| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Flores at Pearl's last Saturday
Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2005 10:17 am    

After our respective gigs Saturday night, I was able, along with visiting Forumite Dean Parks and Light Crust Doughboy fiddler Jim Baker, to catch Bobby's last set at Pearl's in Fort Worth.

May I just say how fortunate we are in Texas to have musicians of Bobby's caliber who know and love traditional country music and can play it so well. And especially, that there are still a few places left in which to play that encourage and support this style.

Based on the set we heard, I'm sorry we weren't able to catch the whole show. Twin fiddles, stellar guitar playing, an impeccable rythmn section, and Reinhard just tearing the place up on steel. Both Dean and I remarked on the clarity and punch coming out of his guitar. Classic tone and touch.

For those who live in Texas, I'd really like to recommend you catch Bobby at one of his shows. I'm not much of a club-goer but it's worth it to hear this type of music done with such quality. And for those who live elsewhere, you can always purchase one of Bobby's CDs online. I picked up the two I didn't already own on my way out of Pearl's and they haven't been out of the CD changer since.

Keep playing the real thing, Bobby.
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2005 10:28 am    

I had the opportunity to spend a couple hours hearing Bobby, Randy and the band...great classic country! I can't help but smile as Randy R. plays an old Emmons '65' wrap around p/p that looks 'very tired'in appearance but sounds just incredible. Randy R.; Gary Carpenter; Johnny Cox and Dickey Overby are my favorite in-person steel players. (Did I tell you they were all my students?!?!? HA HA)
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2005 4:04 pm    

Well dadgum boys, I was there too. Wish we could have set at the same table!

What a band! I'm very glad these boys are keeping country alive. Bobby's great fiddle/guitar playing, great vocals, and Randy's great steel playing really was inspiring. And, Pearl's was packed. Lots of folks in cowtown are turned on to Bobby. Can't wait until he gets back to town.

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112

Strats thru a VHT Super 30

Band Pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi

[This message was edited by Mark Metdker on 26 July 2005 at 05:05 PM.]

Jack Shults

Canadian, Oklahoma U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 4:39 am    

I saw them earlier, that day, at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop and they sounded great there too, as you might expect.

------------------
Jack Shults
MSA U-12
Evans Amps
Stereo Steel