| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  what gauge picks do you use......
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 6:59 pm    

Just wondering what gauge picks players use and why? Is there a difference in tone, etc. or is it just a personal preference.

I'm currently using Dunlop .018, round face. There's another question - what are the advantages/disadvantages of flat face vs round face, thicker/thinner?

Thanks in advance.
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 7:10 pm    

Hi Keith,
I've been using .025 Dunlops for decades. Most of my best sets are plated by BJS. On the tips, the plating is worn off, but some of my sets I've used for more than 10 years so they are very comfortable. I have no idea the advantages other than comfort, and knowing where the pick will strike the string. The thinner picks, like yours, tend to bend while in storage. Of course that depends how you store them. By the way, I don't even know if my picks are round or flat face as I've never heard that question before.
Keep on pickin',
Dave
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 7:21 pm    

Thanks Dave, I bought my guitar from Al Brisco of Steel Guitars Canada and under his accessories link for picks it shows a picture of flat face and round face picks.

Just curious.

Also,I was reading a post about bending picks over the end of the fingertip and I did that with mine and it feels a lot better. Just did it tonight so it will take some getting used to.

And like you said they bend real easy, certainly didn't need pliers, just bent them with my fingers. lol
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 7:28 pm    

Oh yes, I bend my picks to basically take the shape of my finger tips. It would be hard to describe, but when I have more time, I'll take pictures of my picks on my fingers.
So far, you are asking great questions. Best of luck, and I'll check in on the thread later.
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 7:30 pm    

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Keith
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 8:37 pm    

i think mine are 24 gage ..i know they are heavy gage . its to hard keeping the thin one's in shape

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 8:49 pm    

Great, thanks. Time to invest in some new picks right away.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 8:58 pm    

I normally use Dunlop .025 finger-picks, because; although I also like .018's I have a little more difficulty in keeping them in place while picking!
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 9:21 pm    

Dunlop 0.25's YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 May 2010 9:51 pm    

Dunlop .025" for me; any lighter and I have difficulty getting the attack I like.

Dave:

The 'plated' picks you describe sound interesting, but I went to the BJS site and didn't see them. Are they still available, do you know?
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 6:39 am    

I like heavy picks,and if I´d find any heavier than
the usual Dunlop 025´s,I´d purchase them forthwith,
but since I have loads of the aforementioned kicking
around,that´s what I use...Mcutsi
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 6:45 am    

Ok, probably should have asked this with the initial question, but what about thumb picks?

I am currently using a Dunlop (large), but noticed on the www.steelguitarcanada.com (accessories/picks) that there are "perfect touch" picks and the thumb pick looks totally different than the normal style.

Anybody use these? What are your preferences for thumb picks?

Sorry, should have asked that with the first question.

Thanks,

Keith
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 7:01 am    

I like the Golden Gate thumbpick. I bought a box of twenty from Billy Cooper back in 2001 and I'm still using the first one out of the box!

I actually find the Nationals a touch more comfortable - and a touch less 'clumpy'! - but they never last more than a few shows before they snap in half... Confused I do have a big thumb, and I suppose that the National 'Large' isn't 'large' enough.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 7:08 am    

I play with Dunlop's .015 and .018 gauge.
I find the lighter gauge picks easier to shape to my fingers.
However, when it comes to thumb picks, I'm just the opposite. I like a nice heavy thumb pick.
In fact, my present thumb pick is white with a piece of faux tortoise shell glued to the picking area.
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 8:08 am    

Just googled the golden gate thumpick, WOW, what a nice looking pick!

Any idea where I could get one in Canada? The cheapest shipping Elderly has is $10.00 for 2 thumbpicks!

Thanks
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 8:14 am    

I don't know what Billy Cooper would charge, but I can't see why he wouldn't still stock them. Try Al Brisco, too.

I've found Elderly a bit inflexible on matters of shipping - I bought some cases from them a few years ago and it wound up being very expensive!
Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 8:23 am    

As far as thumpicks, I've been using Herco Flex 52's for decades. I think they used to be called Herco h114 or something like that. Ed Black gave me one back when he was working with Bailie and the Boys. I used that pick for years until I finally found some more of them. I now have a big stash of them, even though they seem to last for ever.
Let me know if you can't find any, I'll send you one.
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 8:36 am    

METAL thumb picks,always...Dunlop,again.McUtsi
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 8:46 am    

Thanks so much for the replys guys, really appreciate it.

Dave, thanks so much for the offer. I'll gladly pay you for the pick and the shipping. Do you have paypal?

Would love to try as many different kinds as I can so I can find what I like the best and stick with it for a while.

Thanks
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 9:50 pm    

Dunlop .025 fingerpicks with heat shrunk tubing on the tabs, and large plastic Dunlop thumbpicks.
White picks sound better to me than tortoise shell, and are easier to spot on the floor. Laughing

Clete
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 2:30 am    

Pretty hard to be the vote for .025 Dunlops. Just ordered a couple of sets of the coated ones from Andy Hinton.

Still trying to find a thumb pick that works for me. I'm using the large dunlop white plastic one at the moment and it's actually not too bad.

Still trying to find a Golden Gate thumb pick in Canada.
Andy Hinton

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 3:05 am     Picks

Hey Keith: Thanks for the order. They're going in the post office this morning. I like the Kelly speed pick on my thumb. Got a heavier blue one I found in Dallas last year that i like best. The white ones are a little tight for me. Happy pickin' with your new Coated picks. Andy H.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 3:26 am    

I prefer the "Zookie" L-30 thumbpicks with the angled blades. This feature allows the pick to strike the string on the flat part of the blade rather than the edge. Years ago in my Bluegrass days, most banjo players I knew would place their thumbpicks in boiling water and then bend the blades with pliers to the desired angle. (Buying them already done is much more convenient.) Billy Cooper's stocks them and they are available in different sizes and blade angles.
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 9:02 am     picks

Over the years I've tried just about every thumb and finger pick available. Because I consider my picks to be an extension "of me" and am extreemly "pickey" about my picks, I give a whole lot of attention to the subject.
As to thumb picks,,,a couple of years or so ago a friend gave me an array of Fred Kelly thumb picks. I liked just about all of them, but the one that has really been the "answer" is the white Fred Kelly Speed Pick. I call 'em the "ice picks". At first it took a minute or so to get used to the different look and feel, but then all of a sudden I realized that this pick was simply the best. The notes came "alive" as never before. It was to say the least, an overwhelming experience. I havn't seen or tried the blue one but would like to.
Now,,,finger picks,,,as they apply to me and my style of picking,,,a flimsy/thin pick results in a flimsy/thin sound that has little or no character. They are probably fine for some "finesse" picking, but lack the ability to be "bold" when needed. I find that you can be just as "finessful" with a heavier finger pick as with a thin one if you take the time to learn how. That old addage "it's all in the hands" really comes to mind here.
So, my conclusion and experience is that the heavier finger picks covers all the bases for your musical endovers, expressions, emotions and stylings.
My favorite is the National finger picks with the chromed Newman "BJ" a very close second choice.
It's also a good habit to keep your picks cleaned, polished and tarnish free.
BB
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 11:03 am    

Thanks for all the replies guys. Andy, thanks for sending the picks out to me so quickly.

Anybody familiar or have used the "perfect touch" picks and in particular the perfect touch thumbpick?

Thanks again,

Keith