| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Issue with G# string on Carter
Jay Kardong

Seattle, Washington
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 2:49 pm    

Hey Friends,

I just pulled my Carter out of its case after about a year of playing my Rittenberry exclusively, and put on a new set of strings.

Thing is, the G# string will not go into tune. I adjust the G#, then the A, but when I go to the RKL, I cannot get the F# for the life of me. In fact, I turn the nylon nut so much it's begun to "twist", but still is not close to being in tune.

The second I start to tune the F#, the G# and A go way out as well. I pulled the G# off, and threw new string on, just in case, backed everything off, and am getting the same results.

Any thoughts on what the issue may be?

Jay
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 3:01 pm    

Jay,

this may be sort of obvious but worth a shot:

Is it a plain or wound string? If wound, you're probably having to turn the tuning nut too far to get the string to lower that far, thus detuning the string at the changer. Just a thought.

Dan
Jay Kardong

Seattle, Washington
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 4:00 pm    

Hey Dan,

Actually, great thought. It is a non-wound string though.

Jay
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 7:17 pm    

Hi Jay,

On your 6th string G#, there should be three pull rods. Two are in the Raise portion, and one is in the Lower portion.

That 6th string, splits the tuning with the B Pedal, when the B Pedal is pushed down.

On that 6th string, back each of the three nylons, all the way back until none of them are touching the changer.

Now tune the 6th string open with the Key Heads for a G#.

Now Tune the Raise to A with the Nylon tuning nut, that is the second nylon down (of the two raise nylons) with the B Pedal down.

Next, hold the B Pedal down, and (also) activate the knee lever that Lowers that string, and tune the result to a "G" Note using the nylon for the Lower Pull (with kneee lever and B Pedal depressed).

Next, release both, and then using only the knee lever lower, adjust that G# string down to the F# note using the TOP Raise Pull Nylon.

That should solve your tuning issue.

Let us know how you made out. It's possible there is a mark on the end of that last nylon, either in RED or BLACK. That would be located in the upper Raise Pull. "That's the one you adjust for your Lowest Lower, which would be F#"

Hope that helps........ Don
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 9:02 am    

If it worked properly when you put it away, it may be a friction issue with the changer fingers. I recently picked up a guitar which had been stored for years not being played and had a similar problem with a raise that kept going flat after 10 or 15 minutes of playing. I looked close at the changer and found that the lower side was actually partially engaging although I was engaging a raise. I couldn't tune both until I lubed the fingers on the axle and it started working right. Strange but true.
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 9:29 am    

Brian,

That's not strange at all. Most problems with pedal steels, can be traced to simply a lack of proper lubrication, which causes overtightening of the return springs, etc.

You did good to figure that out and correct it before you ruined the fingers and axle.

I'd rather buy a pedal steel that hasn't been a closet guitar, but rather, a played daily steel.....
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 2:40 pm    

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you using the same gauge string that you used before. The reason I ask is, I have a Carter with the split tuning setup like yours, and I bought some strings that had a.020 for the G# and I normally use a .022. I had all kinds of problems getting stuff in tune. When I realized I had a thinner string on there, I put the gauge I normally use on, and everything came right together.

Just for my education, does a thinner string (take my example) take a longer or shorter travel to make the same full tone lower?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 31 Mar 2010 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay Kardong

Seattle, Washington
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 2:43 pm    

Hey Richard,

Yeah, I actually made sure of that as I'd run into that problem before. I originally thought that was the issue.

I'm going to print out the advice above and give it a try when I get home this evening, hopefully I can get it back.

J
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 2:56 pm    

The first thing I would do is make sure you have enough slack in the rods. When I first put the split on my Carter, I didn't have enough slack on the second raise rod (to tune the final F#) and had plenty of aggravating problems. But seeing as how your guitar worked fine before storing it, it may just be a lube problem. Until about 3 or 4 years ago when I started playing again, my Carter was not used more than maybe 2 hours a year as I was in retirement for at least 8 years. I took the Carter out and it played like the day I first got it, which makes me skeptical about it being a lube problem. But, it never hurts to lube her up.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 3:59 pm    

Thinner string = longer throw
remember the 3rd string requires much more throw on the B pedal to raise than the 6th.

For a wound string
Thinner core = longer throw
Jay Kardong

Seattle, Washington
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2010 7:00 pm    

Hey all, forgot to update the forum with the results. I lubed up everything (didn't really need it, but what the heck).

I then followed Mr. Browns advice and it worked like a charm!! So simple, I'm so glad I didn't "force" anything when I was getting frustrated.

Thanks so much for the help. I love the forum for all the helpful folks here.

Best
Jay
Don Brown, Sr.

New Jersey
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2010 4:16 am    

Hi Jay,

Glad to know it all worked out for you and you're back in business. Smile