| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Squier's new 'Classic Vibe' line of Strats, a Tele, and more
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 4:44 am    

Got it - 'best since...'

I'm currently in a twenty-three week-long stretch of decently-paid work, so $379 won't break the bank. Anyway, when my wife noticed that I hadn't bought another guitar in at least two months she got out the thermometer and took my temperature......

This will reassure her that all is well.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 7:26 am    

David Mason wrote:
...there's a really good reason that the imports are cleaning the clock of some famous companies - it's called "setup."

I got one of these cheap Indonesian made Squiers this Friday, needed a backup guitar asap for a tour, and was blown away by how well it was set up. Nice round fret ends, and the action was even lower than I prefer with absolutely no buzzing or fret outs when bending. Pickups/electronics was also better than I expected.

Only 'error' was that the string through holes in the bridge wasn't a perfect match to those in the body, which caused some problems when changing the strings (especially the low E). But that's an easy fix.

It'll never replace my main guitars, but as a cheap backup it's more than good enough:

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 1:05 pm     Not too much stacks up to that!

Sheesh, why worry about a Squire when you have real McCoys toys like those?!

OTOH, one can never have enuf cool guitars, and a CV Tele is indeed cool.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 4:21 pm     Re: Not too much stacks up to that!

Ron Whitfield wrote:

Sheesh, why worry about a Squire when you have real McCoys toys like those?!

Ummm... maybe to keep the Peavey Classic 30 company? All of the other amps are real classics, as are the two '52 reissues. Not that there is anything wrong with a Classic 30. Razz

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 4:56 pm    

Hmmmm...

Naw....

Um...

Well maybe you want something made by legal citizens of the country they are made in..

Even if some of them are prisoners...

Actually "Harmony Music Ltd in Madras India" where they made the SSH Squiers recently has a web presence with a "factory" shot that looks suspiciously like a jail. Not to mention the company sign is obviously Photoshopped.. The razor wire is a nice touch..

It all started for me when I brough 1200$ down to GC and vowed to come back with a nice "tele". I tried the MIM and the MIUSA, and neither matched the feel of sound of the Butterscotch Blond Squier. It was thinner too, like I think the easliest Teles were.

From the ones I've tried off the rack, I think the squiers needed less fret end filing, played nicer, and in general weren't overpriced by a factor of 3... If I'm gonna spend over a grand for a guitar I don't wanna have to file the ends off the frets. If it's a 300$ guitar I don't mind so much..

Smile

EJL
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 9:25 am     Re: Not too much stacks up to that!

Steve Ahola wrote:
[Ummm All of the other amps are real classics, as are the two '52 reissues. Not that there is anything wrong with a Classic 30. Razz

Steve Ahola

The Classic 30 is a great amp and has a unique sound compared to any of the Fenders , EL84's just have a diffent flair about them. It's actually the amp I use the most ! The next one I use often is not even pictured, 2x12 Hot Rod Deville. I have used each of the amps on gigs and like them all but mostly I just like looking at them !.

The two Tele's are just great but I want to put a Hipshot on a Telecaster and I am not going to put any holes in the bodies of either of these two guitars, the CV seems like a nice choice, good press. I have lots of parts and am eying a couple of loaded bodies , so several options.

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 26 May 2010 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 May 2010 12:39 am    

Well, a friend called and advised me to stop in at GC and check out the CV Tele, so I did.. It's unbelievable, as a diehard 52 owner/player I will probably buy one of these soon and as it would be real easy to go right to a gig with it. Clearly these guitars will not be around long for $349....The one that I played apparently had just been put on the floor, it had never been tuned and the strings were brand new. I can see installing the HipShot B,G and drop E on this guitar , no issues. If I had to change anything it would be the neck pup, just a tad bright for my taste, but that's not much of a issue at all.

