am    

Being new to the steel guitar this may actually be a dumb question and me not know it. The copedent on my LDG is as follows:

LKL Lowers B's
LKR Lowers E's
RKL Raises E's
RKR Raises string 7

Most of the things that I am learning from calls for an entirely different setup. I have been able to adapt raising and lowering the E's, but the other 2 knee levers I havent found a use for.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Butch Dixon

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 7:52 am    

Not a dumb question at all.

You are missing one of the necessary changes. You need to lower your 2nd string D# to D. You could add it to your RKR. I raise 7th string F# to G on the same knee that lowers my second string, and I don't have any conflicts with it. Tommy White (very famous player) does it too.

F# to G is optional. D# to D is required.

Other than that, I think your copedent is fine.

Jimmy Creek,Arkansas via Cowtown, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 10:59 am    

LDGs' came from the factory like this:LKL>EtoF,LKR>F#toG,RKL<EtoEflat,RKR<Eflat to D & C#. IMHO:LKL should raise the Es to F.It's just a matter of ergonomics considering how often this KL is used in conjunction w/ pedal A. That's assuming your pedals are Emmons setup.(1st pedal raises B to C#)If not then,nevermind! Mr. Green

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 1:37 pm    

David Griffin wrote:
LDGs' came from the factory like this:LKL>EtoF,LKR>F#toG,RKL<EtoEflat,RKR<Eflat to D & C#. IMHO:LKL should raise the Es to F.It's just a matter of ergonomics considering how often this KL is used in conjunction w/ pedal A. That's assuming your pedals are Emmons setup.(1st pedal raises B to C#)If not then,nevermind! Mr. Green

I was also wondering if it might be a Day set up.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 5:08 pm    

Nope.
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 6:03 pm    

David Griffin wrote:

That's the way my Blanton is setup..I've often wondered if I should change it but I've grown use to it that way.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2010 10:16 pm    

As long as you have the standard changes on the knee levers, it doesn't matter a whole lot which one goes where. Whatever you're most comfortable with is the "right" copedent for you. In many cases, it's as simple as what was on your first pedal steel.

The best steel players in the world can't agree on on which lever should do what, but almost everyone agrees that certain standard knee lever changes are necessary: raising and lowering the E strings, and lowering the 2nd string.

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 4:27 am    

The only problem (if you call it a problem) would be learning from tab, you would need to rename the levers on the tab sheets to match your setup.
Also,bob said....2nd string D# to D. You could add it to your RKR. Yep,good change.
David Dixon

Gadsden, Alabama
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 5:29 am     Thanks

Thanks for clearing the copedent up for me. Is adding the 2nd string to the RKR lever something I am supposed to be able to do, or is that a specialty that I take it to someone?

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 8:45 am    

It should be pretty easy to do if you have the parts (an extra rod and bell crank). If you don't have the extra parts, you should just remove the 7th string raise and use the parts from that. The 7th string change is useful, but not necessary. When you turn over the guitar, what you need to do will be fairly obvious.

The 2nd string lower D# to D is used a lot. Without it, you lose nearly half of the functionality of the first two strings. I compare it to your left pinky when playing standard guitar. You could play without it, but you wouldn't want to.

Gadsden, Alabama
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2010 8:55 am     Strings

I will flip it over today and take a look. If I feel comfortable with it, I may atempt it. Where do I get the parts if needed?