| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons on the Opry
Donna Sherrard Williams

Louisville, Ky.
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 10:26 pm    

WOW it's SO good to see mine and Dad's hero on here !!! He has been so missed.... and I will be sure and print out this picture for Dad.... thank you for posting Ernie and if you get a chance... tell him Boogie said Hi and misses him Smile Thank you!
I have attached a few pictures from around 1988 where Dad and I were honored to pick and sing with Buddy... that day was PRICELESS :)the quality of the photos is 1988 but I'm proud to have been there and wanted to share Smile
Boogie and Buddy
Boogie Donna Big E
Donna Fred Scroggins Big E
Boog Glen Phillips Big E
Dad, Daughter, OUR HERO Smile

Last edited by Donna Sherrard Williams on 21 Mar 2010 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2010 10:49 pm    

Talk about aging gracefully! Buddy looks like he's having a good time and there is a twinkle in his eyes like a kid has. Little Jimmy looks good too! I'd love to hear them play together now.

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 12:27 am    

So you all know, Steve sent the pictures to Buddy and he sent them on to me to post. Winking

BTW: Donna, I saved your pictures. If you don't mind, I'd like to add them to the Other People's pictures of Buddy section on the website. PLMK...

www.BuddyEmmons.com
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 4:29 am    

That is great and well deserved. I sure would be interested to hear what Little Jimmy Dickens had to say about Buddy Emmons.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 6:25 am    

Here's hoping the dark night is ending and the sun shines through to a bright, new morning. Luvya, Big E!
Herbster

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 8:44 am    

That is so cool.
Thanks Ernie
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 12:26 pm    

awww, ain't buddy lookin' good! we lovya dewd. bruce & lynn
Donna Sherrard Williams

Louisville, Ky.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 1:52 pm    

Absolutely Ernie!! Dad and I will be honored Smile Emmons is THE MAN Smile
Corky Anderson

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 6:14 pm    

Man!, this is Soooo good to see! Very Happy
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 7:31 pm    

I had the distinct pleasure to visit with Buddy Emmons and Steve Fishell last night at the Grand Ole Opry. Thanks to Steve Fishell, it was a very special evening for all of us there, from Opry management, extending to the audience. Buddy has so many friends and fans, it was impossible for him to take a step without a handshake or camera flash. Buddy looked great, was sharp as a tack and so kind to everyone. Still master and gentleman.
Again, thanks to Steve Fishell, who is a great player and gentleman himself, for prompting Buddy to visit and also for his kindness.
Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 8:04 pm    

Emotionally, the picture of Buddy walking offstage hit me the hardest. One can only imagine what was going through his mind right then. Jimmy brought him to the Opry in 1955 and here we are 55 years later Jimmy is at it again. As for me, I can only look back through all those years and say "Job well done, Buddy".

Louisville, Ky.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2010 8:35 pm    

well said Tommy... Buddy is the ultimate... and we are all so happy and proud to see him on here... as well as our Kentucky born Hero, our Steelmeister Tommy, standing by his side at the Opry Smile Hugs
Robert Brown

West Mifflin Pa.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 2:01 am    

Hooray, for all of us through your photos, to see this special moment in time. To see these two living legands on stage together again, sure brings a tear to these old eyes.Lets hope for a new begining,instead of an ending.Hopefully a great book from Mr.Fishell and Mr.Emmons also.

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 5:37 am    

You all should know that Tommy White served as Buddy Emmons' impromptu host and ambassador Friday evening. He went out of his way to make Buddy comfortable backstage plus Tommy positioned Buddy in the "Artists Only" area in the wings so that he could better see and hear Little Jimmy Dickens' portion of the Grand Ole Opry. Thank you so much Tommy for being such a selfless gentleman, a master musician and a class act.

Being backstage at the Opry with Buddy Emmons is like being backstage at a rock concert with Keith Richards. Buddy's star obviously shines in our steel guitar community, but it was very humbling to see that he shines even brighter within the country music community-at-large. People were giddy in his presence. Pam Tillis seemed visibly thrilled that Buddy was in the house, and her manager Matt Spicher (Buddy Spicher's son) was excited to shake Buddy's hand. Right after the photo of Ricky Skaggs, myself and Buddy was taken, Ricky leaned over and said "send me a copy of that, will you?" Marty Stuart came back from his dressing room to find Buddy onstage and say good night before leaving the building. "A" team session guitarist Jimmy Capps summed up everyone's feelings at one point when he grinned at Buddy and said, "I bow to thee."

