| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Harold Floyd - Tampa area Lead Picker
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 May 2010 5:50 am    

I just got word from Bill Floyd (Harold's brother) that he passed away yesterday. He has had some health problems recently and about a week ago suffered a heart attack and stroke at the same time. He wasn't expected to make it through the day but survived for almost a week.

Harold was an excellent commercial lead picker (played a Tele) and has worked in the Tampa area for many years. I've worked a couple of jobs with him and his brother (Bill Floyd is an ex Tampa DJ, singer and songwriter).

Here is the only picture I have of Harold. We were backing Ray Pillow on a show in Ruskin, FL.

In the picture, left to right, Bernie Waldon (Bass), Ray Pillow, Bobby Fisher (Drums), Harold Floyd (Lead) and me on steel.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 5:00 am    

I've played many shows with Harold and just heard that he passed away on Friday. I worked with him at the Christian Retreat east of Bradenton for several years on their once-a-month Saturday evening Jamboree shows where the program was classic country and gospel music under the direction of Tim Pritchard, one of the finest piano players I've ever worked with.

Rest in peace, Harold.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 7:09 am    

Larry

Was that Harold on guitar when I used to do the 'Retreat'? I can't be sure from Jack's picture because of the lighting.

If so, that's very sad - I liked him and had fun playing with him.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 8:04 am    

Yes, Roger. He had grey/silver hair and often wore a baseball cap -- big baseball fan. Nothing flashy, just a good solid lead player.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 4:24 am    

When I lived in Bradenton Fl I went to the Retreat many times and the band was great.Tim Pritchard was the best keyboard person I ever saw on stage and Harold was very good on the Tele too.They usually had a good steel picker. Roger or Larry Bell and a guy who only played in the winter season.They always made sure the steel was in the mix too.
Clyde Wiggins

Bradenton, Florida USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2010 7:45 pm    

Tom Murphy and I had the pleasure of having Harold play with us on several occasions. Always great!! I have known him since high school and can attest to his charcter and music ability.

RIP Harold

Clyde
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2010 12:18 pm    

Many years I spent in Tampa....This guy was an icon on the local scene..He will be sorely missed...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!