| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  approaching practice
Steve Becker

Daytona Beach FL
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 2:53 pm    

I'm sure this subject has been covered in the past, but I couldn't find anything when I did a search..

Just wondering how other players address the issue of practicing.

Do you:

1) Take a hodge-podge approach, practicing whenever you can, for as long as you feel like it, on whatever you feel like playing.
2) Take a more disciplined approach, practicing for set increments of time, or on specific drills, exercises, or licks.
3) Work on complete songs over and over til you've got it down before tackling something new.
4) Work on multiple things at the same time, or

5) A combination of all of the above.

Other ideas? Does one technique seem to be more productive and efficient than another? I'm an old dog, but I can still learn a few new tricks!
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 7:46 pm    

Steve, I practice a lot every day. Before I play steel guitar shows, I always practice songs a few times to make sure they sound alright...if my left hand gets tired, I save practicing for later, so I take a break, but then I go back to practicin'.
Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 9:42 pm    

Mostly I'm busy learning a new set of tunes doing the freelance thing these days. Transcribing another 20 or so songs for a particular artist/gig every couple days lately. When things settle down and I have any free time I make a list. I make a group of 8 circles each representing 30 minutes for a total of 4 hours.

Such as:
1. picking/scales
2.arpeggios
3. arpeggios in minor keys
4. single notes along to drones (I will play the same D note on every string I can over and over again as slowly as possible)
5. Play scales over jazz blues changes.
6. Play scales over rhythm changes.
7. learn a new song
8 Solo over new song changes.

It varies quite a bit.

I'm pretty methodical I guess. I shoot for a minimum of 4 hours practice daily unless somebody is giving me money to learn or play something.

These days I'm spending whatever free time I can get playing Autumn Leaves over and over again on a lap steel. Its a pretty deep tune.

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 9:57 pm    

I've been approaching practice for an hour but haven't got any closer.
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 11:26 pm    

#1 Turn off the computer and the TV.

#2 Approach the steel guitar.

#3 Plug the steel guitar into the volume pdeal.

#4 Plug the volume pedal into the amplifier. (this part saves you money and will actually help your tone and technique).

#5 Set there and play for hours and hours.

#6 When you see another steel player ask him to show you something,(not his new tuner or effects box, or amp or how much cabinet drop his guitar has but something on the guitar involving the bar, picks, strings, frets and hands that makes a musical sound).

#7 If you have doubts that this approach will work listen to Buddy, Jimmy, John, Weldon, Hal, Curly, Reece and all the rest of the greats. That's how they did it. No tab, no teaching videos, no forum. Just a gift and hours and hours of practice.

#8 If you do this for years and never get any better try model trains,some folks just don't have the gift.

#9 If you think I'm being a wise ass, you may be right. If you think that what I'm saying is not the truth you may be wrong.

#10 If all else fails, marry a real good steel player and pick her brain. Worked for me, have you heard me play lately? That part was just for fun. Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 12:29 am    

Headphones on with steelradio.com
I like to play along with whatever is on...
No matter what I sound like!
Sometime I get lucky and actually figure something out as I'm listening.
Rewards:
1.I'm not bored.
2. Ear training. Listening to recordings gives you a tonal center to cue in with.
3. Try to get the chords right to everything you hear, as soon as you hear it. Much music is semi-predictable when you really break it down.
4. Improvise! Once the progression of a song is apparent...go off!! No one is listening but you, so use any part of a song to solo over and learn the melody parts as you hear them. Play over the singer if you like hahaha.
5. You may be inspired and come up with something you want to perfect. You can always turn the radio off and practice with a metronome if you feel like recording it.
6. Doesn't hurt to record your entire practice and listen back later too. You can always erase it or record again. Im so looking forward to the Zoom H1 Smile

Clete
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 7:00 am    

I find that I get the most from my practice when I have something specific to work toward, like a body of work for a theater show, or a new artist's material. In the discipline that is required to do it a certain way, I not only discover another player's way of thinking, but variations on his ideas will pop into my mind. In these situations, I usually come out with a few new tricks.

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 10:19 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
I've been approaching practice for an hour but haven't got any closer.
Ha! First I get some French roast in me then I get my fingers working...and then hopefully the brain kicks in and I get creative!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 11:21 am    

If you don't have some methodical or disciplined approach to practicing you'll just be playing repertoire.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 2:34 pm    

+1 on Johnny's advice, probably his most informative and practical post ever on this Forum, especially #5 through #9. Print it out and hang it on the wall in your music room.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 7:33 am    

One approach to practice that really helps me is to record my self while playing out or in the practice room. You think you sound good till you hear your self and realize you need to perfect what you know before moving on to something new, sometimes i tell myself YOU S&#$ and sometimes i pat myself on the back, so i try not to get discouraged at something i can't do very well and spend more time trying to do it better. Like others have said, you have to walk away from it and come back a little later an start over, it's all a part of being a musician.
Mark Lavelle

San Mateo, CA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 4:30 pm    

I'm basically a hodge-podge guy (one advantage of not trying to make money at it), but I've found I tend to spend about 1/3 trying to learn specific songs, 1/3 on licks/technique & 1/3 playing along with random tunes.