| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Indy Steel Guitar Show - june 27th Greenwood, IN
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 8:37 am    

The Indy Steel Guitar show will be held at the Greenwood American Legion on june 27th at 11:30 am. Confirmed players are listed below and info will be added as it comes to me.

Herby Wallace, Dewitt Scott, Don Curtis, L T Zinn, Rusty Rhoads, Jeff Surratt, Lynda Wright, Chester Brummett, Sharon Denney, Charlie Morris, Leon Mercer, Jerry Taylor, Jerry Fessenden, Brett Lanier

Greenwood American Legion
334 U S Hwy 31 S. Greenwood, IN
starting at 11:30 am in the morning !
contact Sharron Denney 317-535-9772
Don E. Curtis

St Louis, Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 May 2010 10:43 am     My Hometown...

No wonder this is one of my favorite shows and I get to play with Don Jr. on drums and hope that Janie Monday will be there on bass...
See you there!
Don E.
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 May 2010 1:24 pm     Indy Show

I am looking forward to this great show as I haven't been back to this area in awhile. I hope to see many of you there.

Herby Wallace
Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2010 5:17 am     Indy show

This will be a first time for me , I look forward to being there ... Meeting a new bunch of players is always great . Maube I can think of some new tunes too. JF
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2010 6:10 pm     Indy Steel guitar show

I'm counting the days Herby. I've had Mr. Wallace and Company playing non-stop in my ipod ever since you sent it to me last week. It is truely a work of art! I hope you can find it in your heart to play Avalon during the show... It's my favorite.
Stay safe
David Graves
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2010 7:00 pm    

Davey, Wish I could make this show. Maybe next year.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Don E. Curtis

Post  Posted 20 May 2010 2:27 pm     cabinet drop

Hey Jerry, just wanted to remind you that I will be bringing my cabinet drop to the show!
Can't play without it!!
Don E.
Don E. Curtis

Post  Posted 26 May 2010 5:14 pm     ^

to the top!
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2010 5:48 pm     Indy Show

Bill... I'll make sure and enjoy the show for you too. I'm gonna spend most of the day trying to steal some of Herby's hot licks but I'll make sure and get you some pictures while I'm at it.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 5:46 pm    

I am very excited for this show! Let's bump it up.
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2010 7:44 pm    

Bumpity Bump Bump
Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2010 10:01 am     Indy

It's getting closer ,,,so, get ready... ah, Don ,,, I have a few trade-ins with some hardly used cab -drop ... I'll put them on standby in case we get a run on it. We will have a survey and application for cabinet drop available .. JF
Don E. Curtis

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2010 11:22 am     ice cream

Most importantly...Herby still owes me an Ice Cream Sandwich!
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2010 8:48 pm    

when we're kids we can't wait for Christmas morning.. then we get older. Now I can't wait for the Indy steel guitar convention. I'm a kid again Very Happy
Don E. Curtis

Post  Posted 17 Jun 2010 1:31 pm     lineup showtimes

This is from Sharon...always subject to change:

Indy Steel Guitar Club Concert – June 27, 2010

Charlie Morris 11:30
Leon Mercer 12:05
Lynda Wright 12:40
Chet Brummett 1:15
Jeff Surratt 1:50
DeWitt Scott 2:25
Don E. Curtis 3:00
L. T. Zinn 3:35
Sharon Denney 4:05
Jerry Fessenden 4:20
Brett Lanier 4:40
Jerry Taylor 5:15
Rusty Rhoads 5:50
Herby Wallace 6:25
Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2010 10:55 am     Indy

Less than a week,, I better practice up... Looking fwd to seeing Herby & all the others. JF
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2010 4:34 pm     Show

Well, I am really looking forward to this great show as I haven't been back to this area in awhile and Sharon Denny really has a good lineup this time. I have one piece of news I want to add. To musician friends of mine who I haven't seen in awhile are coming up to work with me. They are Rick Ferguson on bass and Danny Jackson on drums. I am really excited about getting to work with these guys again as they are one of the best rhythm sections I have ever gotten to work with, so believe me, it will be a treat to hear them if you haven't, so I hope to see many of you there.

