| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  (My) Coral Isle/s (?) info/lyrics - w/old film & steel
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 11:31 am    

Not familiar with this brief background tune or who the steeler might be - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfiTmks7BMA
To see vintage Hilo Hattie for even just seconds is awesome!

Anybody got a clue about this one? Nothing came up on google.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 12:26 pm    

Looks like they took the song "Coral Isle" by Dick McIntyre and added it to some stock tourist footage. I see postcards with these images on eBay all the time.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 12:58 pm     Thanx, Brad!

Adding McIntire to the title brings up a google mention of Ray Kinney having recorded this as well.
I'll be searching for copies.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 8:55 pm    

I am positive that is RAY KINNEY on vocal. Of course the film is a separate entity itself with the music probably dubbed in at a later date.

The setting is where the KODAK HULA SHOW used to perform at oceanside not too far from the Natatorium many years ago. It was later moved to Kapiolani Park. I recall seeing planted palm trees in the new setting and they were being supported by wires. KODAK just had to have palm trees for the "effect". Lots of film sold in those days!
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2010 9:28 pm    

George is completely correct on the setting and location. While living in Hawaii, I have visited this spot often when the Kodak Hula Show was being presented.

The music is dubbed in to the video. As George says, it is Ray Kinney and I believe Bobby Nichols is on the Hawaiian Steel Guitar.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 6:39 am    

I received this information in an email:
Quote:
The song "Coral Isle" on Steel Without Pedals is by Ray Kinney and his Hawaiians. The steel player is Tommy Castro, Kinney's regular player. My record of it is a 78 Decca x 1900 listed in my 1942 catalog - "Hawaiian Love" is on the reverse. I haven't yet joined up to the forum. I turned 91 last March and started playing in 1936. I'm still playing. I am a member of HSGA and Basil Henrique's Aloha Dream.
Regards,

Jim Carter

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 6:52 am    

DON...It could well be BOBBY NICHOLS. Sometimes difficult to determine as both Dick McIntire, (note the spelling...no "y") and Bobby had similar styles during that wonderful era when Hawaiian music reigned the airwaves, and at times, similar tone. However, I'm somewhat inclined to think it was Dick playing, (not Bobby) as Dick and Ray made a pile of recordings together, mostly on MacGregor (16") transcriptions supplied to radio stations throughout the US and Canada. Bobby usually played steel with Lani McIntire's Hawaiians. I'm not overly certain if Lani and Ray ever collaborated on recording sessions...(?)

Whoops...I see Brad and Jim have done some investigating...Tommy Castro. Interesting !

Anyway, guess what? I have a pic of HILO HATTIE planting a big kiss on my forehead. I never showered for months after that Laughing Laughing
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2010 2:05 pm    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
I received this information in an email:
Quote:
The song "Coral Isle" on Steel Without Pedals is by Ray Kinney and his Hawaiians. The steel player is Tommy Castro, Kinney's regular player. My record of it is a 78 Decca x 1900 listed in my 1942 catalog - "Hawaiian Love" is on the reverse. I haven't yet joined up to the forum. I turned 91 last March and started playing in 1936. I'm still playing. I am a member of HSGA and Basil Henrique's Aloha Dream.
Regards,

Jim Carter
Ha! Someone who plays steel and is older than Keoki! Razz
Jim, if you're reading this, thank you, and Brad. I hope you do join the forum. Insights from the glory day's of steel are getting harder to come by and your pov will be most welcome, and it'd be great if we could hear your style of playing!

I was inclined to say the steeler was Dick, but will run with Castro even tho it's not what I'm used to hearing from him.
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 9:17 pm    

That intro is really misleading. I Googled this and found a free listen to the whole song on Yahoo Music. Sounds like Tommy Castro to me.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 9:55 am    

Thanx for the tip, Dave. I see it's available on the Hotter In Hawaii comp., which I have.