| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie question about pedal height adjustment
Gary Philips

New York, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 4:39 am    

So, I just purchased a Carter S-10 DB from another forum member -- I'm brand new to PSG. Set it up fine (it seems), everything working as expected, but I noticed at first that the A pedal was significantly higher (off the floor) than the B pedal or C pedal (talking about an inch or so). After some tinkering I found I could adjust the pedal heights with the little screw piece at the bottom of the rod, but my question is -- is there a standard or accepted way that pedals should be set up? All the same level, any one higher than the others?
The guitar was converted from Day to Emmons setup before it was shipped to me, so I'm also wondering if the seemingly weird pedal heights may have been a result of the conversion.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as I said -- I've been on the PSG for a whole 2 days now!
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 5:26 am    

You may want to keep pedal A higher than B as a common (the most) lick is:
mash pedal B with the ball of the left foot and rock the rest of the same foot onto pedal A right after plucking strings 5, 4, and 3. You may also want to have both pedals A and B mashed with same foot and rock off from pedal B only. Having A pedal higher than B pedal makes this easier.
Pedal height is adjusted primarily relating to how much travel they must make (the longer, the higher)and wether you will need to actuate two adjacent pedals at the same time.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 6:19 am    

I keep the "A" pedal a little higher to make it easier to push that pedal without pushing the "B" pedal. I think quite a few people set up their guitars that way.

Lee, from South Texas
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 7:40 am    

There is a problem having the A pedal much higher than the B pedal. The problem is when I rock off the A pedal onto the B pedal I have the tendency to still slightly engage the A pedal. I have even gone to the extreme on some pedal steels of hacking off the corner of the A pedal so I wouldn't hang up on it. The early Sho~Buds even came that way.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 8:02 am    

Click Here
Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 8:31 am     Pedal Adjustment

I don't get to excited if a pedal is a little higher than the next pedal, I just like for all the pedals to bottom out at close to the same distance from the floor and be high enough from the floor to compensate for a deep carpet.

I do like the (day setup) far left pedal to bottom a bit higher than the B pedal, due to the longer reach with my left leg.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Gary Philips

New York, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 10:32 am    

Thanks guys. Huge help.
Reed Ohrbom

Hemet, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2010 1:05 am     A & B Pedal Heights

Gary; Great question !! I was wondering the same thing myself. I'm pretty new myself, and am still working on getting my steels adjusted to fit me.

Somewhere in another post I read that your PSG should "fit you like an old glove". Got me stoked to start tinkering with the pedals, knee levers, leg height, seat height, etc.