| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Deep South Steel Guitar Show
Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 8:32 pm    

Wow!Unsurpassed!Picking Grinning and Good Fun
What an exciting and entertaining show Mr Smooth Bill Stafford put together for the folks. It had everything anyone could ever want or desire. I won't try to name everyone there but Hank Corwin and Ronnie Miley thrilled us all with all forte's of music and expertise in Twin Steels.Even some Brazillian Steel Songs.First time to hear Albert Svendall, absolutely outstanding artist and entertainer. First time to meet Bill Ferguson and what a delight. What can you say about Buck Grantham except "Hall of Famer" and all around pleasant to be around.Steve Sanford, what a touch and tecnique he has. Its all expression and delivery like we need to hear more of and we will.Herby Wallace, Doug Jernigan,Joe Wright,Scotty,Ivan Reddington,Gordon Dodson,Jack and Martha Goodson,Billy Carr, Billy sounds better every time I hear him. "Big" Will Stewart was especially a joy. Gets better every time I hear him. And of course Rob Parker to do his thing and does it without equal.

Thank you Bill for being such an excellent host and presenting your top show so far and even allowing me to sing with you closing out. Can't wait till the next one. My wife said it was two of the most enjoyable days she has spent in a great while.Loves you new Album and all the others too.

Thanks to all for music, friendship, food,catfish, steak and most of all that fantastic gumbo.

"Doc and Ginny Rickles

The award for who had the most fun goes to me and Ronnie Miley and Tommy Wilson.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 4:41 am     Dssga

Hey Doc, you forgot about this preacher from Alabama! I think they call him "Doc" as in Rickles. He did a fine job on the stage! Now you tell ole Jim Parker you've got some new songs he'll have to learn! Pleasure to see Ginny along with The Doc also.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 5:23 am     Doc

It brought back the "good-ole-days" here on the Gulf Coast night club circuit when Doc Rickles appeared on our DSSG stage throughout the weekend. Doc was a major headliner appearing with the likes of Jayne Mansfield, Flat-Get-It Dave Gardner and many more at the most popular Gus Stevens Night Club on the beach in Biloxi, Ms.
Jim Parker better beware as I am now striking for the job to play my steel with Doc. Kidding aside, Jim, you were missed. Glad you had a paying job this weekend though.
Watching Doc brought back a lot of good memories of how it use to be here in the professional entertainment world of ours those many years ago. Doc still has that touch and it was a pleasure and honor to have him with us. Thanks Doc.
Billy Carr showed all of us how good a Carter can sound in his hands. Glad Scotty was here to hear you.
More later.
Bill Stafford
Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 2:33 pm    

Bill, just wanted to say "thanks" for making this northern boy feel right at home in the deep south. The players were all great and inspiring. The food was good and the fellowship was fantastic. I also wanted to thank Roy "piano man" Rosetta who made us all sound great. I really enjoyed myself.

Blessings, Albert

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 4:53 pm     Thanks DSSGA

It was all my pleasure and joy to be with some of the greatest people anywhere. My wife Ginny enjoyed every minute of the show. We had one of our most memorable weekends with all of you deep south home folks. Thanks to all who came. When we doing it again?
Blessings to all,
"Doc" and Ginny Rickles
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 2:33 am     Dssg

