| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Basic C-6th Scale Patterns: Lesson #14
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2010 7:54 am    

Sometimes there’s no time to use pedals or knee levers. This week’s lesson is on playing scales on just two strings with no pedals or knee levers.

The notes of the major scale are available on strings 5-4 - up and down the fretboard.

First diagram: CM7 Scale on strings 5-4 > picked in a 3 Note Pattern > Ascending up the fretboard.
Second diagram: CM7 Scale on strings 5-4 > picked in a 3 Note Pattern > Descending down the fretboard.

Play over CM7 Chord:

(C-6th – No Pedals - No Knee Levers)

Next is the Dm7th Scale > 7th to 17th fret.

First diagram: Dm7 Scale on strings 5-4 > picked in a 3 Note Pattern > Ascending up the fretboard.
Second diagram: Dm7 Scale on strings 5-4 > picked in a 3 Note Pattern > Descending down the fretboard.

Play over Dm7 & G7 Chord:

***If we transpose the Dm7th Scale Pattern down 2 frets we have a Cm7th Scale Pattern which sounds the notes of an F7th Chord***

Here is a pattern using the notes of the Gm7 Scale from the 5th string G at the 0 fret up to the 4th string Bb at the 13th fret. The Gm7th Scale sounds the notes of a C7 Chord.

First diagram: Notes of a Gm7 Scale on strings 5-4 > picked in a 3 Note Pattern > 0 to 13th fret.
Second diagram: Notes of a Gm7 Scale on stings 5-4 > picked in a 3 Note Pattern > 13th to 0 fret.

Play over C7 Chord:

Tip of the Week: These same patterns are available on strings 4-3 with the knee lever that lowers the 3rd string C to B. The CM7 Scale Pattern would start on the 3rd fret, the Dm7 Scale Pattern on the 5th fret and the Gm7 Scale Pattern on the 0 or 12th fret. Keep in mind you don’t have to start a scale on the root of the scale. You can start and end a scale pattern on any note of the scale. The only rule is that it sounds good. We will be studying how to resolve scale runs when we begin applying these basic scale patterns to the IIm – V7 – I chord progression.

Last edited by robert kramer on 7 Apr 2010 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 6:38 am    

Once again thank you Robert! Your posts are reminiscent of some of the Wohlfahrt Violin studies that my teacher Dale Bruning once prescribed for me when I was a young jazz guitar student....only for PSG! Invaluable! I hope you consider publishing your complete series someday. I think you have something really timely and important here!
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 8:31 am    

Thanks Rick Schmidt for checking in. I will look for the Wohlfahrt Violin Series. I use these scale patterns to work from scale/theory books - adapting those methods to C-6th. Two of the best Jamey Abersold books are Volume 26 “Scale Syllabus” and Volume 3 “The II-V-I Progression.” Both of these books include CD's with the exercises played back on piano and saxophone. Thanks for the idea of a complete scale pattern series - I do have plans, in the future, to work up a basic C-6th scale pattern book with scale patterns, II-V-I’s, I-VI-II-V chord progressions, blues lines and additional improvisation examples diagrammed and played back on steel. The opportunity to post lessons on the Forum is helping me to organize these scale pattern lessons and helping me organize the time I spend in the woodshed.