| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lily Dale - Recorded Direct To Console (No Amps!)
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 2:49 pm    

This is all done in fun just to see what kind of tone would result from eliminating all the amps in my home studio and recording all the instruments direct to my Yamaha AW-2400.

See more details on the instruments and recording process here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Direct%20Recording/Direct%20Recording.html

Hear Lily Dale!

Get rhythm track and guitar intro tab here!

By request, I just added the guitar intro tab to the page linked above.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 5:19 pm     thanks....

Thanks Greg for the tab.........
Mike Baldwin

Watsonville, Ca. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 6:30 pm    

That worked really well and the tone is there. Crazy!! This is a good example of the tone being in your hands.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 8:43 pm    

Sounds good, Greg. This is how I've recorded all of my songs for the past few years. I patch the steel directly into a Black Box which provides a bit of tube warmth, and then into volume pedal, delay (or reverb), and directly into the computer. No outboard mixer, no amp. Thanks for sharing your sound with us. Cool
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 7:34 am    

Greg, that sounds great. Love the tone and the way you play. I have been a fan of direct recording thru a preamp for a long time, mostly because I like to practice and record in the early mornings and the "fam" sometimes is not a fan of Steel guitar music at 6 or 7 am !

thanks for posting, good stuff as usual.

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 5:01 pm    

Mike K., I am flattered that someone actually wanted some guitar tab from me. Wish I knew the name of that second chord in the tab. I couldn't find it online but it gets used a lot.

Mike B. Osmosis, that's my secret. A lot of years of playing and also listening to B0B's recent recording and sticking to the melody a bit. There's lots of good bars out there but I have found that the heavier ones give a bit more sustain like my BJS bar. It's painful to listen to recordings of yourself, for example, you can hear a few places where I pressed down too hard on the strings and the sustained notes went sharp and at the 12th fret where I forgot to put my left hand on the strings behind the bar to mute the overtones. It's hard to run the console and play at the same time though.

Doug, your recordings are pretty awesome and your one of the few players I ever worked with that can actually play the intro to Four Wheel Drive at full speed, cleanly!

Tony, my AW-2400 preamps don't sound at all like the AW-1600 ones. The AW-1600 with all EQ set flat, recorded and played back just what my ears hear. The AW-2400 has a huge scoop in the mids that is very annoying and it has to be EQ'd out. So I set all the input preamp EQs with a mid boost or correct it on the track EQ later.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 2:12 am    

Hey Greg, interesting with regard to the Yamaha's. years back when I was using a low budget Boss BR-8 I found the EQ tones that fit my taste very fast and easily. When I switched to the Yamaha AW2816 I never found those EQ's again and had been chasing them forever. Same deal with the mids. Now I am on Cakewalk Sonar and I can get closer but geesh, now there is just way too many things to "color" the sound. I can get closer to what I like compared to the AW2816 but still I scratch my head in amazement as to how easy it was with the BR-8 ! Plug and play !

You obviously have found your way, good stuff as always, maybe I need to spend more time, I'm overall pleased with what I have with Sonar but I know something is missing. keep up the good stuff..

Maybe if you ever come back to Charlotte, you can sit behind my system while I drink a cup of coffee, out in the yard, you set it up and then I'll take it from there !

My wife says the reason I am chasing tone is because I can't hear "S" anymore...ahh..what does she know...
t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 5:06 am    

The second chord in the guitar tab can be thought of in two ways depending on what you are thinking in the bass and what key you are in. if you use A in the bass then you can call it a Ab/A, but the sound I hear is B in the bass...., so you could call it a B76b9....the A is the 7th, the G# is the 6th and the C is the b9. The guitar intro has more of an E tonal center as the key and then the piece is in the key of A.

I actually found the chords in the guitar intro to be more interesting than the sound of the direct input steel sound which is the focal point of your post. You have all of these very nice chords in the guitar intro and then the steel comes in playing mostly simple major sounding things.