Kudos to all in attendance. Had so much top knotch talent! Impossible to single out even one. I tried to thank every one before the show ended-over and over again.
A steel show is not a steel show unless Rob Parker is there! What a job he did for us. His "Nine Pound Hammer" and thumb picking steel guitar playing shows more versatility of our steel guitars. Just depends on the players. Murnel Barbineaux and Rich Comeaux played just like they did at the Texas show. Joe Rogers was missed, of course-but the show went on, and we all were amazed with their playing and technique. The "Cajun Connection" song phase of their program was a delight. Rich, send me the name of your 'squeeze-box' player so I can appreciate him and let the world know of his talent also. Hope Joe is recovering from his accident.
I was glad Scotty and Mary were in the house to hear our Deep South players. Scotty, I received many, many comments about your program. One especially from a retired Navy helicopter pilot who was absolutely hyptonized by your playing. Don't be surprised to see him and his family in St. Louis.
Ivan Reddington took us all to Hawaii. His playing was so good, I lost my return ticket home.
The steel guitar MASTER-Hank Corwin amazed us all. He and Ronnie Miley are the best there is in our steel guitar world. It was intriguing to watch Hank softly whisper to Ronnie Miley about the song arrangements-then Ronnie just nodded his head and would play it perfectly. Hard to believe the sounds they gave us. The song "Wave" was typical of their song selections. And if their playing did not change anyone's perspective of the "typical steel guitar sounds", they just were not listening or were not in attendance. (But, anyone there, just had to listen after the first measure). Even talking on the side lines hushed.
Doc pretty well covered it all. All the players know how much they were appreciated by DSSG. Just scroll up and re-read Doc's comments-said better than I could write about it.
Roy Rosetta was in house and the band stand sound was proof enough. Just like Rob Parker, Roy makes a steel show complete.
Corky Tittle and his drumming talents leaves absolutely nothing to be desired.
Our champion bass player, Tommy Wilson, showed us his versatility and professional musicianship in meeting all challenges in all the musical types he had to support.
Bob Saxton was just superb-nothing else to say about this man's guitar talents. One of the best thumb pickers in the business.
John Thomas and his guitar was a most welcome addition all during this show. Really like his touch, technique and the really clean guitar licks he gave to us. (We really missed our dear friend Woody Ledford).
(Phil Coontz was scheduled to play. He was missed too, and condolences to the Ledford and Coontz families for their great loss).
And you just gotta have a fiddle in the band. Jack Goodson carried this out to a "T". His steel playing was the best, also. Martha Goodson was his vocalist during his program. Well received, I might add.
Our program was honored with the presence of Jerry Jaye. This guy has more talent under his little finger finger nail than most of us have everywhere else. Jerry was one of the "instigators" for "Rock-A-Billy" music and is in the Rock-A-Billy Hall of Fame there in Memphis. Jerry plays every instrument on the band stand and even more. All the string instruments including violin. Plus most of the horn instruments. His singing is just the best. As much soul and feeling as Wade Ray had. With Jerry on a band stand, all the attention is immediately captured by him instantly. No better professional entertainer anywhere in our world that I know of-and I really do know of a few too.. Thanks Jerry Jaye!
More to follow.
Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2010 5:56 am     Jean Kendall Dodson

Told you our steel guitar future is in good hands! The lights went on when Gordon Dodson brought his niece on stage. Jean Kendall delighted us all with her playing and when she sang, every word was understandable, on pitch and in tune. She is as pretty as she plays and sings.
Gordon's playing and singing was another welcome addition to our stage. Gordon plays the Julian Tharpe 14 string tuning on his Superb Model EXCEL and has a surprisingly DEEP voice ala Vaughn Monroe. His performance is show stopping when he does songs like "Thunder Road" with all the sound effects emanating from his steel guitar. Thanks Gordon and Jean Kendall for your talents.
Bill Stafford
Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2010 6:57 am    

To all hands,
There have been many nice compliments and accolades given to the many players, entertainers, and guests at the show...but the one person that has been so instrumental, and involved in the production of this super show, has not been mentioned enough.
I speak of our host..Mr Bill " Mr Smooth " Stafford.
He and Miss Betty, their officers and staff, and volunteers, worked long and hard to bring to the fans a quality, and entertaining show.They opened their home to guests, and provided comfort, and peace to many.
And his playing was superb..
I want to thank them so much for their work and dedication, to further the steel guitar, and bring to the many fans, a quality, and thoroughly enjoyable presentation of steel guitar music, and to bring together such a great collection of artists, and musicians, to provide the fans with a memorable period of music.
Those that came ,were witnesses to some historic performances, and music performed by some of the icons of the steel guitar, and other music worlds.
Kudos to you " Mr Smooth ",and Miss Betty , and your 'crew'.
Thank you for including me in this show...
See you soon I hope.
Peace and love to all of you..
RP...'come on in'...
Gordon Dodson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2010 7:15 pm    

Bill, My family and I would like to thank you for a wonderful weekend on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The show was fantastic! We also appreciate the kind compliments. This was Jean Kendall's second vocal performance and I feel like with time and practice she will improve significantly. Bill, not only do your shows get better, but so does your steel guitar playing. It is obvious that you work very hard at it. Thank you for letting us be a part of such a great show.

