| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steel/Fiddle/Guitar Rig setup ... mixer question
Leo Melanson

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 9:39 am    

I'm primarily a lead country player but have joined a band with another tele player and am going to play steel, keyboard, fiddle and guitar. To minimize the gear, I have steel, fiddle, keys and Tele (via POD) going from a small Behringer 1202FX mixer. I will feed that to house, and receive a mix back via in-ear monitors. I will also send signals out to my Nashville 400 via the Ctl Room sends. Anybody have something like this working? Problems? Suggestions?
I am hoping to keep stage vol low, but be able to hear and mix all the instruments on stage.

One strange problem I have encountered .. the mixer seems to be interrupting my volume pedal. When I add volume via my Goodrich pedal, the transition is smooth until I get to the top .. then wham .. it jumps up a few decibels quickly .. defeating the nice swell effect. Is this a problem with the mixer . does it have some compression built in? It does not happen when I go direct to my amp with the same length of cable. Any recommendations to overcome this .. with a compressor or steel driver or some other device. Thanks for the help for this newbie.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 10:57 am    

I used to do something similar with a Mackie mixer. I always ran the steel into the volume pedal and then to the mixer without any problems.
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2010 5:36 pm     Mixer issues

I experimented with Mixers for multi instrument gigs but continually found the mixers killed my steel tone.
I currently use a WOBO abc relay/looper system for 3 instuments - doesn't color the tone.
James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2010 9:45 pm    

Maybe could you use the TRS insert (if available on the mixer) for the volume pedal, in a similar fashion as a send/return loop on an amp?

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 1:46 pm    

Have had good luck with this.....
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/LS-2/
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 5:33 pm    

The mixer input impredance is too low to properly interface with a guitar, a steel, or a volume pedal. A fiddle witha piezo pickup would also have a problem with the lower input impedances found on most mixers.

The net effect is an apparent tone-sucking.

10k to 100k input impedance does not work very well with magnetic or piezo pickups.

Sam
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 3:36 am    

Quote:
The mixer input impredance is too low to properly interface with a guitar, a steel, or a volume pedal. A fiddle witha piezo pickup would also have a problem with the lower input impedances found on most mixers.

The net effect is an apparent tone-sucking.

Thanks... That explains the problem I ran into when trying to run a steel ( through a PODXT) an electric mandolin (passive pickup) and a banjo (passive pickup) into a Behringer mixer direct to the board.

Is there a solution? I need to be able to switch off from steel to mandolin and steel to banjo during the same song. The problem I run into is with the mix.

Great thread...

BobG
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 5:40 pm     multi instruments

I also have used the Boss LS-2 for years.
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 4:31 pm    

Essentially, you need an active buffer with hi-z on the instrument input (1 Meg approx) and low-Z on the output (<1k, <100 preferable).

Sam
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2010 5:30 pm    

As mentioned above, the behringer mixer was not intended to face a guitar pickup directly, for good results you really should have a discrete preamp between each instrument and the mixer inputs, such as a Furman or Audio Arts parametric EQ.
For even better results you might try a better quality mixer, even if behringer did copy the mackie design they built it with the cheapest parts available, the difference in sound and build quality is readily apparent....
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 8:57 am    

Art Tube Preamp. I know it is extra equipment to carry but they are cheap and soung good. Can change your signal from line to XLR and the board will not have a problem with it.

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2010 2:04 pm     ABC Switrch

Look for an ABC Switch It will give you 3 inputs and 1 output into your effects/amp. There are many devices that can do this but look for "true Bypass" that means you should not lose tone.
In my rack set up I use a WOBO midi looper with relays instead of switches that works with a Digitech GSP 1101. I have it set up so that you can map whatever instrument you are playing to a paricular patch. With one switch you can change instruments and simultanoeusly call up an entire different set of effects for that insrtument.Here's a link to that product: http://woboge.com/midi.html
Dave mentioned the LS-2 That is a cool pedal that has many uses. It can serve as an ABC switch as well. I use it when I'm using pedal effects.