Herby Wallace
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2010 4:25 pm     Indy steel guitar show

Tomorrow's the big day. Hope to see you all there.
Bump Bump Bump
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2010 7:58 pm    

Rusty Rhoads absolutely KILLED at the show. He brought a bit of Lower Broad with him to Indy...it was fantastic. I say that anyone who wants to hear real Nashville pickin' should make it a point to trek to wherever he is playing nearby since he was THAT GOOD.

He played a set alongside Gordon Lowry from "Little" Nashville (IN)....Gordon was the staff fiddle player from the Little Nashville Opry for (I think) 20 years...used to play with Ray Price, too.....and let me tell you folks, that Gordon almost stole the show from every one he sat in with. Herby Wallace made note on how his intonation was dead on....and that guy had chops. He did a teardown of "Orange Blossom Special" with Rusty that was the highlight of the entire show.

Must also note that this was the first time that I had seen Jerry Taylor. He was another highlight of the show for me. I talked to him after the show and even though he never heard of Red Rhodes, I saw many facets of Red's style in his playing. Needless to say I was VERY happy watching and listening to him play. Smile

And Don Curtis, as usual, played a stellar set....I really enjoyed his Jimmy Day-style "Wild Side of Life". I did miss his "I Love Lucy" theme, though! Sad

I am just glad there is still so much interest in a show here in Indianapolis. Seems like all of the active steel players I know around here don't bother to come to these shows....but all the older ones I don't know (most I assume were active around here in the '60s - '80s) come out in droves ....but I will enjoy it while it is here Smile
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 12:27 pm     Indy Steel Guitar Show

What an incredible show it was! Your right.. Rusty laid down the gauntlet.. and with only a couple of hours sleep. ( thats another story ) I felt like I had won the lottery yesterday..not only to hear Rusty smoke the strings off his incredible sounding Jackson but to be playing lead guitar with the "A Team" for Herby Wallace.. My Idol. I was fortunate enough to work with Gordon "Gordie" Lowry about 20 years ago for a long time and we had the absolute time of our lives! We did a long running gig in a club in Southern Indiana and we even roomed together. And for the record.. Gordon's a smoking guitar player also. Wow what a time it was!!
I thought everyone sounded great. I loved Lynda's version of Girl from Impanema and Jerry Taylor is a one man show.. just like Don Curtis. And.. watch out for Brett Lanier. What a breath of fresh air to see such a young man with so much talent and love for the steel guitar. We need more just like him. It was the first time I'd gotten to see Jerry Fessenden play.. he's smooooth.

I have to say thank you to Rick Ferguson and Danny Jackson for allowing me to be part of the "A-Team" with Herby. I was so in focus of watching Herby that I forgot I was suppose to be playing lead. If you ever wonder what the "perfect rythymn section" is.. you saw them yesterday. Except for the lighting storm that tried to take all of us out while loading equipment.. it was a great day! Big Thanks to Sharon and all of the Indy group for their hospitality and hard work to keep the show going. "Lord'y they're good people!"

Scotty will always be the greatest lap steel, front man, comedian, judge and jury around. I really enjoyed all of the pickers!!!

And for the record.. I don't think I've met a more genuine, humble, incredible musician than Herby Wallace. I spent a large part of the day trading stories ( could you believe that Herby had stories? Laughing

If you missed this show.. shame on you! Make plans for next year. I'll be there.
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2010 7:54 pm    

Pics posted over here: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=186876
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 8:37 am    

Joe.. thank you for adding the pictures. If anyone else out there got any pictures or video I'd love to see them and would be interested in purchasing the video. Thank you to all
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2010 3:08 pm     Show

Well, I just returned from this great shows and it was one of the best. Sharon really outdid herself putting this together as everything about it was great. The highlight for me was getting to work with this great band again. They were one of the finest I have ever worked with and believe me, I don't say that unless I sincerely mean it. Rick Ferguson on bass, Danny Jackson on drums, Gordon Lowry on fiddle and David Graves on guitar. Believe me, they made my day. If I was able to play with players like this all the time, I might get some of my chops back as they really get me fired up where I want to play.

Thanks again, Sharon,

Herby Wallace
Don E. Curtis

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2010 11:18 am     great show, great band, great time!

Indeed! I wouldn't miss it! The band was fabulous and I always enjoy when Don Jr. is on drums. Plus he played for Scotty and Uncle Leonard.
Many thanks to Sharon for everything she does!
Wonderful to see friends and have so much fun.
See you next year and thanks for the compliments.
Sincerely,
Don E.