| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage-One steel guitar, Excellent in every way!
Randy Wade

Batesville, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2010 5:05 pm    

I have been playing a Stage-One from Doug in Branson since Monday and have found it to be excellent in every way. The tone and playability and the pedal and knee lever action were even better than I expected. I have a Sho-Bud Pro II and a BMI double ten but wanted something light and easy to carry as a "grab and go" instrument for when jam sessions and casual jobs come up. It is a simple, sturdy, great sounding steel with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. I sent Doug the money on a Monday after our nice conversation on the phone and got it the next Monday by U.S. mail. I would recommend it to any beginner or advanced player.
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2010 6:45 pm    

I got mine last Saturday and couldn't be more satisfied. I played a (new at the time) Sho-Bud Professional for ten years until bitten by the banjo bug and lately I decided, after almost 30 years, to get another steel to fool around with. My Stage One looks, sounds and plays great. The only mishap occurred when I pushed the LKL past the stop- force of habit I guess, because the Sho-Bud required much more pressure. In fact, if I'm not careful I find myself accidentally pushing RKR when I'm working the volume pedal, the levers are that easy to accuate.

The only thing I might do is paint the pedal bar black to match the endcaps. The bare brushed metal is ok, but I think it would look cool if it was black.

I've been having a ball with my Stage One. For me, it was the right choice.
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2010 6:55 am    

These posts are great to read!
You see, I've had my Stage one for about two months now, and really like it a lot, but..It's my first pedal steel, soooo I'm always wondering how it compares to other steels in playability, 'ya know?
I certainly don't have the skills yet to push it to it's limits anyway, but always wonder how it compares to more "professional models".

Anyway..I'm another satisfied StageOne customer and I am positive I made a good choice for a first steel that should last me a long time.
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2010 9:39 am    

John, I'm sending you a PM right now.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 6:41 am    

Does the StageOne have a pull-release changer system?
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 7:57 am    

I too love my stage one...

Batesville, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2010 9:21 am    

Richard, it is a single finger set-up, adjustments are made with nylon hex tuners for all the raises, and the lowers are adjusted with an allen wrench screw. Theres no tuning with the pedals down like a maverick pull-release or a push-pull. On the strings that lower there is also a red nylon hex nut that keeps the string in mid position (lined up with the rest of the fingers), this is to accomodate raise and lower on the same string. These red ones are not to adjust the lowers or raises but just hold the string in mid position so you should not adjust them. It has welded bell cranks so theres no experimenting with tunings and such but the pedal and knee setup is exactly what I use anyway so it is great for me. The tone of this thing is very good, and I think part of the reason for that is the single finger changer.
Larz May

Indianapolis IN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 6:32 pm    

Greetings ALL!!!
I am new to the forum, I have just purchased a used ZUM/StageOne 3-3 (the decal is actually a ZUM, I think it was built before Doug bought the business) I cannot wait to get it. I plan on putting 4 adjustable legs and using my lift kit on it..and perhaps installing an E66. The E66 install will depend on what I hear of the stock pickup. I know there are more than a few old skool cats out there...but I am finding using a POD right into the house and using in-ears is GREAT!! and much lighter..
Roscoe Custom 6 Bass
PODXTLive/POD2.0
LoneStar SD-10 Keyless
Goodrich VP/6A SuperSustainer
Peterson iStrobe
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2010 7:18 pm    

A new student brought his new Stage One by today, and I'm very impressed. The places where corners have been cut are obvious but well implemented, it tunes well, plays well and most importantly sounds GREAT. Among other things, the knee levers all had totally solid stops and a great feel. Although a bit thinner and less rich than some pro guitars I've played, I thought the tone was clean, solid and eminently usable. Night and day difference over a Carter Starter. I'd be fine with using one on a pro gig, or even recording session.
I'm definitely recommending these to anybody looking for a very reasonable entry level steel.
Way to go on design and implementation.
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 2:28 pm     Stage One Rack & Pedal Mod

I painted the pedal rack black to match the end plates and put some rubber on the pedal surfaces to minimize slippage. I think it looks sweet!
I used Krylon Enamel Primer and Krylon Enamel Semi-Flat spray and cut the rubber from the rough side of a piece of Home Depot wall base.

