| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which change would be more useful?
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 6:00 pm    

Currently, my LKV raises strings 1 and 7 from F# to G. I use the string 1 change a lot, but almost never use the string 7 change. I'm considering replacing the string 7 change with one of the following:

A whole-step lower on string 6, from G# to F#, or
    A whole-step raise on string 7, from F# to G#

Either change would give me the sus2 -> major chord transition that we all know and love for the no pedals position, analogous to rolling onto the A pedal in the pedals down position. Right now I'm leaning toward the string 6 lower, because it would be nice to end up on the major chord with a common grip and without needing to hold LKV. But I'd like to get your opinions before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
John
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 6:12 pm    

I have both and use them differently.

I tend to think of G# to F# as an inverse of the A pedal with B as the root. (6th goes to 5th tone -- let off and it's 5 to 6 like the A pedal) It can be used with the E to D# lever to give the major triad (B open) with the 10th or 5th string as the root. So lowering G# to F# and E's to D# gives you BMa; releasing both -- independently or together -- gives you the I --> IV BMa to EMa. Alone you do get a thirdless Eadd9 open. There is a reason that Buddy Emmons has had this change since the 60s. It can be very useful.

I think of the F# to G# change in an open E -- pulling the 2nd/9th up to a 3rd in unison with the 6th string -- releasing it is like G# to F# (in fact, Paul Franklin doesn't have G# to F# alone -- only w/B to A -- and he has says he uses releasing F# to G when he wants that voice without lowering the B string. It is also very useful in the pedals down context -- A open -- raising the 6th to a Ma7 with the tonic adjacent to it on 6 -- a very cool close voicing of AMa7 (open).

If I had to choose I'd probably go with G# to F#. Just my take on it.

I find both of those lever functions to be more important than F# to G but you will find those (maybe b0b) who could argue in favor of that change.
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 7:32 pm    

Could you post the rest of your setup? That makes a difference to what's most useful.

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 8:16 pm    

6th string whole tone lower would be my choice but I would be raising the 1st string a whole tone and the 2nd a half tone with that lever.
Jerry
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 7:44 am    

Ryan, I play an E9/B6 12-string universal and my copedent is fairly run of the mill:

I've only been playing pedal steel a little over a year, and at this point I'm mainly interested in playing fills in classic-style country tunes (like, say, Merle Haggard's tunes from the early 70s).

Jerry, the half-step raise on string 1 is needed all over the place in the music I'm playing, so I don't want to change that. I've never heard of having a half-step raise on string 2. Doesn't that simply duplicate what you've already got with the half-step lower on string 4? (As an aside: sometimes I'm tempted to remove string 2 entirely. I don't use it much, and it sounds horrible when I miss string 3 and pick it accidentally! I know . . . practice, practice, practice. Oh Well )

Larry, your detailed explanation opened up all kinds of possibilities I hadn't thought of before -- especially using G# to F# in conjunction with the E lower.

I think I'll play around with the 7th string F# to G# first, since I can do that with a simple twist of the tuning wrench. But I have a feeling I'm going to end up using the 6th string G# to F#.

Many thanks to all of you!

John
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 8:55 am    

Now that we can see your setup, it's easier to comment.

Like Larry, I really like the G#=>F# change and use it heavily with the E=>Eb lower, but you won't be able to use it that effectively if you keep it on the same knee as E=>Eb. There are at least three ways you could deal with this:

1. If you really like E=>Eb on the same knee as E=>F, then you could put B=>Bb on LKV and now put G#=>F# on RKL. But now you will have trouble using B=>Bb and E=>Eb together, and I also consider that a disadvantage since there are some good moves with them together.

2. If you're not wedded to E=>Eb on the same knee as E=>F, then you could move E=>Eb to RKL, B=>Bb to LKV, and G#=>F# to LKR. This is the way I have my 12-string universal set up, and it gives a host of other advantages, including not having to hold in the E=>Eb lever with the left knee while concurrently pressing pedals 4-8 in so-called 'B6' mode. This is exactly the way I have my U12 set up, and I think a lot of universal players do it this way.

3. If you want to have {B=>Bb and G#=>F#} on opposite knees from E=>Eb while still keeping {E=>Eb and E=>F} on the same knee, you could put first pair on the left knee and the second pair on the right knee - that also takes care of all the issues mentioned above.

For more info on deciding whether or not to put E=>Eb on the same knee as E=>F, you should read this thread, which IMO is definitive in its treatment of the subject - http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/007769.html

Clearly, there's no 'correct' answer, it's always about making tradeoffs.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 9:24 am    

Either way (6th string lower or 7th string raise), you have the same problem: those changes are designed to work with the E lowers. Dave Mudgett's analysis (above) is right on.

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 2:21 pm    

Drat! Stymied again. I was hoping this would be an easy change that wouldn't require buying pull rods and reconfiguring all the knee levers.

David, I'm not wedded to having the E raises and lowers on the same knee, and I understand the arguments for having them on separate knees. The only issue is that I'm used to having them both on my left knee; but that's probably not a show-stopper. At least I've only been playing that way for a year instead of for 30 years.

But I still have a question about your recommendations. Let's say I decided on #2:

Quote:
2. If you're not wedded to E=>Eb on the same knee as E=>F, then you could move E=>Eb to RKL, B=>Bb to LKV, and G#=>F# to LKR. This is the way I have my 12-string universal set up, and it gives a host of other advantages, including not having to hold in the E=>Eb lever with the left knee while concurrently pressing pedals 4-8 in so-called 'B6' mode. This is exactly the way I have my U12 set up, and I think a lot of universal players do it this way.

Since the B=>Bb lower doubles as the standard knee lever for the B6 tuning, don't you lose it by having it way over there on LKV when your left foot is working pedals 4-8? I admit I don't use the B6 tuning yet, but I'd like to some day. What do you do about that?

John
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 11:15 pm    

You always pays your money and takes your choice - it's always a tradeoff. B=>Bb in 'B6 mode' is indeed a standard 6th mode change - it lowers the root B to 7 Bb, as does the E=>Eb change on E9. I haven't found the LKV location a huge problem, but you could always put B=>Bb on LKR and G#=>F# on LKV if you prefer. In fact, my B=>Bb was originally on the sideways-lever opposite my E=>Eb lever.

I guess if I was predominately a 6th-style player, I probably would have left B=>Bb on LKR. But for most things, I found putting G#=>F# there was a better tradeoff for me. Overall, I find the sideways-moving levers easier to work with, and I use G#=>F# a lot. But if you're gonna have a vertical lever, something has to go on it. So even though that vertical is sometimes a bit harder to use, I'm glad it's on there.

Personally, I was just happy that I had progressed enough to be thinking about anything besides the 'meat and potatoes' 3+3 setup - A, B, C, E=>Eb, E=>F, and D#=>D=>Db + D=>C#. Everything else is gravy - season to taste, play it, and have fun. Smile