| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music Theory/scales
Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 5:17 am    

Hello
I have been doing some reading on scales but get part of the way through and then realise I know nothing I Quote""

extensions, a dominant scale and therefore a 13th scale rather than a 6th scale. In proper music theory terminology, the 6th chord would belong to the Maj7 scale found elsewhere on the Steel neck in the V6 scale fret-box . But to retain the common thinking of 6th tuning representing a 6th chord that our brains are branded with already, this lesson will do the same as far as a 6th chord goes, ....while still recognizing that the co-located scale is actually a dominant 7 / 13th scale; and the Major7 scale which is actually proper for use with the term "6th" extension chord, is located elsewhere on the Steel neck in the Maj7 / V6 scale position"
A small section of some reading...
recreational use How much dose one need to learn..

Are standard guitar scales the same for steel C6 ( at least I now know what C6 is after all that reading..)) Up till now when learning to play keyboard I leaned what the note's where white black. what keys for chords most music notations..
I know what a scale is BUT I dident know what chords where made up of or why..
So the basic question is how much do I need to know
I wish I had not bunked off school that day or paid attention while i was there..
I did read part of a discusion that I think was kinda saying who cares what note im playing something like that..But this is not the same
as I am a why? what for? and how ????
kinda person
Thank you Regards
Paul
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 6:38 am    

Instead of learning every bit of theoretical nomen-
clature AS OF NOW,get into basic harmony by function
...1,3 & 5 form a triad ; flatten the 3 and there´s
a minor chord...count the diatonic steps of the
scale to find why the chords are called by these
names...a C 6 chord is called a C 6 because of the
inclusion of the 6th note of the C scale...when You
crack the enigma behind it,it´s rather straight-
forward,and it´s FUN...McUtsi
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 6:49 am    

How much do you need to know? I guess it depends on what you want to do. I find that a basic grasp of chords and scales helps most when playing with others or figuring out songs on your own.

A C major scale uses the same notes on a steel guitar as on a piano or a bassoon. The G chord is made of the same notes regardless of what instrument you use to play it. Knowing the connection between the I, IV and V chords in a song opens you up to hundreds, perhaps thousands of combinations.

There are many excellent resources out there for learning the basics of music theory. How deep you want to get into it is up to you.
Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 9:23 am    

I agree with Brad.

The excerpt you cited is overly technical and academic in its wording. Many writers will explain concepts and details in a way that's much easier to follow.

IMO you will want to learn about scales: their construction, the chords they engender and typical chord progressions. Much will vary depending on the style of the music. Typically one needs to know the major scale, the related modes (esp. mixolydian, dorian and aeolian), the major and minor pentatonic scales and the major and minor blues scales. If you get into jazz, add such as the ascending melodic minor, harmonic minor, diminished and whole tone scales. Beyond that are other exotic and colorful scales which you may or may not have need for.

Good luck with this stuff--once you learn it you get to spend the rest of your life getting to know and use it better and better. That's the fun of it!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 10:17 am    

I think the thread I started on Harmony and Chord Theory explained it pretty well from the ground up without too much esoterica, especially the first 2 pages. Have a look for yourself: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=179027

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 1:59 pm    

Thank you ever so much
Mike Brad McUtsi. I dident want it to sound that I dident want to be bothered to learn..I took laptop to bed last night (sad I know)but i was still reading at 4am but when looking back it started off with where muisc started from and I just wondered was there any need to know all this..
I did a silly thing reading it all at once cause at the end I had read too much to digest although a lot of it did sink in 1.3.5.ect..
Mike Neer post link I will print it off tomorrow and go over and over it and as surgested by all the replys may be simplier wording as in the link might be better way to go..Every one has mentioned the word FUN..it dosent seem that way at the moment...
but when I come across something I dont understand I hope no one minds but I will ask on here..
The good new's is the playing is coming along SLOWLY
but still fighting with the blocking...
Thank you all once again for taking the btime to answer me and ive taken on board all that has been said thank you...Regards Paul
Phillip Dokes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 5:36 pm    

I also had information overload when i started and got kind of discouraged about it. But then i realized, it's not a race, take it bit by bit and learn that and move on. A great video or a great teacher is very helpful as well. Reading about a triad and trying to figure out how the notes relate and then seeing someone do it...it's a lot less intimidating that's for sure. I found myself at the beginning just playing the video straight thru, not really stopping to ponder about every little new thing, just get familiar with the material and before you know it, after a couple of repeats (no one picks up things the first time)things will really start clicking for you, a whole lot of "OHHHHH, i get it now's" to come.

It's the hardest thing, but it truly is the journey and not the destination. Enjoy the ride!
Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 5:02 am    

Thanks for the advice Philip..
I carnt realy explain how I feel..I play loads of keyboard.ok only stuff I like and most of the time I know..but all I have learned is what finger position to use, regarding chords..it was only the other day I realised when playing a chord I dident actually know what notes I was playing and had to stop to work it out..and then learning the steel every thing I read says you need to know scales..Yea I can play all the scales on a piano.but pick up the steel, I havent got a clue..so something is missing,
Ill take my time as you say and hope i get there
Thanks Regards Paul
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 2:16 pm    

As you're in the UK, I'd like to recommend the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) books on music theory. These are the textbooks which music pupils are given to learn theory and the book I grew up on. I had to do Grade 5 music theory exam in order to go beyond Grade 4 violin. I really didn't want to do the exam but rules is rules.

There used to be 1 little red book, but they've now split it into 2 parts, 1 pink and 1 blue.

I can't tell you how much the book have helped me. It set the foundation for all my musical pursuits for the last 30+ years. The ABRSM books are well worth the £5 or so each and are clearly laid out and easy to understand. Essential reading!

They're available at most music shop or amazon Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AB-Guide-Music-Theory-Vol/dp/1854724460/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270677533&sr=1-1

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 4:57 pm    

With regard to reading about and into music theory......sure, it can get way over your head and then there is "overload".....but I find that somewhere along the line, whether it's sooner or later......you remember something that didn't quite make sense to you, and it comes to mind through playing, or discussion or reading......only now it falls into place and is understandable....

So reading all of this theory that is confusing at first....has it's purpose and rewards.....
Mark Daniels

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 11:18 am    

Yup, I agree.

I've given lessons in the past and the challenge as a teacher is to get the info across in a way that the student can understand. If the student doesn't understand it, then it's up to the teacher to change tack and try a different way of explaining the same info.

If anyone feels frustrated or alienated by music theory then they should try another teacher or another source of info.

Music theory is an enjoyable subject to study and not the complicated language that some people think is!!