| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'm Done
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 4:20 am    

No, not what you think....

I'm done with my search for the ultimate jazz instrument. My ultimate jazz instrument. After much search, I've found the perfect instrument: The Clinesmith 8 string. One of the finest instruments I've ever had the privilege to own.

I've found the perfect tuning, making the final tweek last night when I changed out the top string from a G to a D: low to high: A C# E G A C E D.

I've added a 3rd finger pick for four note chords.

I want to play without a volume pedal. Just me, the guitar, and an amp (although I can see some continued search for the perfect amp).

I know what I want to play: jazz. Nothing but jazz.

As a result, I've decided to sell all my other instruments (except my Oahu Diana which I'll never sell), and dedicate what's left of my life to playing the music I love.

For me, focusing on jazz on lap makes perfect sense. Jazz does not have the built in age discrimination that other music's have from a performing standpoint. Look at Les Paul. There are a million places to play jazz in New York, from bars and restaurants, to performing venues.

From now on, the equipment search, the tuning search, the repertoire search is all behind me.

I can't wait to play this instrument each morning I wake up, and when I get home in the evening.

Hope to post some audio clips soon. Not ready yet, but getting there.
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 4:57 am     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 23 Jun 2012 11:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 5:16 am    

You hit it on the nail George.
J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 7:53 am    

'Gratz Bill! I salute your determination. I, myself, am heading in a similar direction, however, I want to familiarize myself with a few other styles on the way there in the interest of technique and theory. Especially since I have come from a classical and rock background.

Please let me/us know when you commence the sales of your instruments.
Laurence Pangaro

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 8:37 am    

Hi Bill,

Your excitement is quite palpable indeed! Congratulations. I think you'll be inspiring many of us to seek out our ideal instrument or at least upgrade.

I have a question about this tuning. That D on top (which I'm assuming is a whole step below the second string), is it there primarily for harmonic purposes or is there some melodic advantage to be found here?

(It'd be lovely to hear from others using similar tunings as well.)

ciao,
Laurence
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 8:48 am    

I use that tuning on one neck of my Fender, but I put the D as the second string. I found it to be more more functional there for single note playing and for other reasons.

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:02 am    

Lawrence,

You asked the same question I asked yesterday: the function is melodic for me so far. Having that second available on the same bar line as my triad is really helpful for lead work.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:03 am    

Mike, you have to get used to the out of order placement, but it isn't hard, as I'm sure you know.
Laurence Pangaro

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:24 am    

So is the out of order stringing of some particular interest melodically or is it just to allow you to have the second on top without changing the normal C6 chord shapes?

Maybe when I eventually get an 8 string I'll try an F# on the top of my current E13 tuning.

LP
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:32 am     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 24 Jun 2012 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:35 am    

Well, there you go.

Thanks for all the tips George!
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:48 am     Re: I'm Done

Bill McCloskey wrote:

low to high: A C# E G A C E D.

I've added a 3rd finger pick for four note chords.

I want to play without a volume pedal. ...

I know what I want to play: jazz. Nothing but jazz.

I'm with you on all that except the jazz part. That's the tuning I settled on when I started playing non pedal recently. It's on the YouTube demo I did for the CruzTone guitar.
The tuning seems not perfect as some intervals are missing; for example major 6ths in the low range, but we can slant the bar for those.
I think a good tuning to complement it might be an E9 or E13, which I'll try out on a triple 8 Fender when I play with a retro-style cowboy band this weekend. Maybe one neck like Buddy Emmons on Buddy's Boogie and one like Tom Morrell without the high strings.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:51 am    

For me, the main advantage of the re-entrant tuning is that the C and E strings are adjacent so I can play them both at the same fret while playing a fret lower on the G string.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:59 am    

Quote:
It's on the YouTube demo I did for the CruzTone guitar.

Doug, your Cruztone video was a big catalyst for me exploring this tuning. Your playing is wonderful.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 10:29 am    

Thanks; this non pedal stuff is fun and feels like exploring new territory to me, even tho I know that the old timers worked thru all this stuff many years ago.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2010 9:08 pm    

Quote:
I want to play without a volume pedal. Just me, the guitar, and an amp (although I can see some continued search for the perfect amp).

Another excellent decision. The search for pure authenticity!! Cool

Aloha, Smile
Don
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 10:47 pm    

Ok. Count me in.

It is with quite a degree of reluctance that I abandon the high G as my stock tuning. Why? Because of a bucket full of arrangements that I am using and a new approach to be sorted out but it is hard to discount the accumulated wisdom above. It has made me reevaluate.

Immediate advantages:
1) Sound. I get it now. The high G is just to weak.
2) Melodic. I keep struggling with the Major third interval between C and E which so often demands a 2 fret movement. Problem solved.
3) Uniformity. The D now provides a major (or minor) pentatonic scale on a straight bar as does the Morrell E13. This is a welcome measure of uniformity whereby ideas can flow from one tuning to the other. Before this they have seemed completely different to me.

I have done a lot of work on chord voicings and voice leading in C6th with high G but when I go back and look at my work I find that while I have found plenty of voicings that incorporate the high G, not that many seem 'keepers'.

Back to the drawing board. Time to start again incorporating the D.

Edited a few weeks later: Went back to the high G as stock tuning. The D takes quite a lot of getting used to and I find that I do miss the G. For me the D will be a long term project.

Last edited by Guy Cundell on 10 Jul 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 3:59 am    

Just realized that if I move the high A string up to a Bb, I have the leavitt tuning under my fingers, with a couple of string jumps.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2010 6:05 am    

As I progress on this lap steel journey, I made some more adjustments. Started using a much heavier bar, which is the last step moving away from dobro style playing towards a different, more interesting way of playing. The heavier bar just seems to bring out more overtones in the Clinesmith.

And I just started playing without picks. It is very freeing to just play with bare fingers and for the jazz stuff I'm trying to do, it is great for finger blocking to create clean sounds. Very wes montgomery sounding.

Still working on All the Things you ARe.
Jesse Adams

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2010 10:53 pm    

In your search for the perfect amp you should try to find an old Gibson BR9. I have one that was made in 1948 and it's the perfect amp in my opinion, warm, smooth. I play guitar and steel through it and it's perfect for jazzy stuff!

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 3:50 am    

Just bought a Gibson Skylark GA-5 which has that quality. Can't wait until I get it next week.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2010 5:26 am    

Bill;
I as well as many others, as we have read, applaud your ideas.
I have always played with 3 fingerpicks and a thumbpick, even on pedal steel. But I may try bare fingered, even though it kinda hurts my thumb.

I have been playing more and more jazz standards as well. Three chord songs seem pretty boring to me now.
Although I end up playing a lot of requests for Hawaiian, Country and folk songs...

Dom Franco Smile