| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel in New Orleans
Randy Brown

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2010 10:37 pm    

I'm in town this week for work and just happened to wander in a club where Gal Holiday and the Honky Tonk Revue was playing (french quarter). There was a gentleman playing a beautiful red MSA (Millenium?)D-10. The band was excellent and the steeler was right on the money.... great tone, execution, and chops (quite a bit on the c6 neck if I heard it correctly). They even covered a Wayne the Train song! I didn't get to stick around for the whole show... I was with a colleague from work and we were supposed to be out to find a restaruant, and I eventually caved in and left. Does anyone know who the steeler was? Whoever it was did a great job and I hope to see/hear more of it!

Also are there any other steelers playing downtown this week? I'm in town until friday afternoon. I don't have a car with me so it has to be somewhere I can get to easily. Thanks!

(btw I'm in N.O. for Tech-Ed, if there are any other steelers there, give me a holla)

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 7:28 am    

Randy...the steeler for Gal is Mr. Steve Spitz...and you are so right....the guy has his chops together. I've had the pleasure of filling in for Steve on occasion. It's been a couple of years since I played with them....but they have a great band.
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 9:12 am    

I agree with Hal...a wonderful swinging band with a fine steel guitarist. I always enjoy talking with Steve at the Dallas show, and the band is fun to hang out with, too.
Chuck
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 6:17 pm     Me ?

Gentleman?
Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy your stay in the city, let me know if I can help with anything.
Randy Brown

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2010 7:23 pm    

Hi Steve. I was the one who yelled Play that steel guitar! ha! I was just hoping they'd let you take a long ride on it. I hope I didn't distract you. I really enjoyed your playing. What kind of amp was that? It sounded great and looked real nice (and sparkly!) but I couldn't get close enough to tell what it was. Anyway it was a real pleasure hearing your band play and I hope to catch more steelin while I'm in the big easy. Let me know if you or any other fellow steeler is playing this week.

Thanks!
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 1:39 pm     What amp

Randy,
I don`t have any other gigs in walking distance of the quarter until Sunday, every Sunday where you caught the band. I do remember someone yelling something about the steel, was it "Learn to PLAY THAT STEEL GUITAR!!" ?? No need to worry about distracting me, It`s great when folks get involved, even hecklers! At least someones paying attention.
The amp is cosmetically altered. O.K., it`s Pimped out. It`s a NV 112, covered in red glitter vinyl with a chrome (shiny silver) grill cloth. Hidden in the back,on top of the reverb pan, knobs facing out is a TC300, Cables thru the chassis, you wouldn`t know it`s there. Of Course all the Peavey logos etc are removed. I get tons of compliments from soundmen and recording engineers on the sound of that little sucker. I wonder if they would think it sounded as good if they knew it was a Peavey?
Randy Brown

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 10:11 pm    

Steve, your Peavey sounded great, but I have a feeling it had more to do with the player sitting at the steel than the amp or effects (or glitter)!

Oh and what I meant to say was "[teach me how to] play that steel guitar!"

I took a stroll down Bourban Street earlier tonite(wed), and to my surprise I happened upon a man ripping it up on a doubleneck Sho-Bud. I spoke to him briefly... I believe his name was Joe something, but he's not from here. He sounded great, and was playing with a very interesting band: drums (a real lively drummer at that), bass, fiddle, and the pedal steel. They had a very unique sound and they really tore it up, jamming for 10 minutes or more on some tunes - the whole place was dancing and singing along - it was a great time.

I've seen 2 steelers already this week in downtown... that's a win in my book!