The Gordon Dodson family
Ozark, Alabama
Corky Tittle

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2010 8:00 am    

WOW! Where to start, it's taken a week for me to digest all of the great musical talents that I was privileged to be on stage with for this show. Every player that came up on that stage had something to bring to the plate that made time pass way too fast. Bill I can't thank you enough for allowing me the opportunity to be the staff drummer on your show. Being a member of the Hank Corwin-Ronnie Miley project in itself is an honor that at times I question my capabilities, Hank is an encyclopedia of music, and the many diverse ways to deliver a song (never the same way twice by the way)He is a mind bogling musician. And then there's Ronnie, who is without question one of the most versitile musicians I have ever had the pleasure of playing with, give him a steel guitar,(superb) a Bass guitar (don't miss a lick) guitar (scary player) and oh yeah let's not forget drums, a rare jewell in our industry, just our rehearsals alone I wish could be recorded as some really awesome stuff breaks loose there. Then add the great Roy Roseta (sorry if I mis-spelled ur name Roy) and the help of Tommy Wilson well, it all spoke for itself. THEN there was Mr. Wallace and Mr. Jernigan, to say they kept my attention would be an understatement legendary players that will always be a part of country music history, Joe Wright, a super talent add all of the other great people that came to that stage and you have a room full of great people thaat come together for just one reason, their love of the steel guitar and the people that devote an incredibly large part of their lives just to learn to play one. So much more that could be said, thank you every one for allowing me to share that experience with you. I'm a very fortunate man.....Corky Tittle
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2010 12:14 pm     Show

Well, I need to add some of my comments about this great show. First, I want to thank my friend and musical buddy, Bill Stafford for inviting me back as it is always an honor to be a part of his shows. I must say that I think this was the best one yet as the lineup of players was great. Next, the most important part to me is the backup band and I must say that this one was one of the best yet. Of course, since I had the stroke, my playing is still not 100%, which I am aware of and do apologize to the listeners; however, this time, the band really got me fired up and I enjoyed trying to play more than I have in a long time. Everyone in the band did an excellent job, but I must say that Corky Tittle really knows how to set the feel and get it in the pocket, and he is a master with brushes. It was about 1200 miles for me round trip, but it was worth every mile getting to work with this band. As my ole buddy, Ben Brogdon used to say, when it comes to being a musician, you've either got it or you don't and, believe me, these guys all have it.

Thanks again Bill,

Herby Wallace
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2010 1:32 am     Deep South

I just have to say that our show was the best ever. Thanks to all you guys. It was great to see my friend, Tommy Wilson, and how excited he was to be on the band stand with all you steel guitar legends. Experiences like that is what we are all about here in the Deep South. Having watched Tommy develop from a beginner to being able to now read charts and instantly play the right chops was a thrill for me. He and Corky Tittle and the wonderful Roy Rosetta cemented the band structure perfectly for all the various players.
And the food was the best yet. Those steaks provided by the VFW were all over a pound and filled the plate. Seafood gumbo provided by my sister, Gladys, was a delight to all. Watching folks taste that for the first time was a thrill in itself. Very fresh seafood still in our Gulf Coast, but not much longer, so we were fortunate this time. Thanks again to all.
Bill Stafford
Ronnie Miley

Hendersonville
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2010 2:02 am    

Thanks Mr.Bill for having hank an I on your show,I really enjoyed all great players you had on the show.Talk to film guys this week we should have little sample of your show real soon,many thanks to everyone the made this a sucessful show.Talk with hank about recording twin steel project He said yes,cant wait to get this done.Thanks Ronnie
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2010 3:57 am     Ronnie and Hank

For all of you who have yet to hear Ronnie Miley play his steel guitar (and any other instrument he decides to play)- you are in for a very special treat. And when you hear him and Hank Corwin do their twin steel sets together you just know there is no better playing anywhere on this planet. I cannot thank them enough for gracing our stage earlier this month.
Anxious to see and hear those videos Ronnie. Thank you for setting that up with that TV Documentary Production Company.
Bill STafford
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 4:29 am     Jerry Jaye

One more accolade for Jerry Jaye. I was very proud that he was able to be in our audience this time. For those of you who may not know about Jerry-he is one of the very best talents, singer, player, band leader you will ever get the pleasure to hear. It delighted me to see the steel players who wanted Jerry to sing with them after he did a few numbers on my part of the program. Told Jerry that would happen. Read my previous comments about who Jerry Jaye is in our world of music. One of the very best here folks. Thanks Jerry, for gracing our stage.
Bill Stafford