You should think about learning the guitar part on steel and playing that as the intro! That would be nice and Chalker sounding.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 9:12 am    

Tony, I woould like to MOVE to Charlotte permanently! My son lives downtown and works over near Gastonia. Recording is just as bad as woodworking as far as equipment and technique goes!

Bill, I am still chewing on the chord information. The Ab/A thing kinda looks like a diminished chord without the dominant 7th notes. If I took the A chord root and added the flatted 5th, root (instead of 7th note) and 3rd notes on top, I would have a Major Diminished chord. I understand though how you derived what are presenting.

The guitar intro can be played quite readily on the C6th tuning in the keys of F/C if you are willing to use one thumbpick and 3 fingerpicks or you can strum some of the notes. With a little tinkering it can be played in A/E taking advantage of the open E drone on the second string. You're right it does sound pretty cool on steel.

I love the melody in this song and tried to preserve much of it!

Greg
Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 9:14 am    

FROM A MIXING STANDPOINT, YOU MIGHT CONSIDER BRINGING THE BASS UP A LITTLE IN THE MIX.. I FOUND IT TO BE IN-AUDIBLE.. LESS 'VERB' ON THE RIM-SHOT.. SOUNDED VERY GOOD..

I RUN 24 TRACK/16 BUSS, PRO-TOOLS.. I GO DIRECT ON ALL THAT I CAN.. I PREFER LITTLE OR NO EQ, OR EFFECTS WHILE "PRINTING TO TAPE".. WHAT GOES TO EARPHONE WILL HAVE EFFECTS, BUT NOT THE TAPE.. (PRO-TOOLS)..

GOOD LUCK.. SOUNDS GOOD

CRAIG
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 12:06 pm    

Craig,

Yeah, I did kill the bass too much. It sounds OK on my PC subwoofered system and on my Yamaha monitors but sucks outside of that. I need to put the regular snare and rim shot on separate channels or else automate the reverb to get the levels customized. Thanks much for the input.

Greg
Brad Issendorf

Lake City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 4:09 pm    

Greg, just out of curiosity, what pickup were you using in your guitar. It truly sounds great.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 6:32 pm    

Brad,

My MSA steel guitar has Truetone pickups (both are 16.9 Kohms).

More info here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Msa/msa.html

The Fender tele is a stock Nashville with 3 pickups and the optional 5 position pickup switch installed. The recording was done with the switch in the neck pickup only position. This is not the "power" or "deluxe" model being sold now. It sounds about the same through my Deluxe Reverb as it does direct to console. It is the only non classic vibe Fender that I've kept.

Greg

Greg
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2010 11:04 am    

I posted my attempt at trascribing the guitar intro solo to the C6 tuning in the forum tab section:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1622302#1622302

Greg
Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 7:52 pm    

PLEASE STOP MIXING WITH A SUB.. PLEASE STOP TRACKING WITH A SUB.. CLEAN FLAT MONITORS ONLY.. PLEASE DO NOT MIX IN CANS.. SUBS PRESENT AN EXAGGERATED BASS, NO MATTER HOW LOW YOU CUT THE VOLUME.. MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT USED TO HEARING 'CLEAN'.. WE ARE BOMBARDED BY ACCENTED BASS AND HIGH-END ALL DAY EVERY DAY, AND WE HAVE LEARNED TO CONSUME IT.. (FEED PEOPLE (INSERT EXPLETIVE)LONG ENOUGH, AND THEY LEARN TO LIKE IT)..IF YA DON'T BELIEVE ME, THINK OF THE IDIOT WITH THE SUBS IN HIS CAR BLARING SO LOUD THAT YOU CAN HEAR HIM 2 BLOCKS AWAY!!! THEN THEY HAVE TO CRANK ENOUGH HIGH-END TO GET A LITTLE DEFINITION OUT OF IT.. MIXING AND HEARING 'FLAT' TAKES A LITTLE GETTING USED TO.. BUT EXPERIMENT WITH IT, AND YOU WILL REALIZE THAT YOU LIKE IT BETTER..