| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  still tinkering with RKR
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2010 1:00 pm    

A while back I posted about my issues with my RKR lever. The main thing was that I don't want to pull through the half stop of the E9 neck to get the A to Bb on C6.

Doug Livinston said I should try tuning the C6 pulls up so that the half step lands on the half stop. This works better, except I have to tighten the ninth spring too much for my liking. Ans it's really tough to get two pulls on a half stop to be in tune.

The one thing that I can think of that would solve the problem would be a disengageable final stop for strings 4 and 8 of the back neck. I'd rather not get into that, but has anyone ever seen anything like it?

I know there is also the option of having two cross shafts with a lever, but that seems risky. I'm considering moving the E9 pulls to RKL but would rather not. Any suggestions?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 9:21 am    

I have a couple of guitars with separate right knee levers for the E9th and the C6th necks.
Bob Rains put it on my D-10 Rains and Bill Rudolph put it on my D-10 Williams.
I learned the trick from watching Herby Wallace play at a steel show. He was getting set to play a song on the C6th neck and he reached up under his guitar and pulled down another right knee lever.
The only maker that has this system beat is Eddie Fulawka.
He has a pair of knobs on the back of his guitars that engage a crossover system that switches the right knee levers from one neck to the other, sweet! Very Happy
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 9:01 pm    

I kept tinkering, and I can probably live with it. Getting all three pulls in tune at the half-stop is hard but it's working. It probably requires a little more regular maintenance.

I bet having that extra lever is ideal. Is there an extra crossshaft, or is there a divider like crossover mechanism?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 8:17 am    

No, there isn't an extra cross shaft.
The cross shaft is split with a couple of extra hanger brackets to support the ends.