| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about the back neck of a dual pro
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 21 May 2010 3:38 pm    

So I recently got a dual 8 pro from a forumite and am really loving it.

I have c6 on the front neck and on the back I just put the bottom 8 notes of Tom Morrell's tuning.

There is a significant difference in tone between the front neck and the back neck and I'm not sure if it is the tuning, strings, or the pickup. I'm leaning towards the pickup and wonder if any of you have experience with different tonal differences.
Front neck sounds full and warm, the back flatter and more metallic. Going back to the front neck, it is almost like going to an acoustic.

I sort of like the two sounds, but I don't know if that is intentional with the model or not.
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 5:14 pm    

I've owned two Dual Pro eights in the past and with both steels found a difference in tone between the necks. The difference on my guitars was less than significant but noticeable. The outside neck was always a little brighter. No idea why. Some tunings prefered the inside neck and some the outside neck. That's what they told me !
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 5:30 pm    

Glad you are enjoying the Dual Pro. I have found that different necks on trapazoid pickup Fenders sound somewhat different and haven't yet figured out the exact rhyme or reason for such. In general it does seem that the thicker necks are brighter. Like Dave, I try to match my tunings and necks.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 21 May 2010 5:47 pm    

Matt,

I forget which tunings you had, but were you aware of the kind of difference I discribe? Strings are also much looser feeling, which indicates tuning and strings play a factor.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 6:13 pm    

I've found that the higher tuning sounds more even if you put it on the thicker neck.
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 8:49 pm    

I had the Don Helms E13 on the outside neck and A6/B11 on the inside of that guitar. I've been trying to keep the string tension pretty low to keep from stressing the old tuning pans. On a modern guitar I would use higher tension.
Chase Swan

Largo, Florida
Post  Posted 23 May 2010 10:28 pm    

The outside neck on mine is definitely a lot fuller sounding. Mine has the older (I think they're older...right?) rectangular boxcars, but I think it has to do with the thickness of the wood.

I keep that neck in C6 and inside neck in E13 as Rick Alexander suggested, and I find the tension to be fairly similar on both.

At any rate, you can't go wrong with a Dualy! Congratulations on getting one!