| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tonebar Question
Brad Weeks

Cedar Rapids,Iowa
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 11:59 am    

Gentlemen,
I am brand new at this and I was just imformed that my new steel will be shipped next week. So I am now preparing for that.
For a beginner like myself, do I spend the extra money to get a nice chrome bar that I will have for a long, long time or would you reccamend that I get a stainless to start with? Do the chrome bars have that much of a sound difference that I would even notice? Thank you guys for the help,
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 12:19 pm    

http://www.bjsbars.com/bars.html

The best! It is worth the extra few bucks.

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 13 May 2010 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 12:20 pm    

Hey Brad, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new guitar. I started with a standard 7/8" bar 3 weeks ago and just switched to a BJS bar. My guitar is a 10 string but Al Brisco of Steel Guitars Canada suggested I get the 15/16" bar with the 12 string length (3 9/16").

I'm not playing long enough to tell a lot of difference in tone as that comes with time and practice (it's in the hands)but what I can tell you is that it is much easier to get around the fretboard with this bar (at least for me).

It is heavier and longer. One drawback could be getting up and down the fretboard slower than a lighter one but that hasn't shown to be a problem since I'm not playing fast at this point in time anyway.

So far I love it. Easier to control because of the extra weight as well.

I'm sure you'll get others with much more experience than I to chime in and give a more professional opinion.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 1:43 pm    

Welcome to the Forum Brad.

Tonebars are a subjective matter. There are many varieties. Let your ears, heart, gut, and last, budget tell you what is best for you.

Keith Davidson wrote:
...Al Brisco of Steel Guitars Canada suggested I get the 15/16" bar with the 12 string length (3 9/16")...it is much easier to get around the fretboard with this bar (at least for me)...It is heavier and longer...Easier to control because of the extra weight as well.

Keith,

I read your post here and I recently posted about using the 12 string bar on 10 string for avoiding charlie horse cramps in the left hand, which I suffered from. I switched from a Dunlop 920 (7.5 oz - 7/8" X 3-1/4") to a 921 (1" X 3-3/4" 11.5oz.) and all symptoms were alleviated.

Clete
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 2:47 pm    

Great bar at a great price.
http://www.bulletbars.com/pricing.html
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 4:46 pm    

BJS 7/8" birthstone bar for me, tho I started with a dunlop.

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 5:00 pm    

One pointer Brad, you can't use a Stainless bar with stainless wound strings, be aware of the metallurgical and engineering terminology "pick-up". It's where two similar metals rubbing together exchange deposits of material.

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Leon Champion

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2010 5:09 pm     tonebar

BJS,you wont regret it. it will last forever. call Bill he will know what you need. Thanks Leon C.
Brad Weeks

Cedar Rapids,Iowa
Post  Posted 14 May 2010 12:09 am    

BJS it is. That is what i will purchase in chrome. Thank you very much for the help. That is what I was looking at and had almost went ahead and went with one, but thought being completely new at this, I'd better check with you experts. You all are great help. Thanks again.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2010 2:41 am    

I use George L's (Stainless wound) and just started using a new Bullet bar and don't expect any problem with the current Stainless Steel that Jim Burden is using with his Bullet bars.

Don Sulesky has been using a Bullet bar for quite a while on his guitars, with GHS SS strings and hasn't run into any problem.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 May 2010 4:28 am    

Just to reiterate..Irrespective of other's experiences, believe me, my family owned the Birmingham Steel Company and I was trained as a metallurgist/toolmaker with BSA Guns..
basilh wrote:
One pointer Brad, you can't use a Stainless bar with stainless wound strings, be aware of the metallurgical and engineering terminology "pick-up". It's where two similar metals rubbing together exchange deposits of material.

The main supplier of steel to the gun companies was the Birmingham Steel Company, our family owned concern right up until 1944.(Now the site of the Corporation Bus Depot) A family concern for generations since the industrial revolution, hence my work as a "young un'" as a metallurgist and lab technician at .... BSA Guns Marshal Lake Road, and my Dad's employment as the spares manager and race team co-ordinator at BSA Small Heath.

Birmingham, England, was the centre of the world pen trade for more than a century, employing thousands of people, pioneering craftsmanship, manufacturing processes and employment opportunities especially for women. The availability of cheap pens accelerated the development of education and literacy throughout the world.
And the Steel for the pens came from !! Yes you've guessed it..
Read what it says, "At the height of the trade, three quarters of EVERYTHING written down in the World was with a Birmingham Pen"
Arne Odegard

Norway
Post  Posted 14 May 2010 4:55 am    

Get a BJS... I don't why its better, it just is.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 May 2010 1:26 pm    

Tribotone or BJS depending on tonal requirements.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 14 May 2010 7:53 pm    

I wouldn't worry about the tonal differences between bars for a while. Most of tone is in the hands. Emmons would probably sound better than most of us with a lighter. I have a Bjs 15/16th and I do notice I slightly better tone, but now I'm using my old dunlop 7/8th because I'm playing a new tune that I have to pick the bar up a lot and I can't pick up the 15/16 up quick enough. Also it's a little easier to be dead on the fret marker with a smaller bar (visually, and there is less surface area hitting the string). I started using the bigger bars because I was getting a cramp in my left hand. I think a lot of begginers do, but it shouldn't be the reason for using a bigger bar. Just gotta learn to relax your hand.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2010 7:30 am    

How come nobody has mentioned the Zirconia bar?
I love my John Hughey model BJS bar but, right now, I'm playing with my Zirconia bar, it's a toss up between the two. A slight difference in tone but up here in the permafrost region, the zirc bar feels much more user friendly when you pick it up. Very Happy
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2010 8:21 pm    

i realize that the question is answered, but I have to chime in for Tribo-tone - amazing bar, I love it!
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2010 9:38 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
How come nobody has mentioned the Zirconia bar?
I love my John Hughey model BJS bar but, right now, I'm playing with my Zirconia bar, it's a toss up between the two. A slight difference in tone but up here in the permafrost region, the zirc bar feels much more user friendly when you pick it up. Very Happy

I also use a Zirconia bar. But I thought that they are no longer being made. Are they available again?

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 17 May 2010 6:33 am    

basilh wrote:
...my family owned the Birmingham Steel Company and I was trained as a metallurgist/toolmaker with BSA Guns.....

It's a small world. Most of my male forebears in the 19th century worked in Birmingham for BSA (Birmingham Small Arms).
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2010 7:05 am    

Mike,
Yes, they are available again.
Do a search here on the Forum and you will get the ordering instructions.
I bought one a couple of years ago and then when they recently became available again, I ordered a 2nd one.
You won't be disappointed! Very Happy
Brad Weeks

Cedar Rapids,Iowa
Post  Posted 17 May 2010 11:39 am    

Thanks guys for your help. Just got off of the cell with Bill at BJS bars. He is an extremely helpful gentleman and very knowlegeable as well. So I went ahead with the 7/8 chrome, what I think is a top of the line bar in chrome. Here is my thinking,,,, yes it is a pricy bar, but it is something I will now have forever and I won't wish down the line that I had bought a better bar. I know at my stage of this learning experience that I have a long road ahead of me (just learning)and I realize it takes a long long timeto play one of these contraptions,,,, but it should be a fun challenge at times. Oh, and for only ten bucks more, I added my birthstone to my BJS bar.
You guys on here are a true blessing and an awsome resourse.....THANK YOU!!!!