| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recipe for Twin Reverb set up for steel ?
Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 10:25 am    

I think the stock sound is great on my Silverface Twin -- But here's what I'd like to know -- other than setting the bias for the tubes to run cleaner at higher volumes, and speaker swaps, are there other things to do for this amp if it is to run specifically as a steel amp. This is a no -mv '71 that has previously been blackfaced. It seems that the speaker baffle board is a big piece of particle board -- anything to be gained by swapping that out for plywood baffle ?
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 11:39 am    

I have something similar and I sent it to Ken Fox. He did a minor tone tweak to it for steel and also reconfigured the normal channel to have reverb. That made the amp for flexible if you also play guitar. I've heard the wood change on the baffle board makes a difference, but I have no experience with this. I run mine with a JBL K-130 and I like it a lot.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2010 2:14 pm    

That tone tweak is what I'm looking for. I'm not a tech but was hoping to get this info for when I bring the amp in. Ya got to have reverb on both sides ! I don't know why they didn't do that in the first place. Also as much as I love Fender vibrato, I've always had problems with it not sounding as good as you want it to. It'll have added ticks or the depth is not as much as you'd think it oughta be. Is there a common fix for that ? Certainly JBL's would be the best tone tweak for it. -- I already had a Twin with JBL's - same ole story- got rid of it because of the weight- that was before I started playing steel. Neo 12's sound good enough in it (maybe not as good as the JBL's) but the amp is quite a bit easier to carry.

Last edited by Jeff Keyton on 19 Nov 2010 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 7:53 am    

Jeff,
I know my tech changed the value of the slope resistor. Not sure what value he subbed in. Dr. Z did a couple of mods to the trem circuit for me too. So somebody will know. But those "roach" trems will never come close to sounding as great as the tube vibrate-oh in my brown Super.
Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 9:13 am    

Slope Resistor ? Now we're getting closer. Anybody got values on that or more info ?

John, I realize that about the Vibrato compared to the earlier style, though, I just want it to work and sound up to it's potential.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 9:26 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=160074&highlight=slope

As far as the trem, I think Dr Z just put a part or two in parallel with the original parts
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 9:38 am    

Changing the vibrato channel preamp tube to a 5751 will help the clean headroom.

If you mod to get reverb on both channels, then you can have a "guitar" channel (Normal) with the 12AX7 and a "steel" channel with the 5751, and seperate EQ on each channel of course.

BTW I have two TRs, one each with plywood baffle and particle board, and I slightly prefer the particle board for steel and the plywood for guitar. I do hear a difference but either works for me.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 9:42 am    

Scott,
I have verb on both channels, but do just the opposite. Steel goes in the normal channel, and guitars, Tele and Baritone go into the channel with vibrate-oh!. Gotta have vibrate-oh! for the 6 stringers. Don't need it for steel. My "Twin" started life as a Quad Reverb.
Jeff Keyton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2010 1:02 pm    

Scott, thanks for the info and John thanks for the link to that earlier topic. Looks like I'll mod with that pre amp tube switch and just use the knobs. I'll think I'll not worry about the baffle board.

To quote John, from the other topic,

"Now I can go out and mow the grass." Maybe we'll come up with an internet abbreviation for that --

NICGOAMTG