| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Rattle
Paul Foster

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2010 10:55 am    

HI fellow pickers
HELP!!
I have a Sho-Bud Pro 3 modified to a single neck I think its about a 75 and I have horrible string rattle and I cannot find the cause, I had a set of Machined rollers made and that did not help almost impossible to play in the first several frets, they dont seem to rattle when played in the open position but when I put the bar down it really is noisy, cant plat it, I just bought it a couple of months ago I sent it back once and was told it was fixed but it was not I cant afford the shipping to keep sending it back, Suggestions Please!!!! Sad Sad Smile Smile Smile
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2010 11:33 am    

Sounds like uneven string height at the nut. Didn't you have some gauged rollers made for this guitar? If they were made specifically for the string gauges you use then they should be even. My Sho-Bud Professional buzzes just a tad near the nut but just a little more bar pressure eliminates the problem.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2010 7:54 am    

Couple of thoughts...

Roller(s) were installed in wrong positions or string gauges don't match the rollers.

Limestone .New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2010 11:07 am    

I have had this problem on 2 steels, The first one I never found the answer to and sold it, On this one (and I know you dont want to hear this) I completely dismantled the thing and replaced the rivets in the fingers with new solid steel rivets.
A friend has a similar shobud but managed to replace the fingers from the C6th neck he does not use.
As they get older they seem to wear these rivets on the most used strings and its right where the things rest and hinge against the body or pivot block I would call it.
If these rivet joints are loose and shaky its a good indication for me to look more serious at it.
I really hope this is not the case with yours because its a lot of work but it does almost make a new guitar out of it.....
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 2:37 am    

In many cases, time has not been taken to "form" the heavier-gaged strings over the rollers. If you indeed have a set of gaged rollers, but don't form them to conform to the abrupt bend over the rollers, yes, the strings will "ride a bit high" and cause the rattle you describe. There just isn't enough lateral tension on those big guys to make them conform to the rollers all by themselves, gaged or not. This should solve the rattle problem...after the string is brought up to pitch, push downward on it on both sides of the roller with your thumb and index finger. You'll discover that the pitch has dropped off considerably. Re-tune and do it again, and again, until there is no drop in pitch...works every time, and eliminates that rattle.
PRR
bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 3:31 am    

Go here www.mullenguitars.com/guitar-tips.htm for a visual re what Paul is saying.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2010 3:55 am    

If you wind the strings that are rattling backwards on the tuning peg (under instead of over) that will put more pressure on the rollers and usually takes care of the problem.

Paul Franklin, SR, when I asked why my Franklin did not have gauged rollers, related the string rattling problem on Sho-Buds and that after a lot of experimentation he found gauged rollers were the cause. He found one size (gauge) roller that when used on all the strings cured the problem. For that reason he decided not to use gauged rollers on his Franklin guitars. Paul told me what gauge he settled on but I don't remember.
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 4:20 am    

I might be oversimplifing the solution, but I had a similar problem with my Remington Steelmaster. It turned out to be a too light tone bar. When I swithched to a heavier BJS tone bar, The problem was solved.

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 6:46 am    

One gauge for all the rollers sounds interesting. There seems to be one problem with that though. The way I see it is that one gauge might work fine against string buzz, but since all the strings are different gauges, there seems no way that the strings will end up on the same level and you get string buzz against the bar, especially at fret #1.

I believe that the solution to this is to do what Martin Weenick does: Mount each roller on its own arm and make these arms height adjustable from underneath.
Then you know for sure that the strings are level.
Paul Foster

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2010 4:34 am     String Rattle Sold It!!!

please CLOSE THREAD, SOLD IT,, STRING RATTLE WENT WITH IT AT NO EXTRA CHARGE thanks TO ALL THAT REPLIED