Larz May

Indianapolis IN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 3:52 pm    

Once I get the newer pedal board and neck from Doug, I am sending them along with the pedals out to have them put a mirror finish on those parts using a buffing wheel and Jewelers Rouge. I have also used I believe either 5/8's or 3/4's PEX pipe from Home Depot and slid them over the knee levers...and WOW what a compression fit!!!! I then cut them to size and used a gloss black car laquer (4 coates) and now I have sweet round knee levers!!!

Will post pics when all is completed!!!!

BIG KUDOS to Doug and Bruce for making a really nice instrument!!!! and GREAT to deal with!!!
Roscoe Custom 6 Bass
PODXTLive/POD2.0
LoneStar SD-10 Keyless
Goodrich VP/6A SuperSustainer
Peterson iStrobe
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2010 4:06 pm    

richard burton wrote:
Does the StageOne have a pull-release changer system?

Yes!
I didn't know this until a neat old Zum appeared on ebay recently but the first 20 or so guitars that Bruce built were also pull release so he had some good experience with that system before designing the Stage One.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2010 4:11 am    

IMHO, there is no finer "student guitar" out there. And, IMHO, it out shines a lot of "pro guitars." I had a gig on lower Broad a while back, filling in for Randy Hess. My buddy Doug Jernigan was there for the 2pm gig playing when I got there. Another steel player I won't name was hanging, as well. I started building mine, and the "other guy" looked at it, and said, rather disdainfully, "Why would you want THAT?" I replied, "Because it's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played." He just shook his head and left.

When Doug finished, I asked him if he was in a hurry, or could he hang a few minutes; "I'd really like you to hear this." He didn't have to rush off, so he stayed. He sat and listened to me play a few things, and the look on his face... that startled, surprised look... he asked if he could try it. I got up, and he sat down and played. He looked at me, and said, "Mike, this sounds as good as my Zum! And it plays great!"

You can't go wrong with a Stage One. It'll handle any gig... except a C6 one.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2012 3:53 am     Stage One

A few weeks ago, I had a trip planned to Branson and I also needed a 2nd steel to leave at church. I contacted Doug Earnest ahead of time to be sure he could have a Stage One ready for me. Doug is a real stand up guy to deal with and he builds a quality product. I have owned a Zum for 20 years and I love it. I am not a pro by any means, but I looked at lots of used steels and after reading the reviews, I decided on the Stage One. I have played it for 2 weeks now, and I could not be happier. Is plays smooth, stays in tune and is light weight. I have received lots of compliments on the sound and the looks.Fantastic basic little steel for a second guitar or as a first steel.
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2012 5:14 am     Still Loving It

After re-reading my posts from 2 1/2 years ago I still can say I Love My Stage One! Adding some effects- Black Box, delay, chorus, reverb- has only added to the fun. No issues whatsoever. Good luck and have fun!
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 7:12 am    

I've just begun my journey on the pedal steel. I did a lot of research about various brands and models, and weighed the factors of buying something used vs. getting something new. I've been working my new Stage One pretty hard over the last 4 or 5 weeks and just love this sound. When I do something right, it works, when I don't, it lets me know. But as I get a handle on this instrument, the more I am understanding just how mechanically sound Doug builds these machines. Most importantly, I can feel my moves reflected smoothly through the parts, allowing for true expression. A friend of mine has another brand's "beginner model" with similar 3 pedal/ 4 lever set up, and it doesn't feel nearly this good. It's great to read reports from other guys and gals putting a good amount of time into their Stage Ones without mechanical issues.
-Dan
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 8:46 am    

I've had my Stage One for a year in September, and it is so nice to play. Incredibly lightweight and built with high quality. The fixed copedent isn't a major problem with me because I happen to like the copedent and it's what I would have anyway. But if I had one wish for it, it would be to add a LKV. Light weight and high quality for $949.00 brand new is a very tough act to follow.

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 8:59 am    

Doug does LKV.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 9:28 am    

Black Stage One. Perfect PSG for these lake gigs.
I'm sure your eyes are on my Stage One and how I'm one of those extreme raise the front of the PSG guys.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 9:41 am    

Are those legs adjustable Bo? Laughing Laughing Winking

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 9:49 am    

Hey Bo, my black Stage One didn't come with the same front as yours.

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 11:56 am    

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 6:22 pm    

I think Bo Legg's reached Stage Two.

Last edited by Daniel Policarpo on 29 Aug 2012 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 3:52 pm    

Can we get a LKV on it now, as an add on?
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 3:56 pm    

I would ask Doug...