| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MAN OF STEEL The Reece Anderson Story (new book)
Eric Ebner

Texas Republic
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2010 7:25 pm    

Book available - Biography
http://www.buybooksontheweb.com/product.aspx?ISBN=0-7414-5797-0
207 pages + a 26 track CD Very Happy

When I arrived at the MSA room at this years Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree I saw Reece and met Mr. Fred Wright who wrote this wonderful book. I would have missed it had I not attended the convention and what a find! Reece has got to be one of the most gifted players alive today and there are few books on musicians like this. It also comes with a wonderful CD of Mr. Anderson on his instruments and commentary by the man himself... 26 tracks. Both the book and CD are made in the U.S.A. (if anyone cares). I stayed up in the hotel room reading through the evening. The only thing I wish it had more of was the business history of the MSA guitar Company but that's just me. It gets 2 chapters which is probably good enough for most. I was lucky to have my copy signed by the Author and Mr. Anderson. This book sits right next to my Jerry Byrd book and all those wonderful Andy Volk books on steel. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Hats off to Mr. Fred Wright and Maurice 'Reece' Anderson!!! It's a keeper.

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2010 8:42 pm    

Eric, you are totally correct.

It is a great book about a great individual.

I appreciated the story due to the revealing of Reece's true nature. A fine christian gentleman. I believe that no one will doubt his talent of playing or building steel guitars, but to understand what is in his heart and mind is of another matter.

Great book.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 3:01 am    

Amen to all the above and thensome. cc
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 3:16 am    

Mine is on order. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Fred Wright

Minocqua, Wi USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 5:49 am     Man of Steel

Thanks guys for the compliments. I really appreciate it. The book can also be ordered from me, PayPal or check, with an autographed copy. Fred
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2010 12:58 pm    

Thank each of you for your comments, it was a sincere pleasure to have the privilege of working with my good friend and arthor Fred Wright.

I'm always glad to share the history of MSA, and for Eric and anyone else interested, I wrote the complete history of the old MSA long ago and it has been published many times. It was for that reason I did not repeat it in the book.

Here is a link to "MSA The Untold Story".

http://www.msapedalsteels.com/reece
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 May 2010 10:07 am    

I've had the book for just over a week now, and took it on holiday with me. I consider it to be both a great read and historically important in terms of steel guitar development.

The CD that comes with the book is worth the purchase price on its own. I have to say that some of the productions on different tracks are just jaw dropping, especially the 'big band' tracks. It's interesting to hear the tracks that range from 1969 to 1995. Reece's playing just gets more sophisticated and technically advanced over the years as you would expect from someone who takes his music as seriously as he does. Certainly there are some incredible back up musicians that emanate out of Texas, and the Dallas area in particular. If you like your steel guitar listening experience taken to different directions, then Mr Anderson's recordings do just that. He is a real giant of the instrument, no doubt about that.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 17 May 2010 8:26 pm    

Just made my order, One of the greatest players and Builders on the planet. This is sweet brothers!!
M.S.A owner since 1995. Bulletproof!! Very Happy

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2010 9:16 am     Maurice a nice man

Maurice Anderson is a really nice person
I was calling to see what a new MSA would cost called their number guess who answered the phone? but the man himself,never got into any hurry talked to me at least 30 minutes maybe more He answered questions and you would have never guessed he was such a force in the business. I ask about Johnny High show he told me and I got off the phone and felt like I had made a friend, Truly a great human being MSA:) Maurice Shields Anderson
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 18 May 2010 6:13 pm    

I agree bill totally, I talked with 'Reece' a few times via email, i did not exspect to hear anything, if your a 'No-body' in this buissiness it's hard to get a reply from a company, the world has gone to sh$$ mate! [My drummer friend has emailed and called a company 14 times and no response, Nice... after you spend about 5 grand on drums]!!!

I think we talked like 3 times in a 2 hour period with mr Anderson.

Alright brothers, lets get to reading the book.
Cant wait!

Last edited by Larry Bressington on 18 May 2010 6:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jim Lawler

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2010 6:26 pm    

Just ordered the book.... I saw Reece at the TSGA show playing his MSA superslide. This guy can get more out of a lap steel than I can get out of a D-10 with 8 pedals and 6 knees!!!!!!!
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 24 May 2010 7:30 pm    

Book just showed up this evening, very quick service, read 48 pages already. This is great brothers!

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 May 2010 8:11 pm    

Thanks Reece.

Though I see you're writing this to another "Eric"..

Hope you have been doing well. This year has been better for me than the one before.

The guy that gave me the original of that copy of the multi steelplayer CD I sent to you says hi.

Anyhow I have a program that alerts me whenever somebody mentions my name in a post..

Probably the same one that you and Paul use.. Guess I better reprogram for the last name too.

Just kidding.

Best wishes my friend.

Wink

EJL

Last edited by Eric West on 25 May 2010 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 May 2010 6:14 am    

Hi Eric W…..Thank you for your post and congratulations on having a great year. I want to again thank you and your friend for sending me a copy of the CD.

There may be some confusion concerning the CD you’re referencing. There was actually two recordings made by multiple steel players, and although it’s been a long time, as I recall, everyone got paid for the recording session with the Union time card on the front.

The other session being offered was recorded at the Longhorn Ballroom in Dallas, and it featured numerous jazz guitar greats and only some of the steel players who played on the Union session.

I consider my friend Dave Burley, (who produced both sessions) as an unsung hero to steel guitar. He contributed greatly to the evolution of steel guitar, because for many guitar jazz players and enthusiasts, that was their first introduction to jazz steel guitar, and most importantly it proved to everyone, that steel guitar has a musical voice and the versatility to be compatible to mainstream jazz.

By the way, Dave also used two great jazz legends for the rhythm section…Louie Belson on drums, and Slam Stewart on bass.

That evening was one I will never forget, and I dare say, neither will anyone else who was fortunate enough to be there that evening, because musical history was made and recorded…….. thanks to Dave Burley.

I see you’re one of those “high tech” guys with the latest and greatest programs. I appreciate your thinking I’m one of you, however although I wish I was, I’m the kinda guy that types with two fingers and can’t find the computer on/off button.

Thank you again for your post my friend, and best wishes to you and yours as well.
Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2010 8:54 am    

It's "author", Reece. Just so you'll know.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 May 2010 9:16 am    

Well Reece, anyhow, I was just checking in. A little humor as always. I have a lot on my plate with medical things that I wish I hadn't.

Hope you are doing well.

I know Bobbe has been having his struggles too.

We're getting older.

Smile

EJL