| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG teacher in Tacoma, WA back in the 70s?
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 8:29 pm    

Back in 1970 or 71 I moved to Seattle area and started taking lessons on pedal steel guitar from a guy, whose name I have forgotten. I am hoping someone can help me put a name to this memory.

He taught at a music store south of Tacoma, very near the Army base; I think its Fort Lewis. He was probably in his 40s at the time, so he is possibly deceased by now; but I am very uncertain about his age. He smoked a pipe and played an MSA double 10. Through the store he promoted MSA steels, and I eventually bought one. He introduced me to Buddy Emmons' black album. He was very enthusiastic about playing steel guitar, and he taught me a lot of the old steel guitar standards; i.e., steel guitar rag, bud's bounce, the preacher, etc.

Does anyone from the northwest, or the MSA company remember who he was?
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 6:31 am    

Forumite Bill Bassett might know. He was taking lessons in that area around that time as well and may know who the local teachers were. Bill, y'out there?
Keith Root

Wilder, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 7:36 am    

May have been ,Lee Gillespie, He now lives in Cheyenne Wyo. He is a member of the forum.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 8:11 am     Could it have been Butch

Butch Cornwell lived in Tacoma and gave Steel Guitar lessons.

Wayne Franco
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 10:15 am    

I have a vague memory that his name was Lee. I'll send Lee Gillespie a PM. He could be the one. Thanks for the tip. I don't recall the name Butch at all.
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 10:33 am    

Butch Cornwell wasn't living around Tacoma that early. He moved to the area in the 80's. I started playing steel the first time around '73 and didn't know anyone teaching at the time and I lived in South Tacoma. Bill Bassett started a little earlier than me but I don't think he was taking lessons from anyone in Tacoma. I wish I'd known about someone teaching back then.

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 7:32 pm    

Keith: You were right. Lee Gillespie just emailed me. He's still playing some, but now he mainly plays dobro and lap steel, as the D-12 MSA and Twin are a bit too much to haul around.

It's amazing what the internet and this forum have brought about. I hadn't communicated with Lee since probably 1971 or 72.

Thanks. Paul
Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 9:08 pm    

Paul, you know, that is really neat that you hooked up with Lee. I had been watching this thread in hopes you would have a positive response; then VIOLA! I had a similar scenario unveil about two weeks ago if you don't mind me sharing.

I was in the ARMY stationed in Germany back in the 70's. We all lived in these old stone WWII German Lutwaffe Barracks. There was a sergeant by the name of Ronnie that just so happened to be the Steel Player at The Rod And Gun Club and had an beautiful all natural D19 ShoBud that he played through an old Fender Twin. Man what a sound he had!! The hook was set, but it would be nearly 14 years before I would see my aspirations realized.

Fast forward to 1997; I was trying to locate Ronnie to thank him for the inspiration he instilled and for giving me some solid musical direction. I scoured the internet without any success and even started a couple threads on the old forum inquiring about his whereabouts. Nothing but strikeouts.

About three weeks ago, I was reading something in the news suddenly realizing a name "Pfeilsten" in the article resembled that of Ronnies surname. All of a sudden Paul, it was the mother of epiphanies! Spelling his name wrong all those years, what a twit. Once the realization that "Pfeil" was pay dirt, I started a new Google search and within minutes I was visiting his website. I wrote him an email to establish contact and two days later, I got a call from Ronnie and for the first time in 33 years, I was able to convey my sentiments about his Steel playing and all the positive influences. What's neat is that he had no idea I became a Steel Guitarist let alone the inspirations he evoked; he told me he was honored that I attributed his playing that old ShoBud as the inspiration and influence which shaped my musical road so to speak.

You know Paul, I am a little biased because you live in Placerville. Not only do I love that town, but my sister and brother (David And Sandy Danz) in law live there too. David plays rhythm guitar and sings in several small groups in the area and also in Church. It would be great to introduce you both as he is an outstanding rhythm guitarist and a pleasure to work with. He is a good man with no excess baggage if you know what I mean. I know I have really digressed from your original topic and thread, but I felt compelled to share my similar experience with hopes of introducing you to David at some point if you are open to that. Take care.............. Steve
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 10:21 am    

Steve:

Enjoyed hearing your story. Please send me a private message with the contact info for David Danz. I am always interested in meeting local musicians who might appreciate steel guitar.

Lee Gillespie has now sent me several email with pictures of his instrument collection, and playing in various groups. He also sent me audio tracks of his recent playing. He is still a good picker at the age of 78. In fact, I am going to encourage him to post his playing on the forum. He seems genuinely thrilled that one of his former students remembered him.

Paul
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 5:09 am     Yup, That would have been Lee Gillespi

He helped me get started in 1972. Great guy.

What was the name of that little music store?...Not Monte Vista, Darn it, can't remember.

Country Dave, I'm pleased that you would recall that tid-bit. BTW, Ray Arthur came to visit me in Arizona a few weeks ago. Now if we can get together with Aaron, Jesse and oh yea, Eric has passed on.
We'd have us an Old Rose reunion.

BD
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 8:06 am    

Was he out at Bandstand Music in Lakewood? I'm still wondering how I missed out on knowing of him.
Bill, I'd be happy to fill in for Eric (Rick) if we could ever get that whole crew together in one spot. You guys had a real happening thing together especially considering everybody was about 21 years old. I know I was jealous as heck.

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 11:52 am    

I don't know if that's where he was but Monte Vista was the name of a guitar shop down on S Tacoma Way, mid late 70's.

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 12:28 am    

Does anyone recall "Farmers Music" south of Seattle?
A friend mentioned that name to me some years ago.

Roger
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 10:28 am    

Farmer's music was in Burien. I never did much business there.Around 72-73 I lived about 2 blocks from Monte Vista Guitar Shop in Tacoma. That was great place to do business. Benny Benedetti was the owner and wore his plaid polyesters and patent leather white shoes and belt. Looked like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack. Benny treated the working musician great and would sell things on time with no bank in the middle. He'd just keep a note book in his drawer and if you were short one month he'd tell you to just pay what you could stand and as long as you kept some kind of payment coming to him he was cool with it. In the early 80's he turned the store over to his son who still ran a good store, but wasn't free with the credit anymore. I don't think I ever saw a pedal steel there, but did find a '58 Martin 00-18 for a girl friend at the time for $185.00 around '74. I traded a D 28 for a '60 D 18 in 78 and just put the guitar in my case and went home with it. No paper, no tax. I still have that one.
I'm still curious to know where Lee was teahing and selling pedal steels. It's crazy that it was somewhere right in my backyard and slipped past me somehow.

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 10:00 am     Lee Gillespie

Hi one and all. Thank you Paul for your inquiry.
Yaa the "ole teach" is still kickin and pickin. The store where I taught at was the Lakewood Music, in the Lakewood Mall. I believe I started teaching there in later 69 thru 71. At one time I was teaching 70 students a week. I remember Paul and Bill and Wally Giffin taking lessons. Keith Root and I were involved with the first Steel guitar Society in the USA. Gosh it does an old teach's heart good to see some of his students go on and love music and the steel like I did and still do. We moved back to Cheyenne about 2 1/2 years ago and am playing for different events in the area. Thank you one and all again for your posts. Lee
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 5:30 pm    

Thanks for the info Lee. I do remember that store, but most likely from a couple of years after you had been there. I played guitar on a few gigs with Wally back then. He was playing a Wright I believe D 8 pedal steel. He's still picking alot, but has a nice D 10 Carter now.