| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amps and Accessories for LapSteel
Tom Franke

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2010 10:10 am    

I've decided to take the plunge into an amplified instrument after 45+ years of playing acoustic guitar and more recently dobro. That steel sound has got me and there's no getting loose, so. . .

I think I'll start with a lap steel, and I've read a whole lot of good information here (thanks!). But as a purely acoustic player to this point, what do I need in addition to the lap steel guitar itself? I will only be playing in my music room for a while, or at most among friends who play acoustics. I suppose at some point I might play in a benefit concert at a church or school, but I don't envision being with an amplified band any time soon.

So, for my purposes will a guitar practice amp do the trick? Do I need any effects? Will I need a volume pedal? Anything else I will need to make the plunge a satisfying one?
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2010 10:27 am    

Tom,

I'm sure you will get a lot of advice. Here is what I finally settled on:

I plug into a Podx3 Live and then from the Pod into a Tech21 Power Engine or directly into the laptop for recording.

The pod gives you all the effects you'd want and it has a built in volume pedal that can also be used as a wah pedal. It is a pretty light rig, easy to transport and set up, and you can plug headphones into the Pod if you want to practice without disturbing anyone.
James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2010 10:45 am    

Tom,
I imagine you have heard one or two of my recordings here on the Forum. I am in much the same position as you, play for my own pleasure, so I don't require a "Stage" amp. I have used a volume pedal with my Pedal Steel, but never used one, or felt the need with a Lap Steel.

There are several small "Boutique" amps on the market which can emulate other more famous Valve amps, I use the Vox Valvetronix and I have a 15, and 30 Watt amp, each of which puts out a punch much bigger than their size would suggest. Apart from this range of emulations, they have a range of effects built in which saves you the expense of buying a whole range of pedals such as Reverb, Delay, Tremelo, Compression etc. you have it all in the one package. I bought these cheaply on Fleabay from local sellers and was able to go try them first, neither amp had even been out of the bedroom.

Listen to the amp here. :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63lTi2Cka7Y

James.

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2010 12:11 pm    

If you can stand my meanderings, here is what my rig sounds like http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=182753

Remember, this was recorded with no amp or preamp. Just the Pod.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2010 1:03 pm    

You'll need an amplifier and a cord to connect the guitar to the amplifier. I assume you already have the steel bar and picks; if not, consider buying them. Smile

There are plenty of very good inexpensive bedroom amps being made currently. I think the Vox DA-5 and Roland MicroCube are two strong contenders.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend you start with a volume pedal. I wish I hadn't - it distracted me from controlling my volume manually.
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2010 5:17 pm    

I agree with Brad. The MicroCube sounds surprisingly good, and by all accounts the DA-5 is even better. As a bonus, either includes all the basic effects that you might want.

If you intend to play your lap steel like a dobro you can just use the same bar, although I prefer a 3/4" bullet nose bar for lap steel.
Tom Franke

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 5:01 am    

Thanks for the great recommendations. I enjoyed both of the musical samples, and you both get a nice sound out of your set ups. I haven't gotten into recording beyond a little Tascam just for practice purposes, but I'm sure I'll get into it down the road.

I had read the discussions on the board about the various lap steel models when low and behold Curt Langston's Allen Melbert 8 string appeared in the for sale section. It will be heading my way, and I think it is a better choice for me than the cheapy Chinese imports, although some people are having good luck with them. 8 strings sounds like two too many to an old acoustic player, but I'm sure I'll learn.

I'll get an amp ordered, and walla! off to the races.

Additional comments to this thread are certainly welcome.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 5:24 am    

I recommend that you just have fun.
Michael Elzey

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 8:52 am    

AS stated, there's a lot of decent amps that will get the job done. being a regular guitar player for 35+ years i've been through many amps and like the sound of tube amps over digital or solid state for the most part.

ther are some exceptions tho. the clean channel of the roland cube 30x works pretty good. i think the fx are a little weak tho. I use pedal fx delay reverb and a little compression and its great for practice.

there's lots of EL84 based tube amps you can get into for cheap today. Most 5 to 18 watters will do fine. I just got my daughter a 5 watt epiphone and i was supprised the sound and output the amp had. the best way is to take your guitar and go to the music store and play some amps.
good luck