| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mcafee and BIAB
Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 5:37 pm    

I just installed Wndows 7 to replace Windows XP, I installed Mcafee first then BIAB (2007 version) BIAB is not working right do I need to unistall BIAB and Mcafee then install BIAB before Mcafee ??
Don
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 8:08 pm    

Don;
McAfee should not interfere with BIAB's installation, unless it contains a Trojan. However, McAfee recently hosed tens of thousands of Windows XP computers it was supposed to be protecting, because of a flawed definition update. Perhaps you should install BIAB, then install McAfee, then update it, then scan for problems.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2010 2:05 am    

McAfee is not the problem, I had a PC with McAfee and BIAB on it.

What is the BIAB problem? What version of BIAB do you have? Upgrading from XP to Win 7 is a major upgrade and perhaps something wasn't installed that is needed. On many PC's there are motherboard chipset drivers and they must be installed after installing the operating system and before installing any device drivers (e.g. sound, video, etc). I see a lot of problems after installs on the Dell forum caused by users skipping the chipset drivers.

As far as McAfee, I dumped it (after the 1 year was up) and am now using the free Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 7.
Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2010 5:31 pm    

I uninstalled both then installed BIAB then Mcafee everything works like it should now. I noticed a big difference in the time it took to install BIAB. Much longer when I installed Mcafee first.
Don
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 7:57 am    

Don Olson wrote:
I uninstalled both then installed BIAB then Mcafee everything works like it should now. I noticed a big difference in the time it took to install BIAB. Much longer when I installed Mcafee first.
Don

Then McAfee was interfering with the installation. It must have been closely checking every file in the BIAB setup package. Disabling your anti-virus to install programs leaves you at risk if the setup contains a Trojan.

If McAfee is too slow try Trend Micro or Norton.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 8:09 am    

Now that you mention it, when I had McAfee it would always flag one of the legitimate BIAB files when it did an antivirus scan. I was able to set that file as an "ignore" in McAfee.

I now use the free Microsoft Security Essentials and no problems.
Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 5:12 pm    

I have always used Norton and had no trouble but I thought I would save a few bucks and try Mcafee. I guess I will go back to Norton but people tell me it slows the computer down. I will look into Microsoft.
Don
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 6:58 pm    

Don Olson wrote:
I have always used Norton and had no trouble but I thought I would save a few bucks and try Mcafee. I guess I will go back to Norton but people tell me it slows the computer down. I will look into Microsoft.
Don

If Microsoft Security Essentials does not meet your expectations, please try out Trend Micro Internet Security free for 30 days, full featured. The Pro version happens to now be on sale for 30% off list.
Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 5:30 pm    

Thanks Wiz I'll have a look.
Don