Ok, I'm sold !

t

Last edited by Tony Prior on 22 May 2010 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2010 10:37 am    

Many have been saying these prices will rise again from the last price jump of about a year ago. They are bound to, everything does, but Fender has stayed away from killing this golden goose, so far... I think they are raking in some serious do re mi with the CV line and more players are becoming converts.

Cheap guitars from the past and some of current vintage aren't all dogs and some are even superior, they just don't have our favorite brand logos. A friend has an old Harmony Strat, with the penguin headstock, and it's a very fine guitar. Same with most old Charvel Strats, killer necks. The vintage Japanese copy market has guitars that have become very collectable because they rival the big buck collectables in every way, sometimes topping them. Same friend got a nicely 'aged' Edwards '59 faded cherry Les Paul for 1G, popped a pair of Mules in and it's one bad mofo that can do great mellow jazz as well. Sounds, plays, and look's like the real deal.

But these CVs have surprised many purists.
Like all guitars, you gotta have a bit of luck to get the pick of the litter, even tho the CVs are pretty consistant.
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 7:40 am    

I played a CV P-bass a couple months ago. It was really quite nice. Surprisingly so. I almost bought it.

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2010 9:51 am    

I have one of each of the CV models. And I did so by selling off all but one of my more expensive guitars and had cash left over. Last CV I bought was the Jazz Bass and it has unbelievable sustain. Any of the CV teles has a lot better neck on it than my $750 Fender Nashville tele. I too like the thinner body styles on the CV strats and the fact that the pickups are great right out of the box.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2010 2:48 am    

Purchased a CV Tele..see my review here...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1613431#1613431

t

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2010 2:54 pm    

I finally got to play a CV Strat the other day at Best Buy (Guitar Center Lite). They had one only, and no Teles.

I see what some of you guys are saying about the necks - this guitar had a nice feel.

I'm actually in the market for a Tele, or Tele-style guitar in the next several months.

My only question about these Squiers is longevity.

On the positive side, I'm thinking that these ballpark $350-$380 CV jobs might have enough of an upgrade in components that they might go through several years of regular usage without needing a bunch of maintenance work, as compared to the lower level Squiers that typically retail for $200-$250.

That's where I have the concern. These CV guitars when new look like a Tele, feel a lot like a Tele, and the sound is pretty close to a Tele. My son has had a couple of the ballpark $225 Squiers, and what I have seen over the course of about 6-7 years is pickup switches and pots going funky, cable jacks loosening, weird things going on with the bridge. But that is on the $225 guitars. And he is hard on equipment, not nearly as careful as I am (he hasn't worked as long and hard as I have to be able to buy equipment).

So maybe the increased price allows for enough of an improvement in parts to take the guitar over the hump to where it won't crap out on you after a few years? I don't know - just thinking out loud here.

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2010 7:18 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:

So maybe the increased price allows for enough of an improvement in parts to take the guitar over the hump to where it won't crap out on you after a few years?

I'm hoping it won't crap out after a few gigs !

t Whoa!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2010 8:48 am    

Tony, you're not inspiring a lot of confidence here! Shocked Wink

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2010 9:32 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:
Tony, you're not inspiring a lot of confidence here! Shocked Wink

I charge extra for inspiration... Cool

Actually I just learned that the Hipshot system I bought , raise B, raise G and drop E is arriving today, it is specifically for this CV50 Telecaster. I have already prepared the guitar for the install, I also put a set of 52 RI PUPS on it which I had stashed away and rewired the control plate with real wire !

This is a nice guitar it should last far more than a few gigs... Laughing

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2010 12:54 pm    

2 words: Wood seasoning! Which is just a matter of luck. It's not likely that these guys have elaborate drying sheds with humidity & temperature monitoring, full of 2, 3, 5-year-old wood... A neck that's cut and finished green may stay in exactly the same place for the rest of your life, it may skew off into any which way, just roll the dice I guess. I prefer the USA Custom or Warmoth route, I know that they know how to build 'em.