| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Session 500 and Carter Starter
Anthony Dickerson

Richmond, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 7:22 pm    

I'm playing out for the first time with my Carter Starter and a Session 500. I'm running a Sho-Bud volume pedal and a Dan-Echo in between the two. I can get the sound I want at low volumes but when I push the volume or go up the neck, it gets quacky and shrill. I understand that too much volume in a small space will make it shrill. I also know that the eq will change as I push the speaker a little harder, but I was wondering if there were any settings you might recommend trying to help alleviate this problem. My current settings are:

Pre: 5
Low: +9
Pyramid: -6
Shift: 800hz
High: -6ish
Presence: -3

Thanks!
Anthony
Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 1:02 am     Session 500mit Carter

Try putting the Dan-E after the guitar then the volume pedal.Be sure you battery or AC adapter are good also. Giving nothing is defective in the amp that might be your issue. Just my opinion. Thanks

Dwight

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 2:03 am    

Anthony...Try cutting your mid's completely and boosting the treble slightly. Peavey amps are known to have a very "honky" midrange. Also, eliminate the pedal from the chain and see if that makes a difference, some pedals can color your tone significantly.
Anthony Dickerson

Richmond, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 7:50 am    

Thanks for the suggestions guys! As it turns out, the volume pedal is coloring the sound a little bit but the mid thing helped too. It seems that the pedal is cutting the mids and the bottom just enough for me to tell the difference. That in combination with the mids needing to be cut a little more, seems to have fixed it. Any suggestions on a new pot that won't color the sound? It's definitely better but I still would like the tone back to what it is without the pedal. Thanks a million guys! I probably never would have figured this one out!

Anthony

On a side note, if you run the pedal thru the loop and the guitar straight in, what does that change? The only thing I really noticed was that the volume was a lot more touchy. Does the pedal then control the pre gain or is it just another option? Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Anthony Dickerson on 23 May 2010 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 22 May 2010 8:36 am    

Another thing to consider is that the pre-gain should always be lower than the post-gain for the cleanest sound.