| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  help with a national console
Scott Prawalsky

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2010 12:13 pm    

Hi all,
I posted here before regarding this guitar, and I could use some more help. I've been restoring a grand console (dual eight) for awhile when I have time. Someone did a serious hack job on this thing. I've managed to get as far as re-finishing and re-gluing the entire thing and now I'm trying to put it back together. THE PROBLEM: the pickups have been tested and are working. some of the pole pieces have rusted to a point where the screwhead is busted off. They also don't stick out through the pickup covers when re-assembled like some examples I've seen on the web. I was told by one guy that I didn't want to have anything to do with removing pole pieces from a pickup, that I could do serious damage. He suggested I just use what is there...
Do the pole pieces need to extend out through the pickup covers to function properly? Is there anywhere that sells them? Should I manufacture my own?
Help!...anyone have some advice for a novice fixer upper of an old beauty?
Thanks,
Scotty
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2010 2:27 pm    

If the pole adjusting screws are not movable or are not there, you may have some strings with higher volume than others, and be unable to adjust volume between strings. It will be a delicate job to fix, like drilling out the broke off screws etc, but it can likely be done. A drop of penetrating oil on those before attempting a fix may help. A tap drill for that thread would likely be the way to go. If you were to get those re-wound, the pole screws could be removed while the winding is off of the bobbin.
Not an easy fix........
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2010 2:39 pm    

Before you fix it, make sure it needs fixing. If the pickup has been tested and is functioning, install it (even in a test board) and see if you're getting a valid output for all strings.

Sometimes just because it's rusty looking doesn't mean it needs fixing.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2010 2:51 pm    

Good idea. Very Happy
Jim Konrad

The Great Black Swamp USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 7:54 am    

What kind of strings? The strings can make a huge difference, try nickel wrap if you have not already done so. Just might do the trick.

Good luck!!
Scott Prawalsky

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 8:39 am    

Hi guys,
Thanks for the imput....Brad, best advice ever. I don't mind a little rust, as the whole thing looks like it may have been left out in the yard. I'm more interested in the way the guitar will sound. The output on both pickups seems to be right on the money, although I don't know how to test each individual pole. I'm new to the steel and to guitar repair. My main concern was if the pole pieces need to come through the brass (i think) pickup covers for me to get the sound I'm looking for from the pickups...My first steel was a 50s New Yorker on loan from a local music store. Right now I'm playing a 50s Supro 6 string and a late 60s Tonemaster on legs...I love the tone of the National the most, and am hoping that this guitar will sound similar. I'll give what I've got a try and see what happens...thanks guys. Photos to come someday...
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2010 2:58 pm    

Contact Jason Lollar.