| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day's "Blue Darlin"
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 4:39 pm    

I know he had 2 Mullen steels built for him that he used in the 90's. Last i heard his wife Marilyn wasn't doing so well and was in a nursing home... Does anyone know what happened to his steels though? I know he gave some sho-buds to David Zettner. any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks folks! - Adam

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 7:00 am     Where is David Zettner

I don't know where the guitars are...but, I've been wondering where David Z is now. In the late 60's and early 70's, he was playing in and around Bandera, Texas. At around that time he was playing the "original" Blue Darlin'.

I've wondered what happened to him and I wrote Bobbe Seymour asking about him last week. Coincidence?

Thanks,

bUd
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 8:25 am    

I was told not too long ago that the Mullen Blue Darlin' is in Arkansas somewhere. I have also been told that Lynn Owsley has the last Super Pro Darlin' of Jimmy's.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 8:32 am    

Bud,,,I'm sorry to say that David died 3-4 years ago. He was living around Dripping Springs or Spicewood in one of Willie's houses I think. I knew him back in the 60's,,a great guy,,,VERY talented,,,,also a great artist (painter).

He had a website with his paintings on it. You can do a google search and find more.

Here is David playing a Sho-Bud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96BWUs2dyVE

Last edited by Sonny Jenkins on 22 May 2010 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 8:48 am    

http://stillisstillmoving.com/willienelson/willie-nelsons-former-bassist-david-zettner-passes/

http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=3624972195313
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 9:20 am    

I found the owner of the Blue Darlin. And about Zettner, i believe he passed away back in 2006. He was a great guy and a great musician... does anyone have any pictures of Jimmy's Sho-Bud Blue darlin? Thanks!

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 10:46 am    

I may be mistaking, but I thought I read on the Forum awile back,that Herb Steiner, had Jimmy Day`s Blue Darlin, or that he was keeping for Marilyn.
Don Euton
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 11:00 am    

I think I heard that Earl Williams in Virginia has one of the Mullens.

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 11:54 am     Blanton Blue Darlin

I purchased The Jimmy Day Blue Darlin for a friend of mine and he lives in Arkansas, He spoke to Jerry and verified the serial #it is being played by a super Player, if you need more information you can contact me at navion@q.com or call 928-474-0355,

The guitar is in great shape and has an awesome sound!!
Del Mullen

Flagler Co. USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 6:40 pm    

A friend of all steel players Dr Wayne Yates in Denver has one, not sure which one.

Del Mullen
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 23 May 2010 6:12 am    

I have the remains of Jimmy's 1967 Sho bud blue darling 3 that I bought from him in 1987. In 1990 I bought a Emmons and let a friend use the sho bud that was trying to learn to play. He took the c6th neck off and put a pad there, After 20 yrs of being stored in an outside storage shed I got the remains back yesterday, he says he still has the c6th neck and rods and pickup somewhere around there and he will try to find them so I can put it back together. I sat it up in the shop and put new strings on the rusted remains and was knocked out by the tone of that great old bud. I think every bushing in the thing is worn out, maybe someday I will afford to have to it restored.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2010 6:48 am    

Gots ta see a pic or two Doyle!!
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2010 7:30 am    

jimmys last sho-bud blue darlin' living in the stl area.

seems that lynn owsley has the first of jimmys sho-bud blue darlins? think there was a pic posted some time back? maybe lynn will comment?
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 23 May 2010 1:44 pm    

Earl Williams in fact does have the last Blue Darlin, made by Mullen, for Jimmy.
I have a picture somewhere and will try and find it. The Blue has faded into a very nice shade of green. Jimmy passed away just before this guitar was completed and it was sent to Herby Wallace and Earl bought it from him.I sent the serial number to Mike Mantey and Del verified that this was the guitar they built for Jimmy.
Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 24 May 2010 5:18 am    

Kevin, I will snap a picture of the old bud. It was originally the color of the one shown and had a piece sign that Jimmy had some guy paint on the front of it. The varnish had just about all flaked off and the blue had faded out almost, so he sanded it and put varnish on the natural wood, but I will take a photo of what is left. If we could find the pros to put this thing back to mint condition donate their time, this would be a good fund raiser for a good cause we decided on. Maybe we could auction it off on the forum.
Rusty Rhoads

The Motor City
Post  Posted 24 May 2010 6:35 am     Blue Darlin #2

Kevin or Taco owns the permanant that jimmy played after the d8 blue darling
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 24 May 2010 11:25 am    

This is the only picture I could find of Earl Williams and the Mullen Blue Darlin. As I stated before it has turned to a nice green color
Lynn Owsley

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 May 2010 11:17 am     Blue Darlin

You asked about pics.... there is a pic of Buddy Emmons holding the Darlin, this is the Darlin that Buddy first built for Jimmy and it is the number 3 or 4 Shobud ever built. It was originally a Double 8 then changed to a 9 string E9th, then to a double 9. You can find it in many places on the net or on my website under pictures friends 1 page

LynnOwsley.com
Or click on the link below.
This guitar is not for sale...I will place it in a museum for display soon...This one belongs to history
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 May 2010 11:27 am    

Doyle Jimmy wanted to sell me his "Blue Darlins" in about 1975 it was a Sho-Bud and the fretboard was silk screened on to the guitar,You could see thru it,and it had big brass Rollers...Is that the guitar you have?I didn't think that I deserved it at the time.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 May 2010 7:07 am    

I don't own or possess any of Jimmy's guitars, and he had many he referred to as "Blue Darlin's". The last Sho-Bud, a Super Pro 2, was owned by Jurgen Koop for some time and is now the one owned by Bruce in Missouri.

When Jimmy passed on, he owned two Mullen BDs, not including the one that went to Herby Wallace. Jimmy was playing one, and one was in the possession of David Zettner and played by him. After the funeral, Marilyn needed money and Wayne Yakes bought one; I know David kept his for awhile. Then I lost track, David passed on, Marilyn had a massive stroke, and from that point on, others know more than I.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 29 May 2010 9:35 am    

Herb,The guitar that I was thinking about buying was the one before the blond one on the album cover.It was a turquoise stained color,Silk screened see thru fretboard,white Sho-Bud logo and hand lettered Blue Darlin'Maybe Charlie Day wound up with it? Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 29 May 2010 10:32 am    

Stu,

I, too, am curious about the disposition of this Blue Darlin'. If there was one guitar or repro of I'd love to have, it would be this one.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 29 May 2010 1:14 pm    

Drew,One more interesting thing Jimmy Had a Blanton guitar for a while,I think it was green?blue? he gave that to his nephew Charlie.Jimmy convinced me to buy a new Blanton,he said that it was the best guitar made. Winking
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 4:01 am    

Hi Drew
Great pictures.
Is that Willie Nelson on bass in the last picture, and Paycheck in the second ?.
Barry
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 4:13 am    

Here is a picture I posted back a few years ago of Jimmy and Jeff.

This is a picture of my nearly completed Weenick Steel. Jimmy's steel because of the lighting looks more of a teal color. In the same lighting my steel looks very close in color.