| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  deleted
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 6:53 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael J Pfeifer on 15 Apr 2010 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 7:01 am    

Maybe he added them after the book was written.
Chad Karnitz

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 7:14 am    

Perhaps a private email to Tommy would have been the best way to handle this...
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 8:19 am    

Earl Scruggs instructional book that I believe was written by Bill Keith, had typos and mistakes. That book was worth every penny, and then some. Sure was better than noffin.........
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 8:24 am    

While some of the tabbed materials I've seen seem to be relatively typo-free, the larger the book, the larger the job of proof-reading and editing, and the more mistakes can show up during the printing process. I've seen things like whole lines of tab entered on the wrong string, pedals and knees incorrectly labeled, etc. on tab from Hughey and Emmons among others.
Some Tab includes knee lever setups that are unusual or personal, and if they're written in the tab as "RKL" for example, may require you to translate to your own setup as you play, either mentally or on paper.
Except in a few cases, it's easy to figure out and correct any mistakes in the tab, and play it as the author desired.

I respectfully suggest that rather than being handed a roadmap to simply copying recorded works, with a little application tabbed music can be a wellspring for your own creativity and understanding of the instrument's capabilities. It takes some thought and effort!
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 9:21 am    

I find it hard to believe that Tommy's book is of little use to anyone interested in furthering their understanding and developing their technique on the pedal steel guitar, but to each their own.

Perhaps you would be better served to list it on ebay or craigslist rather than posting here in such a manner.

JMHO...
Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 10:16 am    

Hi Michael,

If you are talking about the tab book to Tommy's instrumental Cd, I have it, too. I've been working with it for a couple of years.

My take is completely different.

I found the tab book and all the information it contains to be absolutely revelatory. In my 20 years of on and off again playing it has been, to me, the most interesting, challenging, and ultimately rewarding purchase of its type that I have made.

Even if you do not have some of Tommy's changes, I firmly believe that there is a lifetime of material and things to learn from the tab and from playing & listening to the CD.

Please, please, temper your initial disappointment for just a little while and give the book another shot.

Personally, I have guitars that do not have several of the moves that Tommy uses and I still can play much of what the tab offers.... yes, you'll have to find alternatives to some things, but once you get past that disappointment you should look at it as an opportunity to add your own expression - or at least try and find another way to approximate what is being played. I found the going tough at times too, there are some crazy moves here, but it is SO worth persevering! I firmly believe that what you get in return is directly in proportion to the effort you put into something....

I would also add and admit that because of Tommy's playing on this CD (and from watching his wonderful video with Lloyd Green) that my most recently purchased guitar does have most of the changes that Tommy uses. I find his playing to be among the most inspiring of all the great young players that are out there and this book has helped expand my interest and abilities (such as they are) as much as any teaching aid that I've ever had.

The tab book itself to me is an outstanding achievement - it is surely one of the most complex undertakings out there. I was thrilled that someone even attempted to tackle it. Does it contain mistakes? Maybe a couple here and there but on the whole I've found it to be absolutely superb and worth every last penny of it's price.

I would think that most of us here agree that TW"s playing is of the highest technical level and is of a relatively sophisticated nature. No matter how good the tab book is, I think there should be a reasonable expectation from most players that it's going to be tough work to duplicate what Tommy has laid down on the CD and that it's going to take some serious study and hard work.

Michael, I know you were initially disappointed - but stick with it and give it another shot - the rewards are there for you.

Best regards and best of luck,

Matt Elsen
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 10:23 am    

I don't know Tommy personally but have known of him ever since Scotty introduced him at an ISGC several yrs. ago(sorry Tommy,didn't mean to tell your age,hee,hee)but I'm sure if he knew about the things you speak of he would have made adjustments in another published article.And he may still do that,I don't know.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 11:55 am    

Chad Karnitz wrote:
Perhaps a private email to Tommy would have been the best way to handle this...

Absolutely.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 12:19 pm     just my opinion

I have know Tommy White for many years, and have purchased several guitars from Tommy.Instead of complaining about his pulls,you might want to re-think your setup
Tommy has no pulls that Paul Franklin,Mike Johnson and other professional players use,however they might be stacked in a different format.
Tommy is one of the most honest and dedicated steel guitarist you will ever meet.and to my way of thinking the most inavative player to ever sit behind a steel guitar
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 12:26 pm     A note to Tommy White

I revised the note to Tommy. Thanks for your input fellas.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 1:14 pm    

I'd love to get a shot at this somewhat "suspect" tablature! Where might I find it?

KP
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 5:44 pm    

Ask Tommy,bet he knows!!!
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 6:22 pm     A note to Tommy White

Dan,

I have experimented with different pulls and set ups.I pride myself on playing a standard Nashville set up 8/5. Anybody could sound good with eleven pedals and nine knee levers!I am not changing to Tommy's,Paul's or anybody else's set up. Thanks anyway.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 6:58 pm    

FWIW, Tommy's E9 set-up is pretty standard. 5 knee's and 4 floor pedals. Just drop those B's to A. This needs to be where you can mix it up with the B pedal and 6th string whole lower.

And it's much better to have the 6 string whole lower separated from the 1st string whole tone raise and the second string 1/2 raise. This combo closes up a whole lot of territory. I know these changes are considered standard by most builders. But I can't think of one super player that uses this combo.

Tommy raises 1 and 2 on pedal 4. And has the 7th string 1/2 tone raise on with the knee that lowers 2 down a 1/2 then a whole. And the 9th string 1/2 lower. Hope this helps.
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 7:14 pm    

Dear Michael,
I apologize for my late reply. From what the other posts read, I understand you are not satisfied with your purchase of my tab companion book.
My tab book is correct to the CD I recorded 'By Request", as I edited the book myself. I will also apologize for not explaining to you that the tab book is for the intermediate to advanced steel guitarists and is intended for those with time to discover a more indepth way of studying the modern pedal steel guitar and the melodies recorded on my CD.
I will be glad to refund the total price of my tab book including shipping to you if shipped back to me within 30 days from today.
By the way, my wife, secretary, bookkeeper and my self have scoured the past 10 years of records and have found no complaints by emails, posts on forums, letters from you or anyone else.
To return your purchase for refund and shipping, simply send it to,
Tommy White
125 Woodvale drive
Hendersonville ,TN. 37075
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2010 9:07 pm    

Quote:
Anybody could sound good with eleven pedals and nine knee levers!

This quote reminded me of the time "One Way Flight" played a concert in a rather small Church near Booneville, AR. I had just had wrist surgery and my son was our guitar player and was tearing down for me and my D10 was upside down in the case when the town Constable came up and exclaimed, "well, I thought he was doing all that playing, but it has all them there pedals and thangs under it"! My quick thinking son offered to let him take it for a test drive. Smile

I just now saw this for the first time and don't fully know what it is about but I would like to state that I have known Tommy for many years since his days playing with the Whites. I consider him a friend, an all around good guy and a fabulous steel guitar player. (Vast understatement!)