| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Robinson's bar
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 6:14 pm    

What is that bar Billy Robinson uses in the Mike Ihde video included with the 333 book? He slants it and flips it around like crazy on the neck of his lap steel guitar and makes incredible sounds pulling strings with his fingers behind the bar, giving his guitar a pedal like effect that's hard to believe. When asked about his bar, he does not really answers Mike but he tells him it's made of a special material but not much.

So, does anyone know about this white bar?

Thanks to all,

Alain-Yves PIGEON

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2010 6:55 am    

I believe that is one of the original zirconia bars. There was a limited number made way back when,,,they are now doing another production run of them. However,,,I don't think the exceptional talent Billy displays with the bar has anything to do with the composition of the bar,,,,he could probably sound as good if he used a beer bottle,,,(well,,,almost!!!) The man has talent falling off of him,,,,he is also a very prominent artist (painter).

http://www.billyrobinson.net/
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2010 2:19 pm     Billy"s Bar

I made this zirconia bar for Billy years ago. It tickled me when he first got it because he was not familiar with the material and thought he needed to have the flat end with a concave groove or dip to allow him to use his thumb for his slants. As soon as he tried it the first time, he was convinced that the bar did not need to be machined the same as the steel bars. I told him that this material was "flesh friendly" and would not slip like the steel bars even when your hand would be damp. This is a solid piece of zirconia and is almost as heavy as the well known bars. Glad to see they are being made again.
Bill Stafford
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2010 3:58 pm    

Bill, where can we get this bar? I'd be interested in getting one as bar skipping is a problem I know and that I'd like to get rid of. Do I understand that you created this bar? Is it made on a lathe or if you melt the material in a mold? I don't know what is zirconia.

Thanks for the info.

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2010 4:09 pm    

...and obviously, this steeler has a very good control on his bar. I think this is proof this bar stays well in hand. I just wonder who's the steeler? Could it be Dan Dugmore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQ7zhxZsyY&feature=related

ayp

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2010 5:52 pm     Bar

Alain-Yves, contact Mr Ed Packard here on the forum. Ed is the "inventor" of this bar. The material is from the same formular that the zirconia diamond is made of. It is formed in a mold and has to be machined with computer controlled lathes that have the diamond cutting capability. Ed Packard can tell you all the details about that. I was just lucky enough to have been with him at a very high tech factory/lab that worked with this material and I was allowed to use some of their machines to finish that first batch. They are being made again there in Colorado and Ed can get you the info you need to order. Highly recommend them.
Bill Stafford