| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In Memory of Bobby Garrett
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 May 2010 8:19 pm    

Curtis Kirk's record "The Little Things You Do" had Al Petty on steel. Marriage Was Meant For two " had Bobby Garrett on steel. I was in a band with Bobby, Burton Harris, Curtis Kirk, Doc Shelton, and Gene Wortham. We played at the Mint Club and The Roundup Club in Gladewater ,Tex. Jack Rhodes had the Trail 80 motel in Mineola, Tx. He converted 2 rooms into a recording studio. Bobby played on a world of recordings and demos at Jack's place. I was on rhythmn guitar and bass and sang high harmony on lots of those cuts. Played steel on some.One of the better known songs to come out of of Jack's studio was "Silver Threads And Golden Needles" written by Jack and Dick Reynolds. Bobby Garrett was destined for greatness. His touch and tone was the best even at an early age. It would take volumes to tell of Bobby's contributions to the world of music, especially the steel guitar. Jody.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2010 7:22 am    

Thanks again for the comments and the link. If you want to hear some really great steel guitar give a listen to my dad's version of Charmagne on the live at the state fair of Texas album. Hank Thompson and the brazos vally boys. Wow what a band!
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2010 10:23 am    

Bobby cut three live albums with Hank. The Golden Nugget, The Cheyenne Rodeo, and Texas State Fair. The cut on Rose City Chimes on the rodeo album has Roy Clark on the lead guitar part. Of couse, Bobby nailed it. Jody.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2010 4:08 am    

Hi Jody,

Yessir I have all three of those albums. Went clear over to West Texas to pick up one of them. The musicianship of those days was outstanding all around and during his prime, my dad was one of if not the best that ever played. I could always tell from listening if it was him playing steel. THe last album that he worked on (to my knowledge) was the Hank Thompson and friends album. The first note you hear on that recording is steel guitar and I knew as soon as I heard it that it was my dad.
Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2010 8:55 am    

I have a good friend who has a lot of Bobby Garrett stories;all of them good because they were close friends. Bobby gave him a tape which is absolutely one of the greatest steel albums of all time. Bobby's talent alone would have been enough to make this tape a classic, but guess who else played as a guest on the session?....none other than one of Bobby's good friends,"Buddy Emmons". Saying,"WOW" seems inadequate because this album is a steel player's dream come true. I think that we all know about the powers that be in the recording industry which seem to dictate a flood of substandard music to the masses;but it is this that makes excellence shine even brighter. Shine on Bobby, you did it right! ~~W.C.~~
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 12:04 pm     Bobbe

Bobbe Walter haynes And all Of Us was At The Jeffran Jam In 1981. SONNY.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2010 9:42 am    

I really miss this old friend more than I can say,a wonderful guy.

Bobbe