| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Info About Julian Tharpe 14 String Tuning
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 10:35 am    

The 14 string single neck Sho-Bud that I have just purchased is blond with 8 on the floor, 4 knees and an up lever that is not connected. When I finally set this thing up I decided that I don't think I will be able to handle it. It definitely is not a Fender 400. Does anyone have any info on Julian's set-up including tuning? I do know one thing, if I can't play this thing a little, it will be for sale. I'm too old to cart around a seventy pound steel guitar. It definitely has some history and hopefully some of Julian's licks are still on it.
p.s. The Jimmy Bryant/Buddy Emmons cd is still available either through me, Ebay or CD/Baby. The 'It's the First Time' cd will be available in two weeks.
Thanks, Dave A. Burley
Dave
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 2:51 pm    

Dave, I used to know the set-up in my head. But I do remember that both Sho-Buds that Julian owned had 10 pedals and 6 knee levers. The first guitar was red and black, the second was a burgundy. Sho-Bud built four others. A matching red and black for Barbara Mandrell, a solid blue for Cope McDaniel, another burgundy for Chic Beakly and a blue and natural for me. Barbara's is in the San Francisco area. I traded mine to Bob Simmons in 77 or 78 for a PP Emmons. I have no idea where the others are. I would bet Chic still has his. I would love to find mine again. BTW, how do I order the CDs you now have available?

Johnny
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 3:15 pm    

Here is the tuning I got from Boogie Sherrard. Boogie was a huge Julian fan and told me this tuning was on a Sho-Bud 14 that he borrowed for a while and/or considered buying from Johnny Cox back when.

This is from '74 and matches Julian's tuning as listed in Winnie's book. Hope this helps. JO.
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 5:44 pm     14 string steel

Thanks Johnny and Jerry for your help. The steel that I have is a beautiful birds eye maple green on the front and blonde maple on the top. I think that there might have been more pedals than what are on it right now. A musician in Muskegon told me that this is the one that Julian played when I brought him to Muskegon in the seventies. I really don't remember and he could be mistaken. The cd, Jimmy Bryant/Buddy Emmons, is available through me for 17.00 at Dave A. Burley, P.O. Box 211 Franklin, In 46131. Thanks guy's. Dave
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 8:00 pm    

I wonder if Dave's green one could be Johnny's blue one that has faded to green over the years.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 8:45 pm    

Earnest Bovine rote:

Here is Julian Tharpe's tuning from a January 1973 Barbara Mandrell Show at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood CA.
He told me it was his first gig with the new guitar, a Wright Custom with 2 rows of pedals. I think he said that just before he got this guitar, he had played a similar tuning with 12 strings, but I don't know which 12 those were. The new strings might be 1 and 2 (G and E) strings.

He used mostly pedals 9 and 11 (or 8 and 10), your basic country pedals.

He used both right knee levers a lot. Also he liked LKL and LKV2, to play (for example on the open strings) progressions such as Cm7, B7-5, Bb with some very low bass notes. During Barbara's show, he seemed to enjoy repeatedly demonstrating to the bass player that with pedal 6, the low string is lower than the bass guitar. This was before 5-string basses and Hip Shot bass extenders.

Also he used quite a bit of LKR. This would be like having a knee lever to lower the 4th string E to D natural on your basic E9, which gives you some cool sounds.

A couple of years later, when he toured with the Dickie Betts band, he played a Sho-Bud with a very similar tuning, only a half step lower (E instead of F) I believe. We shared a several shows with that band in October-November 1974 but I couldn't hear anything that Julian was playing because the band was so loud.
Tab:

LKV1 LKV2          3 |   5      7    9      11|   13
  LKL         LKR  1  2   |4      6    8     10    |12    14  15 RKL RKR
                          |                        |
G                         |         -1             |          +1
E                         |         -1             |
A                         |               +1       |
F             -2     -1   |                        |
C                         |+2 -1              +2 +2|   +2
A                 -1    -1|            +1 +1       |   +2
F     +1                  |                        |              -1 +2
D     +1                  |                        |                 +1
C                         |   -1                   |-1    -1
A                       -1|                        |   
F                         |      +1                |
D                 -1      |                        |          -1
C -2      -1              |                        |
F                         |      -3                |

I see that pedal 12 and 14 are the same. This must be a mistake.

Barbara played one tune on a tall Sho-Bud D-10 that she played standing up. She used only two pedals, and used them together like one pedal. She had a wonderful touch and feel and I loved her playing.
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2010 10:56 pm    

Dave, I'll bet that's my guitar. The laqeur on those Sho-Buds always turned Blue to Green after a few years. I'd love to see a photo of it.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 4:10 am    

This note was just posted at YouTube beneath the Tharpe-Emmons video I posted a few months ago:

omg, i can't believe i actually found julian tharpe playing!!!! he is awesome, i knew him as a kid, my dad, Johnny Temple owns julians 14string JET show bud. Julian taught him how to play. There will NEVER be another Julian or even close. He was out of this world on that steel!!
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 7:43 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
This note was just posted at YouTube beneath the Tharpe-Emmons video I posted a few months ago:

omg, i can't believe i actually found julian tharpe playing!!!! he is awesome, i knew him as a kid, my dad, Johnny Temple owns julians 14string JET show bud. Julian taught him how to play. There will NEVER be another Julian or even close. He was out of this world on that steel!!

Jim. Post a link to the video please. I must have lost it. Can't find it on Ytube.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 8:03 am    

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92tYOrRvuds&feature=email
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 10:07 am    

Thanks.
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2010 7:54 pm     14 string PSA

Johnny, This could be your old guitar and possibly was played by Julian at that Jamfest recording in Muskegon in 1976. The guitar has been sitting, unplayed, in Michigan for the last twenty years. I bought it hoping to play. It but when I got it set up I quickly changed my mind. I am considering selling it on Ebay and I will try to get a picture of it posted here on the forum tomorrow. Thanks so much for all the info. The Forum is awesome. Dave A. Burley