| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Comment on Bobbe's news letter.
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 11:41 am    

Bobbe sure hit the nail on the head. When i first moved to Nashville in 1964 i believe it was I was suprised the local people didn't even know about the opry. There was a lady i had grown up with in west Tx.who had married a guy form Nashville and was living there. The locals i met coulden't tell you where the grand ole opry was held and i was quite surprised the locals did not care for country music.
If i remember my Nashville history the locals did not want the opry held there in the first place.

Many of the down town bars had what was then called go go dancers. Nothing to do with this,but the reason i didn't stay long was i did not like working the one nighters on the road. I did two recording sessions there and it was by chance only as i was avaiable.(In between road jobs.) Tracy
Tracy
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 1:25 pm    

I may be drinkin' too much Geritol, but after the Opry moved to the new house, weren't they gonna tear down the Ryman, which had history back before the Civil War???
Bruce Deamude

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 2:42 pm    

Years back when I was a corporate pilot, we had a layover in Nashville and was quite surprised to find I couldn't get TNN on the hotel TV.
Bruce.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 2:51 pm    

Probably related to the fact that most New Yorkers have never been to the top of the Empire State Building or been to the Statue of Liberty. I've lived here for 25 years and never been to top of the Empire State building and only went to the Statue of Liberty once when some out of town guests showed up.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 2:59 pm    

Alan,
Here is a link to a pretty good rundown of the Ryman from day one til now. Nothing mentioned of tearing it down, if so maybe just not mentioned. Click on history.

Bill

http://www.ryman.com/
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 6:01 pm    

Hi Bill...after I posted that I made myself curious. Here is a piece of an article I found....
Once again in 1974, the Grand Ole Opry outgrew the 2,362 seat venue and moved across town to the Opryland USA Theme Park. The Ryman Auditorium sat primarily vacant for decades except for being the scene in a few movies. In the early 90’s, it was slated for demolition and a fight ensued between those that wanted it demolished and those that wanted it preserved for historical reasons. The battle to save the Ryman auditorium is documented in newspaper editorials that adorn the walls on the second floor which gives a glimpse of the struggle that it took to save the building from destruction. In 2001, it was designated an historic landmark.

and a link to another that sez about the same thing...

http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/miscellaneous-retail-retail-stores-not/4662629-1.html

I was pretty sure I remembered sumthin' about it, but I don't think it got much publicity, as cities that are trying to do something sneeeeky, usually try to keep a low profile....Al
Brian Powell

sparta tenn
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 6:11 pm     Ryman

yep they were going to tear it down and make parking lot on the grounds what a mistake that would have been so much history on that ground and most people dont know or dont care . Mad
show pro SD 10 4/5 thomas SD10 3/4.2NV400. fender twin amp. evans fet500.proflex 2.boss super chorus ch-1 digitech digital delay.goodrich v/p elite pack seat.1962 fender tele.1961 kay guitar.epiphone mandolin .1945 0016 MARTIN.
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 7:16 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Probably related to the fact that most New Yorkers have never been to the top of the Empire State Building or been to the Statue of Liberty. I've lived here for 25 years and never been to top of the Empire State building and only went to the Statue of Liberty once when some out of town guests showed up.

Bill,i was in the USAF with a guy from NYC and he didn't remember ever seeing the empire state bldg.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 7:27 pm    

Bill if they still let people on the observation deck of the Empire State building you should go...On a clear day you can see New Jersey. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 7:44 pm    

Ha!

My first few months in New York, back in 1984, I went to the top of the World Trade Center. Never went to the top again, and rarely stepped foot in the complex. Never do that again. Maybe I'll just head on up to midtown one of these days. A friend is having a birthday soon. Perfect excuse.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 9:06 pm    

In the early 60's I was stationed in Illinois for a spell. Three or four of us would go together on gas and head for the Opry every now and then. This was before I shipped out to S.E. Asia. I remember standing in line outside in the heat in our uniforms. Lots of folks would speak to us.."hey soldier"...or "where ya from soldier" and occasionally someone would hand us a coke. It also happened that sometimes they would just let us in too. I remember how hot it was inside, and those horrible benches. After, we would stroll up and down the street and in and out of the clubs waiting for the Jamboree. We rarely bought a drink either, as someone was always picking up the tab. Now, I know these were probably not Nashville folks much, but it still is a nice memory.