| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  question about wilcox steel guitar
Willie Farris

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 7:59 pm    

hi does any body have any thing to say about wilcox steel guitars i would like to no a person wants to sell one i have herd some bad feed back on them what have you got to say thanks asap

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 4:52 am    

You can find bad feedback on any business if you look hard enough. I think anyone should purchase an instrument because they tried it, and fell in love with it. If it speaks to you senses, then buy it. If it don't, move on. You might date a girl based on the opinions of others, but are you going to marry her, before you find out for your self?
Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 6:26 am    

OK, Sorry about that.
I think the bad comments about Wilcox were made because someone expected to get a lot more that they paid for. I think that Chet is honestly trying to build the best steel possible, in a price range in which there is not a lot else to compare. From what I've seen, he's doing a pretty good job of it. It's not a Zum, or a Franklin, but your not paying the high price and getting at the end of a long waiting list either. The new Wilcox guitars are priced cheaper than most similar guitars sell for used. A used Wilcox can be had in the carter starter-maverick/project range or less. They are more guitar than either of those.
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 10:44 am    

never played one so i can't speak to the playablity of them but there is an Wilcox SD-10 in the for sale section of the forum now that looks really good

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
David Ingersoll

Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2010 8:35 am    

I have a Wilcox S-10 and I think it works great. Very Happy
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2010 3:42 am     Wilcox

Willie...I believe many of the negative comments concerned the early models which had various problems, from all reports the newer models are much improved. You may want to determine when the guitar was built before purchasing.
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2010 5:30 am    

As a former Wilcox owner - in fact, the previous owner to the one currently for sale - I agree with what's been posted. That SD-10 served me well for about 18 months. It wasn't the Mullen I have now but I didn't shell out nearly as much money so it's really quite linear. I did find the Wilcox far superior to the Carter Starter. Maybe the Carter I test drove could have been set up better but I wasn't impressed at all and I think the SD's have a better sound/tone than the just the single necks.

I got the used Wilcox for $100 cheaper than the Carter and put a lot of elbow grease into fixing it up and was actually able to increase the value, and legitimately so. I see Matt replaced the orginal case (which was in pretty tough shape) so you're getting a pretty good deal at $1100; this steel is certainly worthy of playing live gigs. My only complaint is that I once e-mailed Chet Wilcox with a question about an issue I was having and essentially was ignored. Again, you get what you pay for.

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2010 8:27 am     Wilcox

Well, I guess I will throw in some banter here as well. The Wilcox guitar certainly has come a long way in the five or so years that I have known Chet. I currently have a mica s-10 that I gig with regularly as well as recorded a demo with. I agree with Rick that they are gig worthy. Chet has always helped me if I had an issue,Rick may have had the wrong e-mail addy....I also will agree that if you buy a Wilcox and expect a Mullen..you are barking up the wrong tree. I have played several different brands and I keep coming back to the Wilcox. For the money you pay...it just can't be beat ! Right now a brand new SD-10 will cost you around 1500.00 bucks. I believe you have your choice of laquer or mica. I may be wrong,the laquer may be extra. Bottom line : it's a decent horn that will serve you well. It's hand built and solid. I would buy a new one if I had the cash to buy it. Building a steel guitar is very labor intensive,and Chet is selling you his labor for about 5 bucks and hour !

Central IL, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 4:54 pm    

I have never owned a Wilcox but my experience mirrors Rick's. I emailed Chet to inquire about a Wilcox for sale secondhand in my area last summer. There was no doubt as to whether Chet received my inquiries. He very quickly emailed back with prices and turnaround time on his new models, but then refused further commentary or info on the older Wilcox I had originally emailed about, even when given pics and a serial number.

