| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  11 year check on my new heart ...Micky Byrne
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 6:16 am    

Just like to inform some of you forumites that I had my 11 year check up last thursday and friday at Harefield hospital on the outskirts of North West London. My new heart which was transplanted on March 9th 1999 is still ticking fine and I'm still able to gig. I actually had a gig on the wednesday night and had to get my gear home and drive through the night to the hospital, and needless to say I was very tired. I had an Angiogram on the friday, and the Coronary arteries in my new heart are doing well. I don't know how things are in the States, but over here, some people carry donor cards. This enables people like me who was dying from major heart trouble just over 11 years ago to be saved by somebody's death.
In Spain the rule is different. On all deaths organs are automatically used to save people unless the relatives refuse.

I'm not sure if I am just one of a handfull of steel players gigging with a new heart? perhaps someone can tell me.

I wish you all well,

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 6:23 am    

Glad to hear everything is well.Look after yourself and keep on picking.Regards Malcolm
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 7:17 am    

Hi Micky,
Glad to hear that you are doing so well. It is simply miraculous that someone else's heart works in your body. The world is full of wonders.

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada all that info is written into the magnetic strip on your drivers license. If there is anything usable from this old body, they are welcome to it.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 7:44 am    

Right on, Micky! As always, my best to you.

Richard
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 8:04 am    

Congratulations, Micky!

In the U.S. it will vary by state. In Ohio we denote organ donor on the driver's license. It may also be encoded in the barcode, but I'm not sure about that.

Rest assured my organ donor box is checked. We have a very dear, young friend with Cistic Fibrosis who recently received a a double lung transplant.
Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 9:02 am    

Micky...

glad I hear you are okay.... it's about time you jump in the plain and visit the our country.... where beer and steaks hanging on the trees and all the girl are nice!!!!!! Very Happy
and with some luck... you find a good jamming band!!!
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 9:06 am    

Good news Micky.
Jerry
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 9:20 am    

Weldone matey, thanks for letting us know you are doing well, Steady with the 'Martial arts' now!
Talk soon mickey, god bless! Smile

West Mifflin Pa.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 9:48 am    

Micky,Glad to hear all is well with the new ticker.In Pennsylvania, we check a box on our drivers license application,then organ donor is written under your picture on the license.Been a donor since the program started.Bob

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 9:58 am    

All my beat to you Micky. My friend's daughter had a heart transplant about 5 months ago when she was only 19 years old. She is doing very well. Here is Andrea and her dad Tim.

Russ
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 10:36 am    

Micky,
You are an inspiration to us all.
You are a pretty good steel player too Very Happy
I am really pleased that Your check up went well.
Keep sending those interesting E mails Very Happy
Best regards
Billy
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 12:02 pm    

Thanks to all who have replied. Andy I have played in Zurich years ago at the Hershen music bar...think it's been pulled down years ago, was one of the best gigs of my life. The Swiss are great audiences. Billy what e'mails?? Very Happy Russ give Andrea my e'mail via my website home page, If there's anyway I can help I will. I know all the do's and dont's post transplant. All the meds do have side effects and I can explain...but in a way not to upset her but help her.

Cheers,

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 3:54 pm    

Micky thats good news mate, glad to hear your tests went fine ... my brother is a kidney transplant recipient so I have a rough idea what you have to contend with, only 10 fold probably !
As Billy said your an inspiration - so keep on pickin, and keep on tickin !!! :-}

Love ya mate
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 5:46 pm    

Hey Micky. I remember when you posted this last year at 10 years. It is just amazing and as a liver transplant of two years I look to you as an example. I met a male nurse at a golf course and I even mentioned you, tho not by name.
He said if people really understood what it means, they would all be doners.

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 6:28 pm    

Hey Mickey

Glad to hear you are doing well. With all of the negative we hear today it is great to have some positive news. But then again, I can tell you are a positive kinda guy.

I have not had an organ transplant but I am 3 months on my 2nd hip at only 43 years old. So glad to hear things are going well for you!

Shane

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 7:19 pm    

Here is to many many more.
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 12:10 am    

Once again to all who have posted and some who may post after this entry, the main thing is to have a 100% positive attitude after any surgery. Sure, this was a biggie for me all those years ago, but I could have just sat indoors feeling sorry for myself, but I didn't. Within 5 months I moved house, and 2 months later I was pickin' in a travelling band. I just wanted to play again no matter what. Take care.

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk

Carter and Sho-Bud universals
Nashville 400 and Evans Fet 500 Lv amps BJS bar
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 7:24 am    

Hey Mickey, I'm so glad you're still doing great after eleven years, that's really a wonderful thing! Are you still able to participate in the Martial Arts world, I know you held a black belt in Karate or one of the others! I've known you for a while now through the internet and the SGF and am very happy for you. Do you think you'll ever get over here to "The Colonies" for a visit? It'd be great to meet you in person.........JH in Va.

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 12:15 pm    

Hi Jerry, good to hear from you. Yes I am still a 3rd Degree (We call them Dan in UK) black belt in a street oriented Karate which is more street defence rather then Dojo/club scenerios, but I stopped teaching some time ago, and just do occasional training with one of my first students on a 1 to 1 basis. Hope you're still doing lots of work with your BMI S-12 Smile Re visiting? never say never...only get one life, 2 in my case Very Happy Take care, and thanks for signing in.

Micky Byrne U.K.
Tony Smart

Harlow. Essex. England
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 2:54 pm    

Mick, had a new heart
Because he was very sick
Glad to hear everything's ok
Now we know what makes you tick

Best Wishes
Tony
Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 3:09 pm    

Thanks Tony, I've been in Grays now for some years and just a short drive to you. Any time you want me to come and jam like the old days of me you and Bob Haskell...give me a holler.

Micky Byrne U.K.
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 3:39 pm     Mickey's Eleventh Birthday /Celebration There-of

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Whoa! Whoa!

Mickey, my friend, happy Birthday, man; so glad you are still ticking [ A Little Pun ]. We are really proud of you for all you have been thru.. The Good Lord has definitely been there for you thru this whole ordeal. Did you send a note to Kim ? Her new hubby isn't doing so well; right now he is going thru another session of Chemo and a long drawn out episode of Radiation on the large tumor on his hip. We still keep him in our prayers praying for a major Miracle to come his way.. Again, Mickey, congratulations on your great news..Bernie Whoa! Rolling Eyes
Whoa! Very Happy Laughing

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 5:17 pm    

Micky, glad you are doing great with your heart.
I didn't have a transplant, but had a stint and 2
angioplasty's 16 months ago. Everything fine so far.
Thanks for the Pictures for my Wall of Steels. Larry
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Greece
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 11:22 pm    

Hallo Micky !
That is surely great news for you, we go back a long time, keep on pickin' and continue in good health.
Your mate in Corfu
Frank. Corfu
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2010 2:27 am     Yeah Man

Keep on truckin', Micky. For us heart problematic steel players, you are a poster child. Keep on playing. steve t