| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new gig
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2005 3:56 am    

I've just taken Gary Lee Gimble's place with Jay Henley and the Stone Broke Band. Gary has moved on and was kind enough to recommend me for the gig (oy vey, talk about big shoes to fill!!!!). Anyone in the D.C., VA, MD, PA, Del area, please come on out anytime, I'd like to see you and yak steel with ya. You can find the schedule at http://www.jayhenley.com/ My picture isn't on the web site yet, I'm thinking they don't want to scare anyone away!
Richard Nelson

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2005 4:02 am    

Good luck with the gig Chris and great website. www.ricknelson.workzsites.com
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2005 4:20 am    

Good Luck. I looked at the pics on the site. A lot different than when I lived in Laurel and played in the area in the early 70's, including places such as the "Tin Dipper" in Beltsville which is probably gone.

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 09 March 2005 at 07:39 AM.]

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2005 7:29 am    

Hi Chris, Good Luck to you on your new gig, funny I have'nt heard about the "Tin Dipper" in a Looong time let alone Chick Halls Surf Club and all the clubs in Georgetown, anyway wishing you the best of luck with your new Band.

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2005 9:13 am    

Billy, Chick's is still there. They feature Chick's sons Chris and Chick Jr., I just played there a month or so ago. Chick Jr. is one of the best unsung pickers I've ever had the pleasure of pickin' with and I've picked with some of the best. I gotta admit though, I don't remember the Tin Dipper, I guess that's before my time. Sure 'perciate the good wishes!!!!

[This message was edited by Chris Forbes on 09 March 2005 at 09:14 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 3:46 am    

I crack me up, I just told someone that poor Jay Henley just went from prime rib to spam!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2005 4:36 am    

Jack, did you ever play the Tasty Diner in Laurel. Wasn't much of a place but it was fun. An old converted dining car.
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2005 3:54 am    

Ahhhhhhhhh, the Tastee Diner!! I've done that joint too many times. I don't think they have bands any more, but wow was that an odd joint.
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2005 5:40 am    

Ok, my info is now up on the website, fortunately, still no picture!!!!!!! Oh, and that's my stage name, so don't be surprised when you don't see Chris Forbes on the website. I'd also like to repeat my invitation to everyone to stop by at one of the gigs to yak a while.
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 5:23 pm    

Congrats Chris! At least someoneis working..Great performer..Saw him at the Steel Jam..
Hey Jack...I playes at The Tin Dipper and Upstairs in the Big Dipper on and off for about 3years.I met my 2nd wife there!...Also all over the place with the late Oscer Shields...also a lot of places all over the DC area with Jimmy Case..John Radenbach , and a host of others..Don't forget 7 Corners,Rose Hill,Banister,downtown,Senate Inn, Villige Barn,Hillbilly Heaven....and all of those military Clubs..
Grouchy
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 3:46 am    

Ok, forgive my ignorance and someone please fill me in. Where exactly was the Tin Dipper? I've asked around here and I've gotten a bunch of blank looks.
Curry Coster

Glen Burnie, MD USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2005 5:30 am    

Chris-
The "Dipper" (aka Dawn Rose Farms)was between Laurel and Beltsville on Rte. 1 next to that garden store/nursery (Behnke's?) Great place. They had music upstairs and downstairs. I learned some of my best stuff watching a steeler named Ronnie Eyler play there...Frank Gosman used to own the place....
Curry
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2005 3:40 am    

Aha!!!!! The Dawn Rose!!!!! I know exactly what you guys are talking about now!!! They sadly tore that building down long ago.
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2005 11:35 am    

Uh oh!! The pictures on now up on the web-site on the band page. Now every one can see the face that goes with the super intelligent posts that I put on the forum!! Man, I crack me up!!!!