This is in pretty stark relief to most steel builders I've been in touch with about their older guitars. It pretty much turned me off to the idea of buying a Wilcox, used or otherwise. I don't get the feeling that you can really count on much in the way of support after the sale, especially if you are buying the guitar secondhand.
Adam Hay

Amherstburg, ON, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 8:07 pm    

I had Chet build me a lacquer SD-10 last year. I have to say that he was really up front about the guitar and clearly stated that his machining was all done by him and primarily by hand. Therefore, it would not measure up to the CNC machined parts of other manufacturers. After I received the guitar, Chet answered all my questions via email on tweaking and setup. About 6 months in, I noticed there was strings buzzing within the first couple of frets. It turned out that a couple of rollers had been machined slightly out. Chet got those new rollers out to me in no time. The guitar now plays fantastic and has a classic sound with the True Tone pickup. I may buy another guitar in the future, but I will keep my Wilcox!

Adam

Illinois, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2010 8:10 am    

RD, i dont believe i have ever refused comment about any of my guitars past or present, I have always been up front about them.In fact i dont remember any conversation with you , email or otherwise.Chet.I dont know what condition soe of the oldere guitars are in, but i ake a video of every guitar before it leaves here and make sure they are in good shape.
Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2010 2:33 pm    

I live 30 minutes from Chet. I bought a guitar that he built just a few weeks ago. Its build 127 or 129.. dont remember. It was made in 2009.

I had a question so Chet & I spent time on the phone, and I went back over and he made a few adjustments for me. These weren't adjustments needed because there was a problem, they were because I needed levers and pedals moved to fit me better.
He also added a pull for me and did it on the spot!

Chets a good guy. He makes a good instrument!!!
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Ken Brower

North Haledon, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2010 7:55 pm    

I purchased a new S-10 with narrow arm pad from Chet in Nov 2006. Standard E9 3x4 with an George L E-66 PU, Steel #72 built in Oct 2006. I bought it (without playing it) after playing some poorly sounding Starters and Mavericks.

Great tone, stayed in tune, nice 'n easy pedal and lever action. I knew when I bought it, it was not a top-end instrument. Turning it over revealed the machine work and mechanics. Over time the hook on the B pedal rod snapped off due to metal being ground down too thin. I expected some issues.

After six months I found a used, unplayed, Wilcox D-10 and decided to buy it as an upgrade. It was packaged poorly by a UPS store and when it came the box was tore open, the case was broken open, there were scratches on the Mica from the legs and rods moving around, a tuner was snapped off, etc. While negotiating with UPS for the damages I set it up and played it. Quite different from the S-10. Really hard to play, harder to keep tuned, and mechanics of the string changers were rough. Craftsmanship was not like my S-10. The original owner stated that it was built in the 2004/2005 timeframe. Luckily for me UPS wanted it back. I lost $66.00 bucks on the deal but it was worth every cent. It confirmed to me that I wanted an S-12 over a D-10.

I needed to do some upgrades to the mechanics to the S-10 as well. I found the nut rollers were out of round like Adam posted. I had a machinist friend of mine make some military grade type precision rollers and other mods for different copedents. It played great, the strings were all level and playability improved. It was the instrument that allowed me to excel to the point of upgrading to a Fessy S-12.

The guy I sold the S-10 to really liked it and its playability as well. I’d buy it back today for my thirteen-year-old if I had the chance. I took my son to the CT convention in Nov and now he has the bug!I'd make shorter legs for it and modify the pedal rods so my little guy could really play it and grow into it.

As others stated, try to find the later models, 2006 and up. Despite the issues the Wilcox was good for me.

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2010 10:03 pm    

Adam, that is a beautiful guitar...

Db

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 7:56 am    

I have several Wilcox non pedal lap steel guitars. I like them and I like Chet. He is good people, down to earth, up front about his instruments and does not make any bones about them. You know what you get when you deal with him. He ain't no spring chicken, but it is good to see him still out there enjoying making steel guitars. I hope he continues.

That lacquer guitar is just beautiful!
Adam Hay

Amherstburg, ON, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 7:13 pm    

Thanks Damir. I'm really happy with it. Chet built me the guitar I wanted at a very affordable price and I don't mind tinkering around with it a bit. It really does look good, sound good, and play good! Chet is a really good guy who builds guitars strictly out of passion for the steel guitar.

Adam