It struck me how much respect and appreciation the Opry shows to all of the legends who have given so much of themselves to country music. Although his visit was a spontaneous surprise, Buddy was shown so much respect Friday night. You felt it everywhere and it was very, very humbling to witness. Trust me, Buddy received his “props” from everyone from the guard at the gate to the audience that cheered so loudly for him when he took his bow.

None of this would have happened if not for the kindness and generosity of Little Jimmy Dickens. It began when he agreed to be interviewed about Buddy’s tenure in his “Country Boys” band in 1955-56. The men are like family towards one another, and Little Jimmy really rolled out the red carpet for Friday night’s reunion. He could not possibly have been any nicer or more giving with his time. Everything that happened onstage was spontaneous and unplanned, and to see Buddy under the spotlight was a surprise beyond words. The crowd went crazy, and you can see in the photos that everyone on stage did too. It was a night to remember. Thank you Mr. Dickens.

Special thanks also to Pete Fisher at the Opry and to Tutti Westbrook at Brad Paisley’s management office for helping to make this moment happen. Thanks again to Tommy White for being such a great host. But thanks most of all to Buddy Emmons for making so many people very happy last Friday night.

Steve Fishell
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 5:49 am    

I'd pay to see a video of that!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 6:16 am    

Steve
Thanks for your efforts, and for your most excellent and eloquent post. And I'd like to add one comment.

Making people happy and moving their spirits upward has been what Buddy has always been about, most especially this community of ours.
Herb

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 7:00 am    

This touches me so much. Right there is a symbol of what our music is about. These guys built the house!

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 10:27 am    

Clyde and Herb: Boy, you guys have hit that old nail right on the head !! This has been the best news I've seen on the Forum in quite awhile. I can echo all the sentiments expressed so far in this thread...it is what this Forum is all about !!

Regards, Paul

BTW: This thread is hardly 24 hours old and with 42 comments and +3200 hits..that tells us something about the greatness he has become to all of us !!
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 4:14 pm     Buddy Emmons ' King Of The Steel Guitar Forum

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes

tHANK YOU FELLOW FORUMITES FOR SHARING THIS GRAND TRIBUTE TO A MAN WHOM DESERVES THIS KIND OF HONOR.. WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN TO THE ' OPRY ' LAST FRIDAY NITE; SEEING BUDDY WOULD HAVE BEEN WORTH THE PRICE OF THE TICKETS,ALONE.. GOOD LUCK TO YOU, BUDDY, IN YOUR RETIREMENT..GOD BLESS YOU..BERNIE Whoa! Whoa! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Louisville, Ky.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2010 7:48 pm    

Ernie... there are a couple more with the Big E playing at the Derby City Steelers... I have them under the Steel Players Page- subtitle-Boogies Babies... Thanks again for wanting to post them on Buddy's Site... what an honor Very Happy
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2010 7:09 am    

First of all WOW!

Those pics will make some REALLY nice desktop backgrounds for your computers folks!
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2010 7:36 am    

I've already 'set' the one of Buddy walking on stage as my 'background', Greg - great pics indeed!
Roger Light

Sheldon, IL
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2010 7:48 am    

WSM Online archives from 3.19.10 go to 44:13 to hear Little Jim's introduction of Buddy Emmons
http://www.wsmonline.com/audio_archives.htm
This is so cool. Wish we all could have been there! Very Happy
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2010 10:29 am     Buddy

Buddy We have been Friends For A Long time Don't get to see Each Other Often But Hope To See you This Summer Your Still No.One. SONNY.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2010 5:04 pm    

Jimmy Dickens words were short and sweet. Buddy did revolutionize the pedal steel guitar. I am like so many others here that I am amazed what Buddy Emmons has accomplished. I personally believe the Good Lord put him here for the purpose he has accomplished. I still look forward anytime I get to see Buddy play.